Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-20-2023, 09:06 AM   #1
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 35i - Z3 DASC

Hey everyone!

I thought it would be fun to document the build and story to my 2014 X1!

My name is Seth, I’m a long time BMW enthusiast since my first BMW in 2009, a 1996 supercharged Z3 which was also my first car and I still own! See attached pics!

Back story, we have had an e84 N55 X1 in the family for several years, my brother owned a Valencia Orange X1 with all the bells and whistles minus the sports package. I myself owned a Crimson Red e92 328i for 8 years with copious amounts of work done to make it the “ultimate n/a daily BMW” since BMW no longer produced any naturally aspirated engines. (See pics below).

In late November, my brother and I, who work together at a clinic, were headed home in caravan style. He in his X1 pulled out to merge onto a highway then realized cars were running red lights and stood on his brakes. Me behind him was watching traffic rather than him and plowed right into him. It was a low speed accident but both cars were totaled. See pics below! The cops and insurance companies found this quite hilarious.
Attached Images

Last edited by fnp93; 07-20-2023 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 09:14 AM   #2
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Fast forward to December, I loved my brother’s X1 so much I decided to purchase an e84 N55 X1 as well. I found my X1 on Carvana, of all places, and surprisingly had a fantastic experience once I understood the process. My car is a 2014 N55 X1 in Mineral Grey with Coral Red interior. It came with M sport line trim, 19inch Style 225 “m” wheels, sport seats, and HK stereo. Unfortunately no heated seats, which felt like a sacrifice at the time! LOL Pics below of when I received the car, which was bone stock save from a red start button.

What I found comical after ordering is I found my car’s previous owner giving a tour of his car on YouTube. I made contact with him, and he stated he owned the car in California and sold his X1 to Carvana to move to an M3!

Also if you’re wondering what my brother got, he ended up in an Estoril blue F30 Msport! We traded places essentially 🤣
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-20-2023, 09:26 AM   #3
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

I’ll keep a list of running mods at the bottom of each thread, but this is also a story of how the car build came along. So let’s continue!

First, after I received my car, in less than a week I had to make a very rapid and unfortunate 5 hour trip in it from Georgia to upstate South Carolina to see my grandmother who was very rapidly declining. I immediately left work and picked my Dad up who rode with me, while my mother and brothers left just an hour or so prior in another vehicle. Much like the story of Jeremy Clarkson driving his Porsche when his father passed, the same rang true for my new X1. It acted as a very quick, faithful steed. I made it just in time, 30 minutes before she passed. I’m sure without the grace of God guiding as the X1 thundered down the interstate and backroads to the hospital in SC, I wouldn’t have made it to be with her one last time.

However, fast forward the trip back made me quite nervous as the car was bone stock with 52k miles on the clock and I had read horror stories of the stock charge pipe cracking! So my first mod was definitely to be a charge pipe by VRSF.

Mods:
VRSF charge pipe
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 09:30 AM   #4
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Next mods were to increase my rear view safety! Shockingly my car came with the good old schooled manual dimming rear view mirror, I had became spoiled with the auto dimming in my last car. So I found a used mirror from a 2015 X1 on eBay and much to my surprise, my X1 was pre wired so install literally took less than 5 minutes and was plug and play! Also took the X1 on her first snow journey around this time!

Mods:
VRSF charge pipe
OEM auto dimming rear view mirror
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 09:39 AM   #5
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

After my last cars literal perfect exhaust setup I found myself wanting more sound from my X1. I thought I would start up front with an intake for more induction noise and turbo sounds. I decided on the BMS intake after much deliberation, review reading, and YouTube video. It was extremely easy to install and at a year later still does not disappoint. Induction noise increase was notable, really only under heavier throttle. More turbo noises which I’ve heard described as “dentist drill” are present, but again only when under heavier loads or boost!

Sound here!
https://youtube.com/shorts/pPmzBf17oOg?feature=share

Mods:
VRSF charge pipe
BMS Intake
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 09:46 AM   #6
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Very soon afterward, I decided a back up cam was a necessity. My car didn’t come with I drive and I didn’t want a Headunit that looked like it came from fast and furious. Again after much review reading and YouTubing I found an android unit and back up cam to fit the bill. Both ordered off Amazon! Mine came from a manufacturer called “pemp” and I had an OE replacement cam that fit in the rear deck lid that require zero drilling!

I did this mod while I was sick with Covid (my 3rd round with Covid) on isolation. Without exaggeration, it took me approximately 8 hours to complete start to finish with minimal breaks. It isn’t very hard skill wise but it is very time consuming to carefully remove panels, tuck wires and do it right. I HIGHLY recommend watching lots of YouTube videos before installing.

Once in, the unit has CarPlay and works amazing and is much bigger than the OEM Idrive screen would be.

Mods:
VRSF charge pipe
BMS Intake
Android Screen
Back up cam
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 09:49 AM   #7
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Next tinting was in order as Carvana decided to remove all the already installed tint. So it was a fishbowl!!

To keep things legal for my state, I went with 20% all the way around with the exception of the front 2 windows which are 35%. One of the best bang for buck visual mods for sure!

Also at the same time I installed BMS spacers 15mm front and 18mm rear for a more aggressive stance. There is absolutely no rub and just a slight bit of poke with the style 225’s

Mods:
VRSF charge pipe
BMS Intake
Android Screen
Back up cam
Tint
BMS spacers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 10:00 AM   #8
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Next on the list, some performance and sound! Exhaust sounds and setups are VERY hard to find for this car. Especially since very few parts fit and the muffler and resonator are slightly different from e9x and f chassis cars.

I decided to start with a VRSF catted downpipe.

Did not even begin to attempt this one as this car is Xdrive.

My exhaust guy I’ve used for years quoted me $250 for install, I couldn’t write the check fast enough haha. The install took him nearly 5-6 hours with a lift and proper tools.

Highly, highly recommend having an installer complete this one

Exhaust sound without tune here

https://youtu.be/tUiic8cBKaA

Mods:
VRSF charge pipe
BMS Intake
Android Screen
Back up cam
Tint
BMS Spacers
VRSF catted downpipe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 10:06 AM   #9
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

I rolled the dice if the catted downpipe would throw a code, and it did, which I expected. Which gave me the perfect excuse to get a tune! After much research the MHD tune fit the bill. It fixes the code, and I went straight to stage 1. Go ahead and buy the super license as you will end up using all the features! The initial flash took approximately 15 minutes. Again, lots of YouTube info here, do your research. Something you do NEED is the correct MHD WiFi dongle and a battery charger. For the initial flash, do NOT risk it, hook up a battery charger. Do NOT chance bricking your car.

Also as a nod to the power a sticker was in order…

Exhaust with tune - burbles on and set to medium at 1.3 duration

https://youtu.be/q-pNHd9-Rmo

Mods:
VRSF charge pipe
BMS Intake
Android Screen
Back up cam
Tint
BMS Spacers
VRSF catted downpipe
MHD stage 1 tune
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 10:24 AM   #10
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Next is all cosmetic!

I deleted the rear X1 badge for a cleaner look, and swapped out the front grill for a gloss black one.

Also I found some really nifty rear window diffusers (don’t laugh) from Ali express which were $12 and look OEM. Also found my grills there as well. Again have been on a year and in the sun daily, solid as a rock with no fading.

Carvanna took some time processing a claim I gave them. I am a stickler for details so I went over the car with a fine tooth comb and had multiple flaws repaired and while we were in there had some custom things done!

First shaved the front license plate and filled the holes

Changed oem side M badges for oem black M badges

I went with gloss black xdrive 35i badges to have the full delete of chrome

Front bumper stripped and resprayed

Hood completely stripped and resprayed

New OEM angel eye projectors as the old were hazed (these alone were $3k just for the parts. I cannot believe carvanna covered them)

Several blemishes on the drivers side of the vehicle

Stripped and painted rear bumper and painted the rear diffuser gloss black

New OE rear seat belt (it appears a owner’s dog may have chewed it? No leather damage however)

Also new clips for radio to hold it flush as they had broken!

Out of pocket I only had to cover the shaving of the front license plate, new black badges, and gloss black diffuser paint.

All together this was in the shop a little over a month. So I spent some time driving and tinkering in my Z3!

This REALLY tied the car up and made her prettier!

Mods:
VRSF charge pipe
Rear View Mirror
Android Screen
Back up Cam
BMS Intake
BMS Spacers
Tinted Windows
VRSF Catted Downpipe
MHD Super License
MHD Adapter
BMW Black M Logos
Black Grills
X Drive 35i Black Logo
Rear Window Wing
Rear diffuser gloss black & front plate delete
Attached Images

Last edited by fnp93; 07-20-2023 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 10:33 AM   #11
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Last but not least, I needed a little more exhaust noise, but could not find a good back box for the life of me. After heavy research and taking a chance I found a dinan exhaust for the 135i that attaches after the axle (VERY important). I found my dinan 135i exhaust from someone parting out his built 135i on Facebook marketplace for a very good price. He also had a BMS catch can for sale from his 135i I purchased.

The catch can fit like a glove and installed in under 30 minutes.

I had my exhaust guy slip on my exhaust, he finished in under an hour. He said the fit was perfect for the exhaust hangers but he had to adjust them mildly as the tips are huge compared to stock. But I’ve had no rubbing and no rattling. It really sounds great.

The BEST burble tune, in my opinion, for this set up, is medium with 0.8 duration and it only triggers at 2600 rpm when coming off of hard throttle. During normal driving in Drive mode, it sounds very tame, near OEM. Also I get NO burbles in normal drive mode.

Interior
https://youtu.be/4tz9OdmiPRY

https://youtu.be/4Cm6C05ULlI

Drive by in parking garage

https://youtube.com/shorts/GREqkfLRTao?feature=share

Exterior
https://youtu.be/0v6v0rtFgOY

Mods:
VRSF charge pipe
Rear View Mirror
Android Screen
Back up Cam
BMS Intake
BMS Spacers
Tinted Windows
VRSF Catted Downpipe
MHD Super License
MHD Adapter
BMW Black M Logos
Black Grills
X Drive 35i Black Logo
Rear Window Wing
Dinan Muffler
BMS Catch Can
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 10:35 AM   #12
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

So what’s next? I’m considering a resonator delete and also a VRSF 5 inch stepped intercooler but have yet to pull the trigger. Will report back as mods continue!

Please ask questions, and give feedback!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 02:12 AM   #13
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 and E84 X1 Xdrive35i

Good job dude!!! Can you provide a little more info on the Infotainment Screen? Exact link where you bought it? How does it integrate into everything? DO you still keep all the oem functions?

This forum has been so dead..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 10:05 AM   #14
sudermatt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35M

I would go with 245 35s in front and 275 30s in back. it will fill the wheel wells a little more.
Attached Images

08-04-2023, 05:35 PM   #15
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple5 View Post
I Good job dude!!! Can you provide a little more info on the Infotainment Screen? Exact link where you bought it? How does it integrate into everything? DO you still keep all the oem functions?
This forum has been so dead..
Thanks man!
It still retains all oem functions, adds car play as well as gps separate from CarPlay, a nice backup feature if your phone should die. Only nuisance is that occasionally it won’t auto connect so I’ll have to select it in my phone or on the screen. I use it every day! Back up cam is an excellent feature, if you’re getting the infotainment it’s worth adding the cam. Link for the infotainment and the back up cam I used. If you already have I drive you can just get the infotainment system for a bigger screen and CarPlay.

PEMP Android 10 IPS Touch 10.25 inch Screen, Qualcomm 8-core 4G+64GB CarPlay Android auto, for BMW X1 E84 (2009-2015) https://a.co/d/11Vhg62

HD 1280x720p Rear Reversing... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P3NV68D...p_mob_ap_share

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudermatt View Post
I would go with 245 35s in front and 275 30s in back. it will fill the wheel wells a little more.
I like the poke on yours! I have 255/35/19 rear and 225/40/19 front. I also considered 20mm spacers in the rear. I forget rub is not as much an issue when your car is taller 😅
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 08:32 PM   #16
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

⚠️ Warning⚠️
Burbles and pops may cause childlike giggles…

https://youtu.be/n0Ebl69tvWY
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 02:22 PM   #17
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Next in line was to improve cooling. After much research, I found there is little to no fitment information. I was looking to continue running a stage 1 tune so a 5 inch stepped intercooler should be plenty adequate. I ended up springing for a Wagner Performance intercooler. It was a roll of the dice because no one, including Wagner themselves could confirm fitment. I purchased part number 200001023.

The build quality was excellent, the install was easy, and I’m very happy to report the fit was perfect. No silicon hoses to mess with and uses factory connections. If interested I could do a write up on the install.

Note the last picture was the debris that fell on me continuously after dropping the under tray.

Mods:
VRSF charge pipe
Rear View Mirror
Android Screen
Back up Cam
BMS Intake
BMS Spacers
Tinted Windows
VRSF Catted Downpipe
MHD Super License
MHD Adapter
BMW Black M Logos
Black Grills
X Drive 35i Black Logo
Rear Window Wing
Dinan Muffler
BMS Catch Can
Wagner Performance Intercooler
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 12:01 AM   #18
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

I ran some data logs to confirm IAT was stable and that there was no boost loss.

This log was the 3rd consecutive multiple gear pull without letting the intercooler cool down. Ambient temp was 85 degrees farenheight and very humid.

IAT’s seem good, but the boost is a little “too good”… 🤨

I’m only running stage 1 and had a boost peak of 18.7 in this run. Much higher than my target boost as seen in the picture below. In another run that I didn’t log, I saw a peak at 20.9 psi. Yikes!!

After inspection, I have a humming noise coming from my boost solenoid after revving at standstill when boost is built. Also, in the log we can see the wastegate randomly close causing a temporary spike in boost. This happened in other logs as well. So a new boost solenoid is on order and should arrive Monday! We’ll see if this solves our “boost creep” issue! All of this happened without CEL’s. The moral of the story is run data logs folks!

*Note* the IAT listed in this log is at the end of a multi gear run, a 3rd consecutive pull without cool down, at 85 degree ambient temp on a very humid day, and running boost of nearly 19psi to boot. Good job Wagner!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 07:26 PM   #19
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Nice, that's the same intercooler I run!

That boost spike is because you had a throttle closure. Try logging load request and load actual. Boost is just a tool to help you hit load target. 100% load is the maximum airflow you can get into the engine without boost. If load actual goes above load target, the DME will close the throttle plate to keep load in check. When the throttle plate closes the boost spikes because the air has no where to go (boost is measured upstream of the throttle plate). I bet your load actual exceeded load target, causing that throttle closure.

I suspect it's not a problem with your boost solenoid. I've seen multiple people report this on the stage 1 tune. Unless you can feel it while you're driving, it's probably not a big concern. The stock tune throttle closes all the time and people don't know until they start logging and see it in the logs.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 07:41 PM   #20
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Oh yeah, make sure you're logging timing corrections for each cylinder too! That's the most important thing foe safety of your engine. Also stft and ltft are very useful for troubleshooting all kinds of issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 07:54 AM   #21
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post

That boost spike is because you had a throttle closure. Try logging load request and load actual. Boost is just a tool to help you hit load target. 100% load is the maximum airflow you can get into the engine without boost. If load actual goes above load target, the DME will close the throttle plate to keep load in check. When the throttle plate closes the boost spikes because the air has no where to go (boost is measured upstream of the throttle plate). I bet your load actual exceeded load target, causing that throttle closure.

I suspect it's not a problem with your boost solenoid. I've seen multiple people report this on the stage 1 tune. Unless you can feel it while you're driving, it's probably not a big concern. The stock tune throttle closes all the time and people don't know until they start logging and see it in the logs.
Quote:
Oh yeah, make sure you're logging timing corrections for each cylinder too! That's the most important thing foe safety of your engine. Also stft and ltft are very useful for troubleshooting all kinds of issues.
After some more intense reading, I wondered if this could be throttle closure as well. I was having the “hum” at idle after a rev or building boost. I went ahead and replace the solenoid and the hum is gone.

I made a partial pull and log a couple days ago (not enough room for a full log). I’ll get out and add the parameters like you said!

Would we consider it normal WDGC occilate slightly when attempting to reach target boost?

Also for MHD stage 1 the peak target boost is 16psi no?

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 11:18 AM   #22
fnp93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Side note is there a updated tune that is “smoother”. I have noticed throttle occilations under light throttle, which is common from what I understand.
Appreciate 0