Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Yes... I've had mine nearly three years and 37000 miles

I'm six foot and my wife is 5'10 and not surprisingly our five year old is quite tall ... We fit perfectly although the sport seats help

For the commute it is economical and pokey ( we have the 23d)

The car has done numerous long trips regularly to the west coast of Ireland from the uk and also into continental Europe where I get more than 40 mpg

Ours is mainly the second car as we also have a company car but is used for our camping trips and holidays. We have no issues with space or capacity .. But then I am looking at it from a European perspective.

Apart from a windscreen rubber seal being replaced it has been faultless.

It cruises at uk motorway speeds effortlessly .. And can suprise other drivers with its turn of speed.

On the country moorland roads where we live it handles like a hot hatch

As we live in the hills it has proved itself in the winter being unstoppable in the snow with winter tyres on it

All in all it's a cracking car .. Very underrated in my view

I would consider an x3 but I just don't need anything that big .. And the x1 fits perfectly

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #46
Carlin/14/E84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1 bmw

Wife's X1, she is crazy about it...which to have

ordered with Rear-Camera.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #47
FrozenInCND
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

I'm not sure I would ever buy another BMW, this is my first (2014 X1), and it is a very nice vehical. But there are a few things with the experience that really bugs me. Mostly to do with the options packages, and how the vehical is equipped. I bought a BMW because I want to be pampered, I want all the options, and I expect the best quality.

I can't believe a luxury vehical hasn't got a vanity light in the visor mirror, or XM radio isn't included in the base package. The so called heated seats and steering wheel could be left on all the time as they are barely noticeable. My up graded power seats with two memory setting hasn't got a lumbar adjustment, why would you have three trim levels of seats. I have the parking package but no back up camera? The rear seat armrest is carpeted, but in Europe it's has a nice console, and it's not available here at any price, Really!! Why??

Most of theses options are standard in North American, and Japanese autos at 1/2 the price.

I won't be buying a Japanese car, for the simple reason, I believe other country's build vehicals every bit as good, and workers in other country's need jobs to. But after my experience with BMW might be my last. May be MB next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #48
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

If you want to be coddled, Lexus or MB offer far more fluff than BMW. If you want sporty over luxury, BMW is usually a better fit.

I like that options are offered and not everything is standard. Lots of the stuff you mentioned, I'm glad I can leave off. You also bought the entry level car, so it's not going to have as much fluff as if you'd bought a mid or high level car.

A VW CC has a lot more content than an A3, even though they're the same parent company and roughly the same price. Same goes for comparing a highly optioned Countryman to a no frills X1. Personally, if you want more fluff, look at the F31 wagon or X3, the X1 is pretty basic, for better or worse.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #49
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

It's been only a couple of days, but I'd say YES! I bought a '13 with only 6k miles, so my choice of options was nil. Very glad I got one that's got the premium package, and no nav. Wish I had a power liftgate, though. I traded my '13 GTI, and it was cheaper to buy this BMW, than a '15 GTI with less options than I've got now. Tons of room, and good visibility, even though I'm tall and big..6-2/240
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #50
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInCND View Post
I'm not sure I would ever buy another BMW, this is my first (2014 X1), and it is a very nice vehical. But there are a few things with the experience that really bugs me. Mostly to do with the options packages, and how the vehical is equipped. I bought a BMW because I want to be pampered, I want all the options, and I expect the best quality.

I can't believe a luxury vehical hasn't got a vanity light in the visor mirror, or XM radio isn't included in the base package. The so called heated seats and steering wheel could be left on all the time as they are barely noticeable. My up graded power seats with two memory setting hasn't got a lumbar adjustment, why would you have three trim levels of seats. I have the parking package but no back up camera? The rear seat armrest is carpeted, but in Europe it's has a nice console, and it's not available here at any price, Really!! Why??

Most of theses options are standard in North American, and Japanese autos at 1/2 the price.

I won't be buying a Japanese car, for the simple reason, I believe other country's build vehicals every bit as good, and workers in other country's need jobs to. But after my experience with BMW might be my last. May be MB next time.
When I sit back and analyze the way you do here, it makes perfect sense to get another car besides BMW. And then I go out and start test driving the different cars and I end up with another BMW. The others just don't drive the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #51
FrozenInCND
Enlisted Member
Rep

Don't get me wrong it's a nice vehicle, I have only had it a couple months, and only had it on the highway for one short trip. It handles fine it's performance is ok I guess (not really fast but then again it's SUV). But It just doesn't put a smile on my face, and for the $50000 I think it should.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #52
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well for $50k I agree you should have a nicer vehicle. If I was going to spend $50k, surely I would have at least gotten an X3 or X4. My X1 was $33k.

You're always much better off with a more premium vehicle with fewer options than a cheaper car loaded. Not only will it hold its value better, but it will be a nicer car. I think my 2006 X5 was about $50k, and yes it was much nicer than my X1 is. If it had gotten better gas mileage I may still be driving it. But 14mpg just won't cut it for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #53
FrozenInCND
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
Well for $50k I agree you should have a nicer vehicle. If I was going to spend $50k, surely I would have at least gotten an X3 or X4. My X1 was $33k.

You're always much better off with a more premium vehicle with fewer options than a cheaper car loaded. Not only will it hold its value better, but it will be a nicer car. I think my 2006 X5 was about $50k, and yes it was much nicer than my X1 is. If it had gotten better gas mileage I may still be driving it. But 14mpg just won't cut it for me.
Ya well you wont get them for that price in Canada, mine was $4000 under dealers invoice, because it was 2014 stock, and a demo.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #54
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:

Yeah if I had spent 50k it sure wouldn't have been on an x1. The whole point of buying the car was it was cheap. Especially with the 4 year free maintenance. If you want to spend 50k, x3, 328 wagon or Audi all road would be much better choices.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #55
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

My x1 had a MSRP of 49k. I liked it because it was loaded and small. x3+ is too large to easily get in and out of my garage, more difficult to street park for errands etc. I like small, premium vehicles.

Mine is a lease so not concerned about a depreciation hit. Will probably get a 2016 x1 when this one is up.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #56
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInCND View Post
Ya well you wont get them for that price in Canada, mine was $4000 under dealers invoice, because it was 2014 stock, and a demo.
Yeah, I forgot you are in Canada. I guess the prices are all different on different cars up there, so I couldn't really tell you what I would do.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #57
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
My x1 had a MSRP of 49k. I liked it because it was loaded and small. x3+ is too large to easily get in and out of my garage, more difficult to street park for errands etc. I like small, premium vehicles.

Mine is a lease so not concerned about a depreciation hit. Will probably get a 2016 x1 when this one is up.
If my budget had been over 40k, I would have ended up with a Range Rover Evoque. Yes the X1 drove a tiny bit better (although not that big of a difference really), but the Evoque just had a much nicer interior with much nicer materials. It felt like a really expensive luxury car, where as the X1 has the looks of an expensive car, but when you get up close, the interior is a bit cheap.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #58
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If my budget had been over 40k, I would have ended up with a Range Rover Evoque. Yes the X1 drove a tiny bit better (although not that big of a difference really), but the Evoque just had a much nicer interior with much nicer materials. It felt like a really expensive luxury car, where as the X1 has the looks of an expensive car, but when you get up close, the interior is a bit cheap.
I like the Evoque but for the price, having a Ford ecoboom engine = no thanks. Its also much slower than the x135. I guess I prefer a strong power train over some interior finishes.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #59
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post

You leased so price isn't the most important thing, monthly payment is.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #60
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
You leased so price isn't the most important thing, monthly payment is.
Nope but one does impact the other
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #61
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

You're comparing X1's to SUVs. The X1 is just a tall 3 series wagon, for a lot less $$ than their own "regular" wagons; Think Suburu Outback.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #62
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
You're comparing X1's to SUVs. The X1 is just a tall 3 series wagon, for a lot less $$ than their own "regular" wagons; Think Suburu Outback.
That's what a crossover is, just a tall wagon. And it's much smaller than a 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #63
salzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Yes, it's smaller (cargo) than the current 3 series wagon. But the car is built on the same platform as the prior 3 series. It's the cargo area that suffers by this design... not anything else. If you look at the specs, the wheelbase, etc, is identical to the prior 3 series.

The "tall" feature is why I bought it. My aging back doesn't like sitting "on the floor" with my legs straight out. The few inches we have in the X1 gives me enough height to keep the back happy... yet it's smaller than a X3 - a good thing for my purposes.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #64
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Back seat room is also a lot smaller than a 3 series. With my seat in a comfortable position in my X1, I could not sit behind myself. In a 3 series that is no issue at all.

And yes, me too on the back issue. That's the main reason I got an X1 instead of a regular sedan or coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #65
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Probably important to state which 3er you're talking about when discussing rear seat room. Since the X1 is based on the E91 and has the same wheelbase, it's nearly identical in rear leg room to my buddy's E91. It is however less spacious than the F31, but most noticeably in width, not length.

I also find it interesting how some people find the back seat cramped. I'm 6'2" and can sit behind myself, it's not somewhere I'd want to be for six plus hours, but behind my 5'3" wife, it might as well be an S Class.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #66
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Back seat room is also a lot smaller than a 3 series. With my seat in a comfortable position in my X1, I could not sit behind myself. In a 3 series that is no issue at all.

And yes, me too on the back issue. That's the main reason I got an X1 instead of a regular sedan or coupe.
It is about the same as E90/E91, but smaller than F30, which has a longer wheelbase and also wider.

One advantage though is adjustable rear seat back, which gives additional cargo room in a pinch even when you need to carry 4 people.

Overall it is comfortable for 4 average size adults.
Appreciate 0