XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-25-2015, 05:43 AM   #1
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

wheel alignment report

I bumped my car twice on the rear right wheel and jumped over the divider once on the same wheel so thought it was time I checked my wheel alignment. Also I wasn't happy with how my steering was esp. while taking wide left turns over 80 kmph (my X1 is RHD). steering seems to get stuck or sth. Wide right turns were fine though. But am still not happy after the alignment as steering seems bit off now - it seems that I have to steer tiny bit to the right to keep the car drive straight. It's so subtle that I myself am not sure if it's really the case or if it's just in my head Anyway here's the report I got from wheel alignment, this is my first time so need some expert suggestion. I'm thinking of taking it back tomorrow. Thanks..
Attached Images

jaeezzy...

Last edited by jaeezzy; 10-25-2015 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 07:09 AM   #2
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

image is unreadable
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 07:27 AM   #3
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
image is unreadable
thanks for letting me know.. I uploaded thru mobile app so didn't realise it uploaded the shrunk version of the pic

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

From the very little (almost next to none) knowledge on alignment, I'm bit concerned about the +ve & -ve camber in the front wheels and the 5+ degree difference in the caster angle..

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 02:31 AM   #5
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Yeah, castor dialed back in would make it track straighter.

And it's toeing out now which would add twichiness.

I have a s28i, and I'm not familiar with specs yet, but on a car with rear wheel drive, I'd probably get slight toe in or zero up front, and slight toe in in rear. Castors should be more equal.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:44 AM   #6
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
Yeah, castor dialed back in would make it track straighter.

And it's toeing out now which would add twichiness.

I have a s28i, and I'm not familiar with specs yet, but on a car with rear wheel drive, I'd probably get slight toe in or zero up front, and slight toe in in rear. Castors should be more equal.
Thanks 0w40X1 I took the car back and the mechanic told me that he actually can't change caster in X1 and the value showing could have been the fluctuation that the sensor might have picked up due to air or some other factor. After leaving the sensor to update correctly the value went back to normal. He just adjusted my steering angle to point straight.

Regarding the +ve values for toe, I thought the +ve was the toe-in and vice-versa.

What do you say about the front wheels with one side +ve & the other with -ve camber?

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #7
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Some cars are hard to adjust.

For my RX8, the rears were too much neg camber at -2 deg so we got both even down to -1.65, and the fronts to around -1 deg.

It also depends on how sticky your tire is.

I can look at most cars rear wheels and see more neg camber than front so novices don't spin out.

To get better cornering lowering the rear neg camber to like -1.5 and getting -1.5 in front makes car corner pretty good for street tire up to 1. G force.

My X1 with summer P7's doesn't eat up outside so mI guess alignment camber up front is ok. If I had o0n machine I'd mostly take some -camber out of back.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 03:56 AM   #8
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

I used to feel something odd sometimes making me feel quite unconfident while taking long left turns over 90 km/h. This was before I did the alignment. Now I realized that my front wheels have neg camber on the left and pos on the right. Would it have anything to do with how I felt? However, I don't feel it now or haven't noticed such a thing since the alignment was done. Toe was fixed in the front as it seems it was bit off as well. Besides, before the alignment, my rear wheels had negative toe and now are positive. Would these have helped or are these just too small differences to make a noticeable change on the ride?
Now my main concern is the front wheels having both neg and pos camber. Since I have sdrive, camber is not adjustable for the front wheels and the wheel alignment guys told me that the only way to fix this is to take it to smash repair. They also advised that it's negligible and showed me other BMWs with similar cambers (though bit less off than mine ) in the front. Is it something worth worrying about and fixing? Since the alignment I never felt right about the steering angle and feel either. It seems like, at times, it's happily steering to the left and feels like I'm steering to the left more. However, it does seem fine on straight line most of the time. The alignment guys were also quite irritated on my 4th visit and the manager took it for a ride. He drove for couple minutes and said the steering is fine. It was a short ride and the issue I think is so subtle that it wasn't enough ride to spot it. But the thing is I do feel that it's fine at times too . Am I going crazy?

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0