Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

03-15-2024, 02:54 AM   #1
kinstak
Rep
Drives: F48, E84

Sagging Sunroof BMW

Hi!

Owner of a BMW X1 E84 here. Some months ago my sunroof headliner (only the headliner attached to the sunroof shade) started to sag.

I have been looking at fixing it but dealer wants $2.500 and the DIY *for this particular model* is pretty insane as it requires to drop the entire casette, disassemble Airbags, monroof, etc. I am an avid DIYer, but also break things some times and for this one I just don’t feel like doing it.

Because disassembly is so complicated, i am considering options that do not require me to remove the sunroof. This has led me to 2 options that I am considering:

1) what if I reapply Glue (3M 77) and try to stick the sagging fabric back? I know the foam has deteriorated and that it never will stick as good as it did, But I want to understand if I will buy myself some time? Anyone has succesfully done this and have it last?

2) If I buy new Liner material with new foam, remove the existing fabric, and clean up the orange foam from my sunroof, How difficult is it to install the new liner without removing the sunroof? — this would mean having to apply the new liner “against” gravity if that makes sense.

I know either sounds pretty bad, but removing the sunroof is a no-go for me.

Thanks!

Last edited by kinstak; 03-15-2024 at 03:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 05:16 PM   #2
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinstak View Post
Hi!

Owner of a BMW X1 E84 here. Some months ago my sunroof headliner (only the headliner attached to the sunroof shade) started to sag.

I have been looking at fixing it but dealer wants $2.500 and the DIY *for this particular model* is pretty insane as it requires to drop the entire casette, disassemble Airbags, monroof, etc. I am an avid DIYer, but also break things some times and for this one I just don’t feel like doing it.

Because disassembly is so complicated, i am considering options that do not require me to remove the sunroof. This has led me to 2 options that I am considering:

1) what if I reapply Glue (3M 77) and try to stick the sagging fabric back? I know the foam has deteriorated and that it never will stick as good as it did, But I want to understand if I will buy myself some time? Anyone has succesfully done this and have it last?

2) If I buy new Liner material with new foam, remove the existing fabric, and clean up the orange foam from my sunroof, How difficult is it to install the new liner without removing the sunroof? — this would mean having to apply the new liner “against” gravity if that makes sense.

I know either sounds pretty bad, but removing the sunroof is a no-go for me.

Thanks!
Have the same problem. Biggest issue is that the sunroof panels have paid tabs that deteriorate and break off and can render the panels useless...

I had a local shop quote me $1800 to replace the tabs and drop headliner, cassette and repair the panels... that was 3 years ago.

I decided to keep sunroof closed and pulled fuse 25 and it's the springy windshield covers in the sunroof hole
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2024, 12:12 PM   #3
kinstak
Rep
Drives: F48, E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
Have the same problem. Biggest issue is that the sunroof panels have paid tabs that deteriorate and break off and can render the panels useless...

I had a local shop quote me $1800 to replace the tabs and drop headliner, cassette and repair the panels... that was 3 years ago.

I decided to keep sunroof closed and pulled fuse 25 and it's the springy windshield covers in the sunroof hole
Thanks this is useful. My sunroof is working perfectly, so I guess my tabs are not broken yet, but might get broken in the process.

I have read some posts, and it seems that the front panel is not that difficult to remove -- See link here -- it seems that you can just open the sunroof, take the glass out, and then remove the front panel. Does this sound right to you? Is there risk of breaking the plastic guides even for this one?

The one that seems more difficult to remove / access is the back panel, would you agree with this?

If I can manage to solve the front panel I was thinking about reglueing my existing liner or a new liner with new foam to the sunroof shades without removing the panel from the car cwickberg. I know this is very unorthodox, but would you say this is feasible?
Appreciate 0