XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Too cold in Los Angeles this morning for ASS/coins?

I left my garage at 5:30 am and soon eased to a stop at the first traffic light. There was that ominous "beep" of a warning/announcement. I thought, "oh no, not on a Monday morning..." - although there's never a good time for something to go wrong.

Turned out I was being informed that it was 37 F in Los Angeles, and at that temp, the ASS automatically closes down. Here's hoping I don't have that experience again...just because there have to be some advantages to living in LA, and never getting to 37 F should be one of them.

By the time I pulled off the freeway and next came to a full stop it was warm enough to re-engage.

Let me throw in a side topic - where do other X1 drivers stow their spare change/coins? I was putting it in the tray in the console compartment but the rattling was making me crazy. I don't want to leave it at the bottom of the compartment, where I'd have to fish around blindly for a quarter or two...

Guess I'll buy a small coin purse and keep it in there...In my Lexus IS250 there was am "ashtray" compartment that was perfect for coins...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
conceyted
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
I left my garage at 5:30 am and soon eased to a stop at the first traffic light. There was that ominous "beep" of a warning/announcement. I thought, "oh no, not on a Monday morning..." - although there's never a good time for something to go wrong.

Turned out I was being informed that it was 37 F in Los Angeles, and at that temp, the ASS automatically closes down. Here's hoping I don't have that experience again...just because there have to be some advantages to living in LA, and never getting to 37 F should be one of them.

By the time I pulled off the freeway and next came to a full stop it was warm enough to re-engage.

Let me throw in a side topic - where do other X1 drivers stow their spare change/coins? I was putting it in the tray in the console compartment but the rattling was making me crazy. I don't want to leave it at the bottom of the compartment, where I'd have to fish around blindly for a quarter or two...

Guess I'll buy a small coin purse and keep it in there...In my Lexus IS250 there was am "ashtray" compartment that was perfect for coins...
The owner's manual for your X1 lists the many different scenarios where A.S.S. will automatically prevent itself from engaging.

As for your coins, I have not looked into a solution to this issue, yet, but I think I would use a spring loaded coin holder before I used some sort of coin purse. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Accesso...ds=coin+holder
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Rockfish66
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xdrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post

LOL. It never occurred to me that not everyone has had to live with BMW's notorious "37 degree chime from hell!" You guys in warm places have it lucky.

Those of us in cold climates have hated this thing for years, decades even. On my E46 the chime is the same as the seat belt/ low oil pressure/ other serious stuff buzzer. You'll be just driving along and BAM!!! the damn thing goes off and you panic thinking something serious has happened and then you see the blinking 37 and you are relieved and pissed off all at the same time. And then it happens again a few minutes later, and again on the way home... You get my point.

I have seen dozens of threads over the years, and apparently this is one thing that no dealer, aftermarket company, or genius computer hacker has ever figured out how to disable. The lawyers got that sucker in there good, for sure!

Sorry. Rant over!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Coins? You got toll roads or parking meters that still take coins down there?
I don't think I've used a coin for a couple of years, at least.
Back when that was still around, I used my shirt pocket for coins.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Yeah Rockfish that chime is disconcerting. So it chimes everytime you start the car in weather 37 F or below? Sheesh...We are having a cold winter in So Cal, but I don't want to complain on a national/international forum, since our coldest winter temp would still be pretty good many other places...and it is supposed to be in the low 70s by the end of the week...

As for coins, I usually use them for water vending machines. I don't need anything built in for coins...I just kind of figured there's be some sort of small cubbyhole that could serve the function.

Is that tray in the console intended for the IPhone or other phones? It's such a bizarre design. Oh well guess I'll pull out the manual again.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

The older BMWs (E36/E39/E46) had integrated, sping loaded coin holders. The E46 had a great design [I thought] as it rotated into the center console relatively hidden.

It seems that many car washes and valets raid the ashtray for quarters so I started using a Mentos Gum container to store my quarters. Perfect size for quarters, but the gum is just ok.
      01-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
The older BMWs (E36/E39/E46) had integrated, sping loaded coin holders. The E46 had a great design [I thought] as it rotated into the center console relatively hidden.
Yup. If I remember my old 325i correctly, it was under the center armrest.
      01-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
TheGuru2You
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini

I live in SoCal too but mine went off in the driveway. I heard you can code the chime out.

As for coins, I use the cup holder in the armrest. I never use that on anyway.
Appreciate 0