Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #67
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The fact that the N55 has a nearly flat power band sort of negates the value of actually shifting. My wife has gone five years now with an N54 and an N55 with no paddles, and I've tried my best to justify manually shifting her cars, but ultimately just go back to DS and let it do it's thing.

I could see wanting them for track use, but don't see the X1 (M Sport or not) being a very amusing track car.
I find the quality of driving much much better shifting myself with the 35, I tried DS once and i just do not think it did as well (still shifting prematurely or oddly late at times) or felt good. Ymmv as I always drive autos/automated manuals in manual mode and have for years in a variety of cars - controlling the gear changes is a completely different driving experience even if not a stick

Last edited by M3tallicar; 02-04-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #68
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i work car...

I will be getting my 35i Msport Saturday the 9th if all goes well. I will update on the paddle deal at that point
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #69
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrus14 View Post
I will be getting my 35i Msport Saturday the 9th if all goes well. I will update on the paddle deal at that point
I'm pretty certain that all M Sports built Dec onwards had paddle shifters by default vs having to select it in the order interface
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #70
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post
I'm pretty certain that all M Sports built Dec onwards had paddle shifters by default vs having to select it in the order interface
The one I ordered is evidence to the contrary. Built in December, and BMW went out of their way to change the steering wheel from 7XA (paddles) to 710 (no paddles).
Perhaps you meant ordered December onwards?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #71
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
The one I ordered is evidence to the contrary. Built in December, and BMW went out of their way to change the steering wheel from 7XA (paddles) to 710 (no paddles).
Perhaps you meant ordered December onwards?
Just know this said it was supposed to be standard - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=paddles

It says produced, perhaps the sales guy somehow messed up entering the order
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #72
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post
Just know this said it was supposed to be standard - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=paddles

It says produced, perhaps the sales guy somehow messed up entering the order
No, the paper trail shows that the order went in with X7A, which was later changed by BMW to 710. There's even a name of the person at BMW who changed it.

So clearly, not all X1 M-Sport models produced in December or later have the paddle shifters. There's now a Le Mans blue one on the lot of my dealer for $49,200, should anyone be interested in buying an M-Sport without paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #73
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Why even offer an M Sport without paddles? The paddles don't get in the way if you don't use them. BMW is in the wrong for this F-up with the paddles. If I was in Grovsnus' situation I'd be pissed too [and would not take delivery]. While my M Sport was delivered properly, the dealer said they had received at least one other December production that was missing paddles.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #74
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep

Laid eyes on my X1 35i tonight. It has the paddle shifters and the old shifter not the new electronic shifter
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special - Mine
2014 Harley Davidson Breakout - Wifey
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #75
CLD
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 M xDrive35i

Interesting. I get my 35i in 2 weeks...and was told by the dealership no to paddles and yes to the new shifter. It was built in January. I'm not sure what to expect...I would like both...but if I had to chose, i would like the new shifter over the paddles.

2 weeks.

Quote:
Laid eyes on my X1 35i tonight. It has the paddle shifters and the old shifter not the new electronic shifter
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #76
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLD
Interesting. I get my 35i in 2 weeks...and was told by the dealership no to paddles and yes to the new shifter. It was built in January. I'm not sure what to expect...I would like both...but if I had to chose, i would like the new shifter over the paddles.

2 weeks.

Quote:
Mine finished production January 10th. I prefer the old shifter as opposed to new electronic one. I wanted the paddle shifters as well
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special - Mine
2014 Harley Davidson Breakout - Wifey
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #77
CLD
Rep

Mine finished production shortly thereafter. Did you specify you wanted the paddles? I didn't see it as an option when I ordered my car...but then again, I didn't look for it and it didn't jump out on the list of options. The new 35i X3's come with the new electronic shifter...so if they are both using the same engine...why the different shifter? Weird though cause BMW Canada and the dealership said yes, it will get the new shifter. 2 weeks...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #78
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLD View Post
Mine finished production shortly thereafter. Did you specify you wanted the paddles? I didn't see it as an option when I ordered my car...but then again, I didn't look for it and it didn't jump out on the list of options. The new 35i X3's come with the new electronic shifter...so if they are both using the same engine...why the different shifter? Weird though cause BMW Canada and the dealership said yes, it will get the new shifter. 2 weeks...
The X1 has more in common with the E82 1 series and E9x 3 series than the F25 X3. I think your dealer is wrong and your 35i will arrive with the old 6sp shifter.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #79
CLD
Rep

Every post and picture indicates the old shifter...you might be right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
The X1 has more in common with the E82 1 series and E9x 3 series than the F25 X3. I think your dealer is wrong and your 35i will arrive with the old 6sp shifter.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #80
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yes, the X1 35i still uses the 6s and gets the old style shifter. The 28i had the 8s and the electronic shifter.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #81
jrstech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550

My '13 just started production and the build sheet make mention of paddle's, not sure what to expect.

Your X1 sDrive28i Selected Options
Servotronic
Light Fineline Wood Trim
Driver Assistance Package•Park Distance Control
•Rear-view camera

Lighting Package•Automatic high beams
•Adaptive light control
•Xenon headlights
•Ambiance lighting

M Sport Line•M Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters
•High-gloss Roof Rails
•Increased top speed limiter
•Sport suspension
•Aerodynamic kit
•Anthracite headliner
•Sport seats
•Shadowline exterior trim
•Chrome-line exterior trim

Ultimate Package•Technology Package
•Premium Package
•Driver Assistance Package

Premium Package•Universal garage-door opener
•Interior mirror with compass
•Power front seats with driver seat memory
•Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
•Comfort Access keyless entry
•Panoramic moonroof
•Lumbar support

Technology Package•Navigation system
•Voice-command
•BMW Assist with Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #82
bimmer man
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 745le xdrive 2020, i3 2020

Garage List
2020 745le  [0.00]
2012 640i  [10.00]
The 8-speed auto is so quick to change gears. so you need not paddle shift. I have peddle shifters on my 535d but I never use it because the gearbox changes gear faster than what you can change gears with paddle shifters. So you would not miss them. But it looks better with the shifters on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #83
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstech View Post
My '13 just started production and the build sheet make mention of paddle's, not sure what to expect.
The build sheet is, unfortunately, not authoritative, as both the dealer and BMW can change it.

If it went into production, there will be a VIN. Either get it from your dealer, or by logging in to "my bmw", call up the tracking page for the car, and look at the source. If the VIN has been assigned, the last seven characters will be in a hidden field there. Search for VIN_7 in the HTML source.

Armed with the VIN, go to http://bmwvin.com and enter it.

If your M-Sport has the paddle shifters, there will be a line saying:

S7XAA M LEDERLENK.+SCHALTWIP.+MULTIF. M Leathr. wheel+shift paddle+multifunc.

If not, you will see:

S710A M LEDERLENKRAD M leather steering wheel

(You'll also get the full VIN on the result page - useful if you want to get an insurance quote.)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #84
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer man View Post
The 8-speed auto is so quick to change gears. so you need not paddle shift
You do not seem to understand the purpose of manual shifting with an automatic. That the automatic is quick doesn't help you engine braking, or downshifting to have higher torque at the price of burning more gas in anticipation of having to step on it, or any of the other scenarios where you would want to pick a different gear than what the automatic would.

Sure, you can use the stick for it, but then you have to take one hand off the wheel, and depending on what you do, potentially leave it there.

Once you're used to using paddle shifters, and not just to mimic the automatic, going back is an actual loss.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #85
jrstech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550

Quote:
The build sheet is, unfortunately, not authoritative, as both the dealer and BMW can change it.

If it went into production, there will be a VIN. Either get it from your dealer, or by logging in to "my bmw", call up the tracking page for the car, and look at the source. If the VIN has been assigned, the last seven characters will be in a hidden field there. Search for VIN_7 in the HTML source.

Armed with the VIN, go to http://bmwvin.com and enter it.

If your M-Sport has the paddle shifters, there will be a line saying:

If not, you will see:

S710A M LEDERLENKRAD M leather steering wheel

(You'll also get the full VIN on the result page - useful if you want to get an insurance quote.)
Thanks for the info, yes it looks like it does have paddles:
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #86
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
You do not seem to understand the purpose of manual shifting with an automatic. That the automatic is quick doesn't help you engine braking, or downshifting to have higher torque at the price of burning more gas in anticipation of having to step on it, or any of the other scenarios where you would want to pick a different gear than what the automatic would.

Sure, you can use the stick for it, but then you have to take one hand off the wheel, and depending on what you do, potentially leave it there.

Once you're used to using paddle shifters, and not just to mimic the automatic, going back is an actual loss.

It's about the driver making rpm and shifting decisions vs BMW's programming.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #87
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Question......how bad is the delay for manual shifting? By that, I mean how much lag is there between when you initiate a shift (down or up) and when the ECU/trans programming actually initiates the shift?
      02-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #88
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I would completely refuse my X1 M-sport and then probably break some stuff at the dealership if I went through this debacle. So crazy. We did not get paddles on our base X1 because my wife would never use them, but in the rare time I drive it I wish they were there. Thankfully DS actually does a good job IMO, especially driving up winding mountain roads.
Appreciate 0