01-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Thumbs down Wing Mirror Ripped Off

<rant on>

I have nothing against lorry drivers, and know they can't see you half the time, but when I'm stopped in traffic and the road is not wide enough for you to get past... why try?

A lorry was edging past me and totally broke my passenger side wing mirror in 2. It was left dangling by the power cable and completely snapped.

The guy just drove off without a care in the world. I tried to give chase, but he was long gone by the time the lane I was in moved enough for me to get out.

Now here's the really f***ing annoying part... I have the electric adjustable, heated, dipping, folding, and auto dimming mirror, which in the UK supplied and fitted by BMW is a whopping £868! Yes eight hundred and sixty eight pounds. WTF?

I've found a few on eBay, but none are auto-dimming. Used ones in the wrong colour (non auto-dimming) are somewhere around £200, but I would still need to get it painted and fitted, which again in the UK is a f***ing joke. £75 painting for that small bit of plastic, and £150 an hour for fitting. Double WTF?

I've decided to go through my insurer and pay the excess (which is enough anyway) and hope they can claim back my excess from the details I've given them about the lorry and driver. Not going to hold out much hope here, but you never know. Got the registration, colour, lorry type, driver description, and exact location it happened. Just couldn’t get the lorry companies name on the side.

Not the best Monday I've ever had

<rant off>

J.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Damn, sorry to hear about this!

Hopefully your insurance will cover it!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

I feel your pain.
Several weeks ago, someone punctured the lens cover of my wife's X1 rear tail light. The hole was made with a sharp object by someone who must be under the mistaken that X1 owners are members of the hated 1% filthy rich.
The light still worked fine as only the outer lens cover was damaged, but the light is a sealed unit and cost just under $600 to replace.
      08-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
Paulwalk2
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 X Drive 2013

Hi all, the wife has smashed and basically destroyed the passenger side door mirror on our UK E84 2013. BMW want over £800 for just the parts. Does anyone know where I can get it cheaper?

It is the one with the LED indicator on it.

Thanks Paul.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwalk2 View Post
Hi all, the wife has smashed and basically destroyed the passenger side door mirror on our UK E84 2013. BMW want over £800 for just the parts. Does anyone know where I can get it cheaper?

It is the one with the LED indicator on it.

Thanks Paul.
While on the left side of the pond, in Virginia try this salvage yard:

http://mandmautosalvage.itshelp.us/a...sp?ID=18043528

The mirror is on the driver's side which is your passenger side
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
Paulwalk2
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 X Drive 2013

Thanks, I'm trying to now sort out shipping.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 03:47 AM   #7
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Hi Paul

I found a few on eBay, but not in my colour and not auto dimming. I've bought car stuff with electronics before from eBay and been let down, so bit the bullet and went through my insurance. I didn't look at breakers yards, but wouldn't have thought there's many X1's in them.

BMW was around £800 too, but that was all in with painting and fitting. Cost me £400 in the end which was steep enough!

J.
Appreciate 0