XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

The X1

Has anyone tried the x1 out yet or bought one? My wife was looking at crossovers like the Honda cr-v and stuff, but I came across the X1 and was wondering how it is. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
Has anyone tried the x1 out yet or bought one? My wife was looking at crossovers like the Honda cr-v and stuff, but I came across the X1 and was wondering how it is. Any thoughts?
Was this post moved from the general forum, or did you just not read any posts in this forum at all?

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
Was this post moved from the general forum, or did you just not read any posts in this forum at all?

yep it was moved from the e90 general, mind as well close it now. would have been better to recieve a message from the mod directing me to this forum. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Maybe if your question was a little more specific...yes the X1 is nice. If you like driving you'll like it more than the CR-V. If you like sizeable cargo space with your crossover you'll have to look elsewhere.
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43
The x1 makes the CRV feel like the latest model from the Flintstones.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

I strongly recommend reading through this thread:
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734861

It has lots of cross comparisons for the X1.

In my case I'm coming from a 2001 CR-V. I test drove the 2012 CR-V before looking at the X1. If you want a decent car that is likely to be bulletproof out past 100,000 miles the CR-V is a great choice. It is not exciting to drive though. Other than the technology improvements it did not perform any better than my old CR-V.

The X1 is much more fun to drive. If you want quick 0-60 times and good handling it is one of the top 2-3 in its class, if not at the very top. The level of interior noise is also much reduced over the CR-V and the other lower priced crossovers.

What you give up is interior space. There is less cargo capacity in the X1. If you need to haul stuff frequently you will want to look elsewhere. If like me you only have to carry big objects once or twice a year then the reduced cargo space is something you can live with. Also because of the drive tunnel note that the rear seat is not really good for 3 adults. You have to consider the car a 4 seater. Getting 5 adults in the CR-V is much easier.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
DarrenBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d xDrive SE

What a question. You do know X1's have been available elsewhere in the world for quite some time, right? So yes of course lots of people have driven them and there are lots of reviews out there. Here in the UK at least we are limited to diesels only however and have been available since 2009.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

interesting comparisons. I didn't realize how small the x1 is. I will have to see it in person. but people comparing it more to cars is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a vehicle that can carry passengers comfortably and be able to take trips to home depot for the random bag of mulch and stuff. I wanted a mid-size SUV, wife wants a compact. So i have to find something in the middle. My wife doesn't like the way my car drives, but she likes her 2010 jetta.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
interesting comparisons. I didn't realize how small the x1 is. I will have to see it in person. but people comparing it more to cars is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a vehicle that can carry passengers comfortably and be able to take trips to home depot for the random bag of mulch and stuff. I wanted a mid-size SUV, wife wants a compact. So i have to find something in the middle. My wife doesn't like the way my car drives, but she likes her 2010 jetta.
It will drive very much like your car and not much like a Jetta. The X1 is based on the E90 chassis, so it's going to drive just about the same as an xDrive E91 wagon, but a bit taller. If she wants a tall Jetta, the Tiguan is pretty nice, albeit slow and thirsty.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
DarrenBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d xDrive SE

Quote:

From the rear I would say they don't look that big (or wide). But there's definately a decent amount of length and height to the car. I would say there is enough rear boot(trunk) space for you. Rear leg room is okay, but definately worth you checking that out if you need to carry for adult passengers often.
If not, an X3 may better suit your needs but consider that they are only a little bit smaller than the first generation X5, ie, quite big.
My parents consider my X1 a big car and have stated they wouldn't like to own such a big car. Maybe it's only a mid-sized SUV but as a car many would consider it big.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
It will drive very much like your car and not much like a Jetta. The X1 is based on the E90 chassis, so it's going to drive just about the same as an xDrive E91 wagon, but a bit taller. If she wants a tall Jetta, the Tiguan is pretty nice, albeit slow and thirsty.
Yea she like the tiguan, but I didn't at all. It looks like a duck. My favorite so far is the gmc terrain. So we will see, we are going to go test drive the X1 and the gmc today.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Little thing holds more than I expected. We cleaned out our storage unit this weekend and it held a good bit of stuff:
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

that's a really good picture to post so people get the idea of what it can hold. We never got to test driving it because it took to long at the gmc dealer. Wife didn't like how big the terrain was like I thought. She's in love with the cr-v because it has the backup camera and all that standard. so i think we are going to go with that.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that's a really good picture to post so people get the idea of what it can hold. We never got to test driving it because it took to long at the gmc dealer. Wife didn't like how big the terrain was like I thought. She's in love with the cr-v because it has the backup camera and all that standard. so i think we are going to go with that.
Sounds good, you can't go wrong with either, although they're very different cars, and priced very differently too.

Funny note about the above picture, I'm 6'2" and even with all that crap loaded in there, I could still see perfectly out of the rear view mirror, very surprising.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I'll just chime in and say you don't want a Tiguan. We replaced ours with an X1. Too many problems with the Tig. Hit 40k miles on it and it decided to shit all over us.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Tiguan will give u a very harsh ride, higher seat feeling. Big lag on turbocharger, and the turbo is very annoying when working. But, compared to x1, Tiguan has a better driver door side button layout since it is wider in space and easier to reach them. Be frank, x1's window control buttons sucks as for how close they are to the door handle. The trunk space may be larger but not significantly. Also, u will find x1 doors plastic-like light and thin. Tiguan will give u a solid feeling on doors when u slam them.
Moreover, if u want a wild horse, Tiguan is a better fit ( though slower in fact than x1, x1 is too smooth)

Resell value could be tough on x1. That is sth u need to bear in mind. Order with some cool and cheap stuff like paddle shifter, chrome looks, etc. so that young buyers can shout out a stupid reason to buy it.

Last edited by heisalan; 09-24-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
wcinvest
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (awaiting delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisalan View Post
Tiguan will give u a very harsh ride, higher seat feeling. Big lag on turbocharger, and the turbo is very annoying when working. But, compared to x1, Tiguan has a better driver door side button layout since it is wider in space and easier to reach them. Be frank, x1's window control buttons sucks as for how close they are to the door handle. The trunk space may be larger but not significantly. Also, u will find x1 doors plastic-like light and thin. Tiguan will give u a solid feeling on doors when u slam them.
Moreover, if u want a wild horse, Tiguan is a better fit ( though slower in fact than x1, x1 is too smooth)

Resell value could be tough on x1. That is sth u need to bear in mind. Order with some cool and cheap stuff like paddle shifter, chrome looks, etc. so that young buyers can shout out a stupid reason to buy it.
Resale value on the X1 should actually be very good for a near luxury all around vehicle if buyers don't get tons of options besides a truly low cost one like paddle shifters.

Why? Unlike the E90 3 series, there won't be a ton of them for sale in the used car marketplace since its an all new model in the United States. In addition, the utility of the cargo area and the excellent fuel economy will help resale as well. And the good use of space will help the car sell to city dwellers. And frankly the demographic of the buyers of the X1 compared to the 1 series will help the resale as well. 1 series drivers are more likely to be buyers who abuse their cars and that hurts resale.

However, I do think someone that gets lots of options especially beyond just the ultimate package which at least gives you somewhat of a savings and lets say paddle shifters, will take somewhat of a bath on resale but this is kind of true on most BMWs.

But a stripped down sDrive with just paddle shifters lets say just bought for $29,700(sDrive) or $31,300(xDrive) plus tax after a $1000 incentive like the Team USA discount, I actually think may sell for $18,000 to 19,000 private party after 4 years and 60,000 miles.

The last two cars I actually bought have had tremendous real world residual values and I actually expect the X1 real world residual to be only moderately worse in percentage terms since I'm lightly optioning the car with just iDrive/Nav and not much else and doing European Delivery.

For buyers who spend 8-12k in options, they are not going to do that well in terms of resale if they own the car since a used car buyer is more concerned with the maintenance of leather seats, moonroof and power seats so they don't place much value on them after 4-5 years.

My advice when buying the car is figure any option you buy will only be worth 40-50% of its invoice price after about 4 years so only get the options you will really appreciate. But the base X1 is a great bang for the buck platform so I expect it to have good resale for those buyers who avoid the strong temptation to load it up with options including the metallic paint which is basically a complete loss on cars like this after a few years when it comes to resale value.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Is this thread about the X1, or marriage counseling?
Appreciate 0