XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
milkdi
Rep
Drives: Not yet

Trunk Space

Hi all,

I am new to here and considering to get a X1 soon.

In a year or two, my family is going to have 3 adults and 1 or 2 kids. I'm worried about the amount of cargo space available, with the back seats up. From the catalog it seems the space is 420L which is smaller than the 3 series' 480L and 5 series' 520L.

Is that enough to put in, say, 2 big suitcases? I am not sure if I can put the suitcases upright to better utilize the vertical room.

I am currently driving an Accord, so would like to probably compare with that.

Thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
ykolin
Rep
Drives: 325i 2006 e90

are you going to adopt adults? lol
just joking

well, last time i was playing with this car the trunk looked cramped to me, unless u fold down rear seats. what you can do thou put cases on the top of each other, and they will fit just fine.
however, in comparison with accord trunk X1's lack significantly.
i would suggest to look in X3 just for comparison between x1 and x3.

you are mentioning about your family, 3 adults, and 2 kids. well, my wife and i sat in front just fine. then i decided to sit behind and see if there is enough space for me ( i'm 5.11 and 190lb) it was too tight for me. i just imagined that if i put a baby sit for my 4 year old, and boom, not much space left for second adult

i have e90 and comparing to x1 size wise they are very similar except height and trunk space that i love in X1.

last thing to mention, that i have honda civic 04, and the size of it reminds me e90, maybe even roomier

unless, you would like to transport 2 adults at the time lol D
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkdi View Post
Hi all,
Is that enough to put in, say, 2 big suitcases? I am not sure if I can put the suitcases upright to better utilize the vertical room.
Welcome.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "big" suitcase? You can remove the cargo cover to get some more space, and a couple of suitcases should easily fit fine in there. As to where you're gonna put the strollers and all the other stuff, there's always the roof...

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I borrowed a friend's E91 3er wagon last week and it's certainly got more room behind the seats than the X1. The X1 has more height, but that doesn't really do much good when loading most things. Since you're in a part of the world that can still get the 5er wagon (we can't in the US), that would clearly be much roomier than either.

One last note, like most BMW's, the fifth seat, center rear, is not a comfortable place to be in the X1, and if you had two kids seats mounted, it would be extremely unlikely that an adult would fit in that spot anyway. This is also true of the 3er wagon, but the F11 has much more room than either for the fifth passenger.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

If you will need to transport 3 adults plus 2 kids and the kids need car seats then the X1 is not the right car for you. It is really a four place vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
TX65
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 S

My X1 is on its way but i did a lot of looking at units at the dealer including sitting in all seating positions.

I am 5'11" at 225 lbs and the back seat would be fine for 2 adults for a short drive ( in town going to dinner) but I would not want to sit back there for 3-4 hours. Two young kids would be fine in the back.

While it has cargo space in the back with the seats up, I would say maybe only enough for a couple of carry on sized bags. More than that, you would want to fold down the back seat.

Having looked at the Mini Countryman too, the x1 is a step up,,, but a only small step up. A Chevy Tahoe or Suburban it is not.