Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep
Drives: X1

Vibration on the Steering Wheel When Braking from High Speeds

Hello,

I've recently got my 18i back from the service after having the broken suspension changed.
Now I noticed that the steering wheel is shuddering when I am braking from high speeds like 100+ km/h (100 mph). The brake pedal doesn't vibrate.
It feels like brake plate got skewed, like this:

Could it be so? If yes, is it really necessary to replace the brakes and rotors, or it's okay? I can live with the shudder, it doesn't irritate me much, provided that failure to replace the disc wouldn't lead to breaking other parts.

What could be the cause. It's been once I've been doing speedy driving while it was raining but I recall me doing extreme braking.

What online store would you recommend to purchase a good replacement? I'd love the one with shipping to Eastern Europe and Russia.

Thank you in advance.

EH
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Your suspension got broken? How come? Are you happy with your car still? Have mine for 17 months now, happy.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

Could be that the wheels are out of balance - easy to check and fix at tyre dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
Your suspension got broken? How come? Are you happy with your car still? Have mine for 17 months now, happy.
Oh, that has come as a result of an accident. A smart@$$ on Teana managed to attempt to overtake me when I was about to make a left turn. As a result, that Teana bumped right into my left wheel making the front suspension go in hell.
I think, I'd swear there was no shudder in braking before that.

I'm very happy, although I didn't expect any problems with brakes from BMW...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danintas View Post
Could be that the wheels are out of balance - easy to check and fix at tyre dealer.
Thanks. May be, although very unlikely because when there are balance problems, you feel vibration when you drive, not when you brake. I've had the balance problem when I got into a pothole once.
The problem with both is that you typically notice it when you drive fast, like twice as faster as it is allowed in the city... As a result, you can't notice that in time.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
ykolin
Rep
Drives: 325i 2006 e90

did you check brakes?

it's not necessary the suspension issues. wheels, brakes/rotors could give same result.

however, if you had suspension problems before, then i would go check it out first thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
russo75
Singapore
Rep
Drives: E84, F10

Definitely the front brake rotors needs to be replaced. Sometimes rust can form on the brake disc and cause uneven surfaces. Therefore when you brake, your steering wheel shudders.

Most of the time rust is formed when the car is washed (wheels and all) and left there for at least 1 or 2 weeks.

If your brake rotors are still less than 30,000km, you can do machine skimming. Anything above 50,000km have to replace the brake rotors.

Hope it helps.
Appreciate 0