XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
xirsteon
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive

Am I crazy to pay this much for a non-cpo '13 X1?

Greetings Everyone. I have been following this forum for over a year. I finally registered few days ago to see about getting some inputs from current X1 owners and bimmer experts in general.

I am considering a '13 X1 with some key pkgs included and I am on the fence whether to do it or not.

Year: 2013 (non-cpo)

Pkgs: Tech, Driver Assist (PDC and R.Camera), Cold Weather, Premium, and xLine (all pkgs totaled is worth $8240 or so)

KBB estimated: $29,000

Color: Black/black

Dealer will throw in brand new Non RFTs (not sure which brand is better for these).

Dealer Asking Price: $29,990 (the car w/o pkgs is around $25,500). Car is in pristine condition from several test drives.

Wife and I test drove the car twice each and the car will mainly be for her. She doesn't mind the shortcomings and it'll be used for roughly 60mile trip in North East region so the AWD is a plus. We have been cross shopping other cars (not exactly apples to apples) but we considered price points and value for $$.

We cross shopped 2013 (RDX, CX-5, and X3 (not exactly apples to apples)). I like the RDX because of cargo space and leg room, and I thought it felt a bit premium (even tho it's a glorified CRV). I like the CX-5 look but I despise the interior (feels cheap), and I thought the X3 is too big and has some kind of drag to it.

We also cross shopped Mazda6 '14 and Accord EX-L '14 and wife didn't like the Accord (her words: too sluggish ..i.e. CVT, poor suspension, and cargo ******* She liked the Mazda6 as it drove sportier, plus better seat comfort. I hated the infotainment of the 6. It looked and feels like some chinese kid designed it out of his mother's basement. I noticed several owners of the 6 had jerky transmission issues, paint peeling issues on wheels, some few rust here and there).

I am hoping for someone in this forum to convince me that I am not crazy to drop $29k on a '13 X1 with said pkgs. I am also asking myself if I am better off getting a '14 X1 (not that it is different from the '13) but I am afraid I may not get these many pkgs at this price point.

I am also considering X3 but I highly doubt I'll find one ('13 or '14) with decent mileage and in good condition with some of the mentioned pkgs above. I am going back for a 3rd RDX test drive again after this post to get another perspective.

Is the money better spent on a different vehicle altogether? (and no I'm not interested in Evoque, Ford Edge, or any other.

The other thing that bothers me about the X1 is that I've to take the car to the dealer to code the battery if I ever replace it elsewhere. I am not so sure why it needs to be coded if the battery meets factory specs and requirements. I can live w/o the spare and tight space and other few nags. I most likely will replace the stock yellow halogen with either Philips H7 or Osram one that I have seen used around here.

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions.

Last edited by xirsteon; 11-20-2015 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: edited
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Is it a 28i or 35i?

Personally I would not pay anywhere close to that for a non-CPO 28i, but it seems like a reasonable price for a non-CPO 35i.

I've had mine (2014 28i xdrive) for a little over a month now and absolutely love it. The Grand Touring CX-5 was the other vehicle I was looking at. In the end it was the fact that I was able to get a much better performing car as a CPO (so better warranty than a new Mazda) for less $$$ than the CX-5.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
xirsteon
Private
Rep

It is x28.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

I paid $27K for my 2014 with Cold Weather, Tech, Premium & Lighting packages (so no xLine or Driver Assist).

I would say that being a CPO pretty much evenly offsets the xLine & DA packages, so personally I would not go much over $27K especially since this is a year older than mine.

Make sure you are aware of the asking price for as many lower priced local vehicles as you can to arm yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
I paid $27K for my 2014 with Cold Weather, Tech, Premium & Lighting packages (so no xLine or Driver Assist).

I would say that being a CPO pretty much evenly offsets the xLine & DA packages, so personally I would not go much over $27K especially since this is a year older than mine.

Make sure you are aware of the asking price for as many lower priced local vehicles as you can to arm yourself.
If you don't mind, how many miles was on your CPO '14? I totally wouldn't mind your package.

Wife and I just returned from test driving the RDX once more and (as predicted) she liked the soft steering on the '13 RDX CPO. The RDX also has 40kmi on it and asking price is $27500 before uncle Sam and other fees.

She whined that the RDX seems more roomier, higher ground clearance and had a half spare tire. Thanks for your input again.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

A couple hundred miles over 20K.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't mind having the rear camera, but it's a "nice to have" not a "need to have" option to me.

I also looked at a Sport Line and liked the extra side support of the sport seats. but again that would have been a "nice to have" option.

One of my hard requirements was a sub $30K, so I never seriously looked at the RDX as anything in that price range wasn't a CPO and had too many miles for my liking. But like yours with the RDX, my wife liked the added size of the X3, but in the end she agreed it wasn't worth the added cost (especially since this is primarily my everyday driver).
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't mind having the rear camera, but it's a "nice to have" not a "need to have" option to me.

I also looked at a Sport Line and liked the extra side support of the sport seats. but again that would have been a "nice to have" option.

One of my hard requirements was a sub $30K, so I never seriously looked at the RDX as anything in that price range wasn't a CPO and had too many miles for my liking. But like yours with the RDX, my wife liked the added size of the X3, but in the end she agreed it wasn't worth the added cost (especially since this is primarily my everyday driver).
That was what I was going for as well. Something with just over 20kmi or 25kmi. Was that your out the door price on your X1 or before? Wife likes the X1 too aside from the things she whined about. I also think the X1 is a better value in the long term (re-sale value, etc). I especially like how the wide screen on the X1 gives it an upscale/premium look. I don't care much for the Nav. Just wished BMW made one w/o it but still leave the screen (charge some bucks for it).
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

If I recall my pre-tax price was somewhere around $27.5K.

Nav wasn't important to me, but I do prefer having the Tech package. Like you say it adds a premium quality to the car and from what I can tell makes integration with other devices easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #10
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
If I recall my pre-tax price was somewhere around $27.5K.

Nav wasn't important to me, but I do prefer having the Tech package. Like you say it adds a premium quality to the car and from what I can tell makes integration with other devices easier.

May be it is because of where I am (NY - NorthEast). I find it hard to find any with decent miles (< 35kmi) with Cold Wthr, Premium or Tech Pkg combined. The ones that do have few of the pkgs are asking for absurd amount.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

It seems to me that the asking price for that car is extremely high.

I got mine for $28,500 CAD (so about $21,500 USD)
It's a 2013 28i X1 CPO
41,000 km (25,000 mi)
Premium, executive, navigation, lighting package (the packages don't exactly translate between US and Canadian models but it has heated seats with memory, sunroof, comfort access that are all included... And I think we get cold weather automatically?)

Take a look at import possibilities as that might be FAR cheaper as you can see.

Also I would HIGHLY recommend the lighting package as the HID's are far superior to the halogens.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #12
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
It seems to me that the asking price for that car is extremely high.

I got mine for $28,500 CAD (so about $21,500 USD)
It's a 2013 28i X1 CPO
41,000 km (25,000 mi)
Premium, executive, navigation, lighting package (the packages don't exactly translate between US and Canadian models but it has heated seats with memory, sunroof, comfort access that are all included... And I think we get cold weather automatically?)

Take a look at import possibilities as that might be FAR cheaper as you can see.

Also I would HIGHLY recommend the lighting package as the HID's are far superior to the halogens.
Lucky you in CA. I'm about to give up on the X1. The '14s CPOs that I could find with the lightning pkg are around $36k and they're 3 hours away from me. That's considerably more than I'm willing to pay. The current asking price is already out of my budgeted price. I'd love to import it if I could and if it wouldn't be too much to ask of me. At end the leg work has to be justified or not. If you have any ideas where I could check in CAD (Montreal perhaps), pls send them my way.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #13
black-box
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xD35 (1998 M3 RIP)

A 2013 should still have some of the factory warranty, right? Is there a reason they won't CPO it? that would be my biggest concern.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #14
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Mine had over a year and a half of original warranty remaining at the time is purchase. And I imagine they look at what it would cost to CPO and go from there. The car has to be practically new - on mine they replaced some interior pieces as they were scratched - if there's too much damage they end up spending more on it than they get back in the price increase. The problem is they might notice some wear that points to a shortened life span....

I'm on the other shore, so unless you're coming into Vancouver I can't really help.
Try looking for dealership ratings on Google maps for signs of quality. To be fair the only bad dealership in my area is bad for after sale service but they're great during the sale itself...

You can find all the prices by doing a search on BMW.CA and this way you'll see all the CPO's available as well. You should be able to filter by the model and area you're looking at.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #15
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirsteon View Post
Lucky you in CA. I'm about to give up on the X1 .
Don't give up, you'll find the one you're looking for! Lol

I imported my last car from the States and it wasn't hard at all, but you have to know what the import fees are to check if it's worth it - chances are it will be at the exchange rate.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #16
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I'll sell you my '14 for $26000 USD. $29990 is way too much for that car. Doing searches around Calgary for these things and you can pick up nicely equipped cars for just over $25000 CDN, that's less than 20k USD.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #17
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Doing searches around Calgary for these things and you can pick up nicely equipped cars for just over $25000 CDN, that's less than 20k USD.
Maybe I should have checked Calgary before buying mine! Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 09:06 PM   #18
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by black-box View Post
A 2013 should still have some of the factory warranty, right? Is there a reason they won't CPO it? that would be my biggest concern.
It is not from a BMW dealer per se. It is from a small auto dealer who sells a lot of high end luxury cars ...think La Ferrari, Maserati, Lambo, Audi, BMW (lots of it). His cars are always in pristine shape for one reason or the other. There is even one reviewer who came all the way from Canada to buy a car there.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #19
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Don't give up, you'll find the one you're looking for! Lol

I imported my last car from the States and it wasn't hard at all, but you have to know what the import fees are to check if it's worth it - chances are it will be at the exchange rate.
I'll keep looking. I actually saw a 35i in NJ with lightning pkg, ultimate pkg, tech for 29k with 35kmi on it but upon a quick trip to merry Google/Bing, it was all 1 stars with shady business (this is actually a BMW dealership). Most of them said they sold them cars that had issues or broke down shortly after they bought it.

I sure do check the carfax and use NICB as well but my gut tells me to stay clear from those kind of dealers especially giving that this is a large purchase. I can't afford to be going to NJ post-purchase (because you know they wont answer their phones after the sale).
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #20
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
I'll sell you my '14 for $26000 USD. $29990 is way too much for that car. Doing searches around Calgary for these things and you can pick up nicely equipped cars for just over $25000 CDN, that's less than 20k USD.
Tempting. Why would you want to sell it? I would think it's your daily driver. Do you mind sending me a pic of your car anyway? What pkgs do you have on it? how many km?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #21
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe I should have checked Calgary before buying mine! Lol
BMWs are currently mentally cheap here! Except new cars, they're not giving any deals. But some of the CPO cars on the lots here are absolute steals.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 10:33 PM   #22
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirsteon View Post
Tempting. Why would you want to sell it? I would think it's your daily driver. Do you mind sending me a pic of your car anyway? What pkgs do you have on it? how many km?
I'm selling it because I'm buying an M2. My daily is now my POS Land Rover. I have pics all over this site, some on my page. I have everything but Nav, BU cam and front parking sensors. It's a sport line, BSM on black dakota leather with the 2015 cluster cover and main dash trim piece. I've done Dinan st1, aFe intake, ACS springs, tint, blacked out the turn signals on the mirrors, did the brow on the headlights. I also have all the factory parts plus I'll throw in the JB4 box and the ER downpipe I had on.

Currently sits at about 54000 kms, 33000 mi. Mostly highway driving. When I get home I'll be able to take better pics of the car, but I'm at work 500 mi away from home until late Wednesday.
Appreciate 0