Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jeep GC Overland

Australian X1 resale values

So has anyone got opinions as to why X1's dont seem to be holding their value very well? I unfortunately am having to sell mine while its not even 18 months old. Its advertised nearly $20,000 below cost and no one is interested...

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...1&sort=default
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

I couldn't see the link ... I got a message saying "Server Busy", but 18 months is way too early to sell a car and expect a reasonable price relative to the new price in Australia.

I would be looking at way more than 30% off the equivalent new price to quit an 18 month old BMW, or for that matter, any other marque!

Prestige cars in Australia depreciate at a much higher rate in the first couple of years, than in subsequent years.

Good luck with the sale ... sometimes patience is required to get the best price.

Last edited by danintas; 01-23-2012 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

Most people buying BMWs new or nearly new in Australia would be on lease. So why would anyone for the sake of a few hundred dollars a month, get a second hand car rather than a new car, which has the full 3 year warranty and roadside assist plus you would typically get a replacement new car in the first two years if the car is a writeoff from the insurance company (at least from AAMI).

Which is why a new car would drop a few grand as soon as it hits the road anhen depreciation rate slows down. The first 18 to 24 months are the hardest on depreciation. I expect the X1 to hold its value well after 4 years. Redbook is still saying 66 - 67% after 3 years which is more than decent.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danintas View Post
I couldn't see the link ... I got a message saying "Server Busy", but 18 months is way too early to sell a car and expect a reasonable price relative to the new price in Australia.

I would be looking at way more than 30% off the equivalent new price to quit an 18 month old BMW, or for that matter, any other marque!

Prestige cars in Australia depreciate at a much higher rate in the first couple of years, than in subsequent years.

Good luck with the sale ... sometimes patience is required to get the best price.
Fair enough... Though it is advertised at near 30% less than the new price and I'd accept 30% less than the new price. That would save a buyer over $400 per month on lease payments making the monthly payment just over 2/3's what it would be on a brand new car. No long wait for the car to be delivered either!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Nayook
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Pickles Auctions

Have you considered if there is a better chance of a decent price from Pickles Auctions?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

I can see your advertisement now ... the car has some great options, which unfortunately also loads up the the new price.

Still at that price I would consider it a very good buy!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojim View Post
Have you considered if there is a better chance of a decent price from Pickles Auctions?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
brettnosse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini

Looks good car!! I would think it would sell quick! Maybe change the main pic? That might get some interest. ie perhaps a shot just before Dusk, with the lights on??? Kinda like I did with my Cooper S ? that got lots more looks than the car did with just a day shot...

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep

yeah... i was thinking about that! good point.
Appreciate 0