Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-31-2024, 01:55 PM   #1
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Vibration Inside the Car - Steering Wheel and Seats

Car is a 2014 X1 35i with 72,000 miles.

Been having vibrations in the car for a bit, which felt like s tire out of balance. About 2 years ago I replaced the front brakes with Wagner OEX918 pads and BD180123E rotors. I had Vercelli Strada II tires mounted on the car the next day.

I had the tires rebalanced almost immediately and then again after 4-5000 miles because it felt like an out of balance tires. The road force balance didn't seem to improve the problem even though the numbers looked good.

Well, I just put Goodyear Assurance Max-Life tires on the car, and the car still shakes like it has a bad tire, albeit not as bad. I do feel like I can feel these tires more in the steering wheel and less in the front two seats than the last tires, but it's still there. MY girlfriend has the same tires on a Jeep and they are wonderful.

I also had the front brakes just resurfaced due to pulsating. My brother works at a shop so it was easy enough to do.

The car had an alignment last year and everything checked out okay. Sure they made adjustments but nothing was broken or worn etc.

I am going to go back to the installer and have them re balance the tires, but I'm beginning to wonder if there is something else I should be checking. I've seen rotors get far far out of spec and actually warped cause a vibration, but mine were just cleaned up. Is there anything I should be checking?

Anyone got any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 12:59 PM   #2
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

SharpAndCunning, does your car vibrate when you are stopped, either in drive or park? Also, is your car properly aligned right now?

If you are losing alignment after 4-5000 miles without a major collision/impact, I would suspect deteriorated control arms and/or bushings. These can induce a lot of play if they are busted. If your car vibrates when not moving, possible factors are motor mounts and low transmission fluid.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 02:12 PM   #3
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwmiller View Post
SharpAndCunning, does your car vibrate when you are stopped, either in drive or park? Also, is your car properly aligned right now?

If you are losing alignment after 4-5000 miles without a major collision/impact, I would suspect deteriorated control arms and/or bushings. These can induce a lot of play if they are busted. If your car vibrates when not moving, possible factors are motor mounts and low transmission fluid.
Definitely no vibrations when not moving. Under 40 you cant feel it, cruising, hard acceleration from 0-40/45 or slow acceleration no vibrations.

Around 45/50 it starts, and continues on the highway. It does seem to change a little bit on hills going up and down, but it really feel like a tire problem, but the likelihood of two sets of tires having vibration issues seems remote.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 02:12 PM   #4
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

I had the new tires rebalanced at a different place and they said a couple of them were out of balance, but the car still shakes.

It didn't do this before I replaced the last set of tires. I went from factory conti's to Vercelli Super Strada II, and I thought it was the tires, but the new Goodyears shake on the highway too.

Albeit, the Goodyears are better than the Vercelli, there is still a shake. I've jacked the car up multiple times and pulled, poked, use a bar to try and move the tire/wheel in all directions and I can't find anything out of place.

I suppose a wheel could be bad, but none of them are cracked and lose air.

I suppose I could ask the tire company to take the tires off, put the wheel on the machine and see if the wheel is damaged, but I'm otherwise out of ideas.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 06:30 PM   #5
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Anybody know the symptoms of a worn guibo, or bad drive shaft center bearing? Both of these would be speed dependant, and independant of gear.
Appreciate 0