XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
ifocus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sport Package

Goodyear ROF bulge on sidewall

Yep, I had a tire developing a bulge on its sidewall, no obvious hard hit. It never happened to me in 30 years of driving. I wrote a letter to BMW, of course they told me to deal with Goodyear.

There is my answer to BMW Canada

"First, I would like to thank you for your response. Honestly, I did not expect anything different. However, I do think that BMW is making the wrong design choice by promoting these ROF tires; let me explain.

1. The tires are noisy, prone to problems as there are many well documented sidewall bulge issue; I sure hope BMW is aware of this. They are less durable than regular tires. The autonomy of maximum 80 km while deflated is less than stellar. My BMW dealer was proud to show me a tire kept from a client with the same issue as mine saying that he got home safely. I never saw tires having these issues in 30 years. I worked in the wheel manufacturing industry for many years! Really, you should not be advertise this!

2. Once you rode 80 km to the nearest dealer, it is likely that these tires will be out of stock, hence you are stock days before having one shipped. In my case, I was fortunate to be at home, I had to wait 2 days so the dealer get a hold of one; it was in Montreal, 900km from home!!! Living in a border city, I phone a Goodyear dealer in the US, they were back order, non stock item estimate delivery 2 weeks.

3. Once you puncture, they are not repairable easily. The tire has to be dismount by a certified ROF location, inspected and likely thrown away.

Punctures are extremely rare occurrence; there is no need to brain wash people and introduce a poor technology. The cost and issues related to these tires far out weight the benefits of running 80km on a flat; then what? I will put 4 awesome regular tires on my car at the once these are worn out, and they are not durable so it should not take very long. I am still hopeful that this feedback makes its way at BMW HQ. The ultimate driving machine do not deserve these tires.

Yours Truly"
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Good luck convincing BMW that run flats are a bad idea. It lets them save the money of equipping every car with a spare, a jack and a lug wrench. They're not going back, ever.

Goodyear makes awful tires, it doesn't matter if they're RFT's or regular tires. I've had regular Goodyears bubble sidewalls even with very small impacts.

Our 135i is on non RFT's and works much better than stock. When we buy our next BMW, I'll likely jettison the RFT's in the first month.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

I had 1 flat tire, and drove to work and back, somewhat 25km.
No problem to get to Canadian tire. They took a large metal piece out and plug it with rubber of almost 1.5" long, no leak so far.

I agree with you these ROF sucks, but honest to say, my wife were driving the car, and she have no clue and power to change a tire her entire life. I guess the ROF is good for getting you out.
However, if you have a side cut, this would change definitely!!

I guess we should run on rubber instead... that would solve the problem right?
Appreciate 0