Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #1
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Best UHP All-Season Options

OK, short notice, since I'm going to try and buy tomorrow...

I just swapped out from my winter tires and saw that I need to replace my OEM Goodyear Eagle run-flats.

I've decided to make the jump to non run-flats in part because I track the car occasionally and have a much better selection in standard tires.

As noted above I use winter tires, so I'm not concerned about winter/snow performance. What are peoples recommendations if I'm looking for the best combination of performance and wear?

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is where I initially lean, but I'm curious to hear other recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are great tires. A little pricey though.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are great tires. A little pricey though.
Yea, but they don't seem to really be any more than most of the other UHP options. Plus, while I may be cheap, I don't have a problem spending for quality
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

If you track the car, and run separate winter tires, why on earth are you looking at all-seasons?

Buy summer tires. Better in the dry, better in the wet. And certainly better at the track.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
If you track the car, and run separate winter tires, why on earth are you looking at all-seasons?

Buy summer tires. Better in the dry, better in the wet. And certainly better at the track.
Colorado weather and the fact the I only track the car a couple of times a year.

I did think about summer tires, but the problem is that here in Colorado we can frequently have cold/snow through April and sometimes even into May. Summer tires are flat out dangerous in those conditions.

Bottom line is I tracked the car running the crappy Goodyear Eagle run-flats that the car came with. So any of the A/S UHP options will be better than those.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Other key factors... I track it for fun, not competition and it's my daily driver so that usage far outweighs the on-track performance!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #7
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

I bought the Michelins for those reasons exactly. They are very close to summer tires in performance but last and are usable in snow in a pinch.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #8
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

The Michelins are what I'm going with. They had to get them from the warehouse so they will be installed on Monday.

I'm going a little wider on these from the stock 225/50/17 to 245/45/17.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

When I needed a tire repaired, I was concerned that I might need to buy tires then. Now that I have it patched OK, I have time to figure out what I want, but I'm not sure what to do. Runflat or not? Summer or all-seasons? Why can't they make this easier? ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

High Performance All Season seems like an oxymoron.

While our X1 is a family mobile, I am ok with All Seasons for day to day driving. I did autoX with all season tires in my younger days and have learned my lesson. It's frustrating knowing that the biggest improvement (apart from skills) are tires.

Hope I don't see you on Youtube being lapped by Kia Fortes or <gulp> F48 X1s on summers! Gotta represent brah!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #11
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
High Performance All Season seems like an oxymoron.
I had Bridgestone 970as on my previous car -- seemed pretty sticky, and was great in the rain. I didn't auto-x tho.

Quote:

While our X1 is a family mobile, I am ok with All Seasons for day to day driving. I did autoX with all season tires in my younger days and have learned my lesson. It's frustrating knowing that the biggest improvement (apart from skills) are tires.

Hope I don't see you on Youtube being lapped by Kia Fortes or <gulp> F48 X1s on summers! Gotta represent brah!
I guess most of my driving is "day to day" but I do like having the added handling and traction for the few times I can make use of it. :-) Not to mention the occasional need for emergency lane-changing or panic-stopping!

Unless I'm reading it wrong, Tirerack lists these P7s for $180 -- would be a bit more locally. But they're listed as a "Grand Touring" tire. Probably a UHD all-season would be an upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
Summer or all-seasons?
Well if I was in Florida I definitely would have done a summer tire. I seriously thought about it even here in Colorado, but ultimately didn't like the thought of having days driving in ice or snow with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #13
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Well if I was in Florida I definitely would have done a summer tire. I seriously thought about it even here in Colorado, but ultimately didn't like the thought of having days driving in ice or snow with them.
I vaguely recall that the 970as didn't rate all that great for the snow. At the time, I lived further North where I might see snow very rarely. But I think the advantages of a tire like that over a pure summer tire would be maybe less expensive, longer lasting, and still might give one enough performance to have fun. It's not such a bad compromise.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #14
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

Soooo.... How did those Michelins turn out?

We have been wondering about if it would be less bumpy. Yeah, I know runflats are bumpy due to stiff sidewalls, but so are UHP summer tires. What about high-perf all seasons?

What I'd like is more comfort while still having great traction and rain handling.

The stock P7s are listed as Grand Touring, so even an all-season tire should be better. I've actually been pretty happy with the grip of the P7s. Shouldn't need summer tires.

Mind you, I have the m-sport suspension, so that has to affect things.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #15
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Definitely an improvement in the ride. Quite a bit less bumpy. I'd say 17" non-run flats are probably as good as you will get in ride quality for this car.

I go to the track Saturday, so I'll get a better feel for the performance factor the. But given that it is going to be in the 30-40's with some light snow I'm really glad I went the all-season route!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #16
dpinvictor
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 Sport Line

Tire Upgrade

Quote:
OK, short notice, since I'm going to try and buy tomorrow...

I just swapped out from my winter tires and saw that I need to replace my OEM Goodyear Eagle run-flats.

I've decided to make the jump to non run-flats in part because I track the car occasionally and have a much better selection in standard tires.

As noted above I use winter tires, so I'm not concerned about winter/snow performance. What are peoples recommendations if I'm looking for the best combination of performance and wear?

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is where I initially lean, but I'm curious to hear other recommendations.
When my factory Michelin run-flats needed replacement, I went with a conventional tire; did not like the harsh, noisy ride of the run flat cement tires.

Took a chance on a non-run flat and went with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. Couldn't be happier! These tires are amazingly quiet and the ride is great. At the same time, these tires sick to the road like glue.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r=Sport%20Line

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...06_pdpcrop.jpg
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #17
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Yeah the DWS are great tires. Had them a few years ago. They impressed me much even with light dusting. A bit fast wearing.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:58 PM   #18
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Colorado weather and the fact the I only track the car a couple of times a year.

I did think about summer tires, but the problem is that here in Colorado we can frequently have cold/snow through April and sometimes even into May. Summer tires are flat out dangerous in those conditions.

Bottom line is I tracked the car running the crappy Goodyear Eagle run-flats that the car came with. So any of the A/S UHP options will be better than those.
I was thinking the same as Premature Apex: you should get best summer if you run dedicated winters.
Anyway since you are dealing with this kind of weather...
I am running Continental All Weather DWS, half summer pattern, half winter pattern and sold my OEM wheels with RFT since first month. I do not own winter wheels, I am running M wheels with all weather all around. No problems and no dirt and damage from wheel change. I did it mostly because I do not want to deal with technicians, wheels in the trunk and fingerprints all over. The less I see the dealership (or any tech shop), the happier I am.
I am on my second pair of Continental Extreme Contact and love them.
Maybe you should buy these for daily driving all around and have some dedicated for track days?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #19
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Two things I'll consider if I get a little more serious about taking the car on the track regularly would be dedicated tires and brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #20
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

I should also mention that I have been completely happy with these tires. Ride wise it is an entirely new car without having the harshness of the run flats.

Performance wise, I didn't really get to push them on my track day as it was right around freezing with a light snow and wet track. However, I've gone on some of my more fun driving routes and have really like the added grip. Way better than the Eagles.

I've also noticed that by going to a slightly wider tire the car is more stable at high speeds. The car used to be slightly jittery on the highway, but feels rock solid now. I thought the added width might negatively impact turning slightly, but really have not noticed anything here.

As for the Summer vs All-Season debate, having a late snow storm this year (May 18th) just re-enforced my decision to go the A/S route.

Overall I would absolutely buy these again.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #21
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

All Season handles soft snow, All Weather are made for snow; very different tires.
For me, WDS are perfect.
Appreciate 0