XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
john24
Romania
Rep
Drives: F10

About to order BMW X1, please help :D

Hi, I'm about to order the X1 till the end of this month, and I was wondering if you could give me some hints about the optional equipment and the engine. I was thinking about the 1.8 xDrive (do you recomand the 2.0d?), with the design cool elegance pack, ambiental light, adaptive headlights, high beam assistant, navigation system, performance control, etc... I was wondering if you know anything about the 8 gear automatic transmission, if it's going to be available on the X1 in the next month or two, because if so, i could delay the order
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Well, it's really a matter of taste and money.... If you can afford it take it fully loaded with the biggest engine !!
Personally I favor power over gizmos on any car...
Most powerful plant, auto clim, rear parking sensors and automatic gearbox make my day.

The 18d is very sufficient in my opinion, now of course the 20d adds just that extra and very welcome 30 horse...
Then the 23d really gives it to you... 200 + horse.. Hey, bare minimum !
      01-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by john24 View Post
Hi, I'm about to order the X1 till the end of this month, and I was wondering if you could give me some hints about the optional equipment and the engine. I was thinking about the 1.8 xDrive (do you recomand the 2.0d?), with the design cool elegance pack, ambiental light, adaptive headlights, high beam assistant, navigation system, performance control, etc... I was wondering if you know anything about the 8 gear automatic transmission, if it's going to be available on the X1 in the next month or two, because if so, i could delay the order
Hi John, welcome here Loads of good tips on this site so I would suggest you read through the threads and you will soon get an idea of what's hot and what's not. Then fire away the questions and I am sure all will help you configure the best car for your taste and budget.

It might help a bit if you could give us an idea of what your main type of driving is, eg city, country, highway etc. Also I am not sure what is available in Romania? Diesel, petrol, 1.8 2.8 etc.

So to begin, XDrive or SDrive? Then as gatekeeper says, what engine? 1.8 is fine if most of your driving is city stuff, but highway, try for something bigger.

Sounds like you are going for an auto box.I have the standard 5-speed and it's fine but as you say the 8- speed is coming soon so you may want to wait. I would guess within the next 3 - 6 months but BMW have not said yet.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
john24
Romania
Rep
Drives: F10

So, the automatic transmission and the X drive are "must have". I would go for the 2.0 d, but I'm not sure if it's worth spending almost 3k on 30 bhp, considering the fact that the car is for my mother, and 90% of the time will be in the city. How is the standard speaker system? Is it ok or should I go for the Hi-Fi one? Also, is it big difference between the sport seats and the standard ones? Is there any optional equipment that you strongly recomand?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
So, the automatic transmission and the X drive are "must have". I would go for the 2.0 d, but I'm not sure if it's worth spending almost 3k on 30 bhp, considering the fact that the car is for my mother, and 90% of the time will be in the city. How is the standard speaker system? Is it ok or should I go for the Hi-Fi one? Also, is it big difference between the sport seats and the standard ones? Is there any optional equipment that you strongly recomand?
No they are not "must have". As Mario said, it all depends on what you gonna be doing with that car (city, country, off-road) and what equipment you favor (your tastes !)

You Mom huh ? Now you say that... But it just sounds to me like your Mum will be buying herself a car and you are just playing with the accessories list and ticking boxes...

Well, tell her to go for a 18d Sdrive, (or XDrive if she doesn't trust her Winter driving skills.) 143 hp are way enough in city and highway driving

Now why would you want to wait for the 8-speed auto if she'll be the user of the car? Is she going to be able to tell the difference between two different auto boxes ? If yes, I want to meet her !
      01-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Quote:
90% in the city - go for AT.
The standard car speaker system is not good, I choosed H/K, sounds GREAAAT
The panorama sunroof is fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
DrawingArt
Private
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320dT xDrive M-Sport

@mario486 - sorry to repair you but you probably wanted to say you have 6-speed Steptronic Auto box
      01-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW120iST View Post
@mario486 - sorry to repair you but you probably wanted to say you have 6-speed Steptronic Auto box
Yep, thanks for correcting me. Its a 6-speed steptronic.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Agree with the others here, for city driving the 1.8d is plenty and as we are talking about the city I would say the following are must haves:

1. Front and rear parking sensors.
2. Folding mirrors.
3. Aircon (if its not standard)
4. Auto lights
5. Auto wipers

Then the following depending on budget:

1. Heated seats
2. Upgraded sound
3. Electric seats (the most important for me as my wife and I are very different sizes)
4. Sport seats (very comfortable)
5. Leather

Just my choices though, each persons will be slightly different.

Oh, and if you get a lot of snow/ice I would say winter tyres are also a must have.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

What do folks think about the Sat/Nav? I've never had it in the past because I read once that it took so long for the system to boot up that it was a real annoyance if you just wanted to start it up and throw it into reverse.

I have a Garmin that I use, but now I'm wondering if I should get Sat/Nav fo the X1?

Is the backup camera worth it?

Thanks.
      01-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
What do folks think about the Sat/Nav? I've never had it in the past because I read once that it took so long for the system to boot up that it was a real annoyance if you just wanted to start it up and throw it into reverse.

I have a Garmin that I use, but now I'm wondering if I should get Sat/Nav fo the X1?

Is the backup camera worth it?

Thanks.
Hi DC, just my opinion, money no object they are fine. Two things however, the Garmin is just as good as a satnav (I have one) and its a bloody expensive option. I would rather spend my cash on the seats (which I have).

PS: Never had a rear camera but I can see the benefit. I find that the rear PDC works very well though.

Last edited by mario486; 01-23-2011 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Hi DC, just my opinion, money no object they are fine. Two things however, the Garmin is just as good as a satnav (I have one) and its a bloody expensive option. I would rather spend my cash on the seats (which I have).

PS: Never had a rear camera but I can see the benefit. I find that the rear PDC works very well though.
That's my thought too, but I'm hoping someone comes up with an impelling reason to get it.
      01-24-2011, 02:32 AM   #13
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
That's my thought too, but I'm hoping someone comes up with an impelling reason to get it.
I could not do without a PDC anymore (I have to remember it when I rent a car without it !).
I have tried a camera once, as much as I see the advantage on a large vehicle (it was a FedEx stepvan), a PDC is way enough on a car (and if it isn't, maybe you shouldn't be driving)

As for SatNav... It's expensive and it's in just one car, can't be transferred the day you rent another or get a courtesy. And that's when you need it generally. Go for it if you can spare the cash.
      01-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #14
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I could not do without a PDC anymore (I have to remember it when I rent a car without it !).
I have tried a camera once, as much as I see the advantage on a large vehicle (it was a FedEx stepvan), a PDC is way enough on a car (and if it isn't, maybe you shouldn't be driving)

As for SatNav... It's expensive and it's in just one car, can't be transferred the day you rent another or get a courtesy. And that's when you need it generally. Go for it if you can spare the cash.
Okay, I won't get the Sat/Nav. I'll save it for more travelling.
      01-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Well, I spent money both for the SAT Nav (Pro) and the camera...

My opinion is that itīs worth every penny...

With the Sat Nav youīll get the radio, and CD, DVD and all settings for the car in the high resolution display, and the navigator works great.

As for the backup camera, now when I got it, I canīt live without it...

But, as I said, that is MY opinon
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive

I'll get mine end of Feb. 20d xdrive. I was also confused which one I should choose (18d-20d). But I was convinced also by Mario + some friends to order the bigger.
I'll buy a navi at MediaMarkt for 100-200 EUR
I've also ordered the PDC (both). Never had them before, but will be useful for sure
Automatic - same: never had before...
No sport seats for me - I might regret that one though.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #17
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
I'll get mine end of Feb. 20d xdrive. I was also confused which one I should choose (18d-20d). But I was convinced also by Mario + some friends to order the bigger.
I'll buy a navi at MediaMarkt for 100-200 EUR
I've also ordered the PDC (both). Never had them before, but will be useful for sure
Automatic - same: never had before...
No sport seats for me - I might regret that one though.
Hey Pepe, congratulations Good choice. PDC's are good in this car as its quite tall if you are used to sedans. They work brilliantly and are actually quite accurate. I have been able to manoeuvre in some tight spots with them where I would have stopped long before they start beeping. Interestingly the sounds come from the speaker closest to the point where the obstruction is. Ie low wall at the right rear, the beeps come from the right rear speaker!

Auto box is also nice, especially in the city. You can always play with the triptronic when you want to have some fun.
Appreciate 0