XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
JetLee
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i Cabrio, '87 CTTC

Standard vs. M Sport Suspension, x28i x35i

I've been considering an X1 as a replacment for my 2010 135i convertible with M Sport package. I've driven the X1 xDrive28i and xDrive35i with standard suspension and it doesn't seem quite right for me. I really like the X3 xDrive35i with M Sport Package w/ Sport Suspension. The X3 is larger than I need and I'd prefer not spending the extra money for it.

While I'm waiting to drive an X1 with M Sport Line, I was wondering what the owners/driver of those thought about the difference in suspension/handling compared to standard suspension and how the balance between the 28i and 35i was (35i being heavier in the front I believe).

I think the wheel/tire combo would make a difference, too. Seems like the low profile 19" wheels would have a nore jarring ride and be prone to damage.

Thanks,

Lee
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Hi Jet, I used to live up the road from you in Laguna Beach, I really miss it out there. We had a 135i coupe before the X1 X-Line. Our 1er was on non RFT's for most of its life, but even compared to that, the X1 is much smoother and has less severe rebound control.

The 28i does feel a little lighter on turn on, but I didn't notice the front having any less impact harshness, etc.

We didn't drive an M Sport, but the standard suspension and more modern runflats ride much smoother than the old Bridgestone RE050's, so I'd think even the M Sport would ride better than your 1er. Of course the 19's would increase harshness a bit, I guess it comes down to style if you want the larger wheels.

As with most BMW's, there's plenty to be gained from ditching the silly RFT's still, but it's less of a penalty than it used to be, however all US X1's come standard on pretty uninspired tires.

One note on the 28i vs 35i decision, while the 35i is listed as 160 pounds heavier it has much larger brakes and a great pedal feel, very similar to the 135i. The 28i we drove felt underbraked, much like the similar F30 328i. Drive both, you may not notice, just something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
JetLee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Hi Jet, I used to live up the road from you in Laguna Beach, I really miss it out there. We had a 135i coupe before the X1 X-Line. Our 1er was on non RFT's for most of its life, but even compared to that, the X1 is much smoother and has less severe rebound control.

The 28i does feel a little lighter on turn on, but I didn't notice the front having any less impact harshness, etc.

We didn't drive an M Sport, but the standard suspension and more modern runflats ride much smoother than the old Bridgestone RE050's, so I'd think even the M Sport would ride better than your 1er. Of course the 19's would increase harshness a bit, I guess it comes down to style if you want the larger wheels.

As with most BMW's, there's plenty to be gained from ditching the silly RFT's still, but it's less of a penalty than it used to be, however all US X1's come standard on pretty uninspired tires.

One note on the 28i vs 35i decision, while the 35i is listed as 160 pounds heavier it has much larger brakes and a great pedal feel, very similar to the 135i. The 28i we drove felt underbraked, much like the similar F30 328i. Drive both, you may not notice, just something to consider.
Thanks for the info, Red Bread. That must be quite a difference going froim Laguna Beach to Dallas.

I like my 135i suspension better than the standard X1 - could be that the convertible 135i is a little softer than the coupe. The brakes are great in the 135i as well. I haven't compared the brake specs between the X1 28i and 35i.

I do have the RE050s.

My last daily driver was the MINI GP and it was too choppy/harsh for me on the SoCal concrete freeways. I tried different wheel/tire combos and even switched out the coilovers for some H&Rs that were a lot nicer.

Lee
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I traded a Mini Clubman S with sport suspension for an X1 with M Sport (18' wheels) and the X1 ride is much smoother. My Clubman S had 17' wheels with RFT's.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I drove the 28i and 35i non m-sport versions before I purchased, and knew immediately that I wanted the 35i M Sport.

It's a really fantastic drive, and I actually recommend you go with the 19 inch wheels to get the fantastic Pirelli P-Zero tires. All of the other tires suck that the X1 comes with.

The suspension is not at all harsh, in my opinion. There is really minimal body roll under very aggressive cornering (easily best in class, and it's not even close - my family also has an Infinity EX35 and Audi Q5) and the larger brakes, torque, and exhaust note of the 35i are a must for me.

Literally twenty minutes ago I finished a 800 mile drive with the 35i M Sport with 19 inch wheels, and it was very comfortable the entire time.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I drove the 28i and 35i non m-sport versions before I purchased, and knew immediately that I wanted the 35i M Sport.

It's a really fantastic drive, and I actually recommend you go with the 19 inch wheels to get the fantastic Pirelli P-Zero tires. All of the other tires suck that the X1 comes with.

The suspension is not at all harsh, in my opinion. There is really minimal body roll under very aggressive cornering (easily best in class, and it's not even close - my family also has an Infinity EX35 and Audi Q5) and the larger brakes, torque, and exhaust note of the 35i are a must for me.

Literally twenty minutes ago I finished a 800 mile drive with the 35i M Sport with 19 inch wheels, and it was very comfortable the entire time.
This is one reason why I went with the 19s. Not only is it a cheap upgrade (especially if you bought 18s and wanted to upgrade to 19s); you get the better tires.

However, I wish the M-Sport had lowered the car more; which is why I am going to install Eibach Sportline springs, which should lower the car 1.5 or so around.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
JetLee
Rep

Thanks All - Looks like I really need to test drive the variances to be sure. That might take a while as the dealers don't have any M Sport Line X1's right now.

I take it you are not planning on driving in the snow with the 19's?

I was looking for a higher driving position and the X1 is a little on the low side compared to the alternatives.

What were you driving before the X1?

Lee
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

18" vs 19" Debate

While I really like the 19" wheel upgrade, for me it simply wasn't worth the compromises. Not only do I live in Michigan, where potholes have been know to swallow entire Mini Coopers, but I live near railroad tracks that need to be traversed daily. I had briefly convinced myself that the 19's would be fine even with just a 3" sidewall. That is, until I researched replacement tires. The choices for matched staggered tires is severely limited, and the OE Pirellis are more than $1,500 per set. Tire Rack currently has just 8 models in the proper fitment, and all are summer tires. While I intend to run winter tires over the colder months and summer tires the remainder of the time, I still wanted the option to switch to all-seasons later should the need aris.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=57425&tab=All
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
JetLee
Rep

Test Drives Over the Weekend

I drove 3 X1's over the weekend, and an X3 with M Sport Package and sport suspension delete. Here's my personal and very subjective take on each:

1. X1 xDrive35i - M Sport Line, 18" and 19" wheels - neither had the paddle shifters ;-).

Common for both wheel types driven: Very sporty and exciting to drive- great 6 cylinder exhaust sound and acceleration!

I rolled down the windows, opened the sunroof and put the 6 speed auto in sport/manual mode and thought it was fun to shift and reacted well - great sound! The salesman said that BMW advised that this transmission and the ratios were better suited to the N55 vs. the 8-speed used on the 4 cyl cars. Maybe it's true.

The steering seemed fine, although not as nice as my 135i.

Suspension is quite firm and a little harsh for my taste. It reminds me a little of the E36 M3 but more compliant. Seems much less refined than my 2010 135i cabriolet w/ M Sport Package.

18" wheel tire combo: I drove this on the freeway and on some twisties with a few bumps.
19" wheel tire/combo: This would be my choice in an area with decent roads. I really like the appearance of these wheels but wouldn't have much fun cleaning them. As others have noted, the tires on the 19" are better for performance driving; Although they are 30/35 profile, they don't look too thin. I drove this at a different dealer/area with straight roads in very good condition and no twisties so I can't make a direct comparison vs. the 18"s.

2. X1 xDrive28i plain Jane (no "Line") with 17" wheels/tires without Servotronic:

Not too exciting for me coming from a car with N54 engine and manual trans. The steering was heavy and seemed to have a very slow ratio - had to turn the wheel pretty far to make a U-turn. I'd suggest trying the Servotronic on this combo before commiting.

3. X3 xDrive35i with M Sport Package and Sport Suspension Delete:

I had previously driven this with the sport suspension and DHP and it seemed much better with them. The N55 with 8 speed Sport transmission is a great combo. This was a different dealer and roads, so again I can't make a super accurate cross comparison. It's a little bigger than I need, less sporty, and more than I'd like to spend.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

Wish we could know if they were going to change the transmission any time soon for the 35i. Or bring over a diesel.
Appreciate 0