Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Le Mans Blue M Sport

I picked her up Saturday. As reported previously, it didn't have the "standard" paddle shifters. I'm still waiting for resolution from BMW since the dealer refused to do squat. So far I have to say I'm not impressed by how it's been handled. To my surprise, the window sticker shows fuel economy ratings at 22/33, which conflicts with what I've read previously about the xDrive models. The configuration is as follows:

Heated front seats
Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
Driver Assistance Package

Park Distance Control
Rear-view camera

Lighting Package

Automatic high beams
Adaptive light control
Xenon headlights
Ambiance lighting

M Sport Line

M steering wheel
M Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters (nope)
High-gloss Roof Rails
Performance Control
Increased top speed limiter
Sport suspension
Aerodynamic kit
Anthracite headliner
Sport seats
Shadowline exterior trim

Ultimate Package

Technology Package
Driver Assistance Package
Premium Package

Premium Package

Universal garage-door opener
Interior mirror with compass
Power front seats with driver seat memory
Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
Comfort Access keyless entry
Panoramic moonroof
Lumbar support

Technology Package

Navigation system
Voice-command
BMW Assist with Bluetooth

I'm no photographer, but I snapped a few pics after a quick washing yesterday. The pictures do not do the color justice. The Le Mans Blue is gorgeous, and it really pops in direct sunlight. Picking a color was difficult, but I think I made the right decision. I'm also very happy with the dark crosshatch aluminum trim. I wasn't crazy about the wheels from the pictures I saw, but while they will be a challenge to keep clean, they look really good in person. I had 3M film installed on the front bumper and behind the rear wheels. I also had all the window rear of the B pillar tinted (35%). Oh, and golfers rejoice ... regardless of what you may have heard, a set of clubs does fit sideways in the rear of the cargo area.

Road trip 9/17/12: I drove to the Chicago area today and logged nearly 400 miles behind the wheel. The ride is Euro firm - a little more so than our Q5, but it wasn't unbearable. The ride on asphalt was very comfortable, even when the road was less than perfect. The car did pitch over expansion joints, so a long trip on a concrete highway might drive me insane. Hopefully the runflats are a contributing factor and switching to conventional tires down the road will improve things.

Cabin noise was minimal with very little tire roar. There is a little wind noise around the driver's side mirror, but again, nothing terrible. The M Sport's seats are very comfortable. Larger bodies might feel pinched by the aggressive bolsters, but I found the seat to be supportive and all-day comfortable. I didn't calculate the fuel economy, but the car's computer shows I averaged 27.3 mpg. I did some in-town driving and most of the highway time was between 75 and 80 mph, so that's not too bad. The car was in Eco Pro mode for most of the trip, and I allowed the Auto Start to function normally. Hopefully it will improve as the engine loosens up.

The biggest surprise by far to come out of this road trip is confirmation that the speedometer reads 4 to 5 mph too high! No exaggeration. Driving home from the dealership Saturday, my wife road my ass for about 10 miles before blowing by me impatiently. At home I endured comments like "old man", "slow poke", and "yes it's a new car but you're not going to break it"! She asked why I was driving the speed limit (70), which I never do. I explained that the cruise was set at 75 when she passed me. She insisted she was going 70 or just above. I thought she was BS'ing me. But not yet comfortable with the BMW's navigation system, I took my Nuvi portable GPS on my trip today. The Nuvi shows real time speed, and it consistently read 4 or 5 mph below the speedometer reading. Obviously I'll take it up with my dealer's service manager, but of all things to have a problem with... the speedometer? In 2012?!?!

That's my initial impression. I would also like to add that it appears as if the thick door sills combined with lower seat height is going to be a problem. My wife can't enter or exit without dragging her pant legs on the rocker panel, and I can only do it if I'm extremely careful. It should be an interesting winter, as I will undoubtedly tire quickly of having dirty pants when meeting with clients. Finally, although I was told I would hear from BMW today, I have not. I wish I could say I'm surprised.
Attached Images

Last edited by HotRodW; 09-17-2012 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Sweet ride. Congrats.

RE the speedo:

European regulation, ECE-R 39, states that the speed indicated must never be lower than the true speed or higher by more than one-tenth of true speed plus four kilometers per hour (79.5 mph at a true 70).
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
Sweet ride. Congrats.

RE the speedo:

European regulation, ECE-R 39, states that the speed indicated must never be lower than the true speed or higher by more than one-tenth of true speed plus four kilometers per hour (79.5 mph at a true 70).
Interesting tidbit - Thanks! Although with a 5 mph buffer, I think they've more than covered their asses on that one!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

Nice, pretty much the same spec as ours (except for interior color), I certainly hope mine will come with the paddle shifters as that is definitely something I want! I guess we'll see in 2 weeks when I pick it up form the Welt...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

I am spec'ing a very similar car - what was MSRP, and what was your final price?

Car looks beautiful, congrats!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
X1MSPORT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Congrats! That's sharp.

I do like the Le Mans Blue but I went with Alpine White. I have an appointment to pick mine up tomorrow (9/18/12) at 11:30 am and can't wait!

How's the steering feel at lower speeds? I got Servotronic on mine as I read so many complaints about the heavy steering at lower speeds.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
I am spec'ing a very similar car - what was MSRP, and what was your final price?

Car looks beautiful, congrats!
Thanks! MSRP was $45,495. I purchased from a "Value Priced" dealer - discount was $1,000 non-negotiable, plus $1,000 BMW Drive discount. $43,495 purchase price. I did get them to toss in floor mats, but BMW is only offering the HD mats, not the Weathertech-style liners. I then added the wheel and tire insurance for $599, which covers any wheels and tires, including aftermarket winter wheels for 5 years/100,000 miles (zero deductible).

The shopping experience was pretty disappointing. I contacted four area dealers, and three of them kept playing games and wouldn't give me a simple price quote. They all said get your other offers and come see me last. That went on for nearly two weeks. Ridiculous games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1MSPORT View Post
Congrats! That's sharp.

I do like the Le Mans Blue but I went with Alpine White. I have an appointment to pick mine up tomorrow (9/18/12) at 11:30 am and can't wait!

How's the steering feel at lower speeds? I got Servotronic on mine as I read so many complaints about the heavy steering at lower speeds.
Alpine White is classic BMW. Hard to go wrong there.

The steering effort is high, so parking lots and tight spaces offer a bit of a workout. I don't mind much because I love the stability at anything above parking lot speeds. I experienced the Servo in the 3-Series and I could live with it, but I do prefer the standard hydraulic assist. It won't be long until hydraulic goes away completely.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Both our Clubman S which we traded and my e93 335 are off 2-3 miles per hour based on Garmin GPS ( off higher at higher speed). Nice color, I like this blue more than the other dark one which is available. I was lucky and got the paddle shifters but had a copy of the order form which is downloadable on this web site so I caught it. Did you get Goodyear Efficient Grips?
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Did you get Goodyear Efficient Grips?
Yes, I got the Goodyears. The tire is quiet, but then what tire isn't when it's brand new? We'll see how it's doing in 10,000 miles. The ride is acceptable, but impacts can be downright jarring. The car does not like expansion joints. I'll have a better idea how much the tires contribute to that once I get my non-runflat 17" winter tire package mounted.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Nice pics! Nice colour combo!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
HottRodW:

Great pictures! I'm looking at the exact same color combination.

Your expectation is that the Goodyears that came with the car will handle poorly in snow? What winter tires are you looking at?

I believe my dealer had Goodyears with R17's on some X1's. Better choice for snow in your opinion?

Pirelli P7's were on some X1's as well.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
HottRodW:

Great pictures! I'm looking at the exact same color combination.

Your expectation is that the Goodyears that came with the car will handle poorly in snow? What winter tires are you looking at?

I believe my dealer had Goodyears with R17's on some X1's. Better choice for snow in your opinion?

Pirelli P7's were on some X1's as well.

Thanks!
The Goodyears on the M Sport are summer tires. Summer rubber simply won't cut it in my area when the lake effect snows start.

I already have my winter package ready to go. While I love the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's we have on our Q5, I wanted something that handles a bit better for the X1. After considerable debate, I finally decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3. I'll sacrifice a little snow and ice traction, but they'll still be far better than all seasons without compromising dry traction too much.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

1,000 mile update . . .

I've hit 1,000 miles and I'm averaging 27 mpg with mostly highway miles. Eco Pro wrecks throttle response and makes the cabin less comfortable, so I've stopped using it for the most part. Since it doesn't activate much with my driving, I have allowed the auto start to function normally. I've gotten pretty good at anticipating starts and getting the engine to fire before I need to pull into traffic. I will probably still have the program changed to default to last setting.

Despite my concerns, the M Sport's ride with the standard 18" wheels is fine - even on less than ideal Michigan and Illinois roads. I continue to tweak the seat adjustments and I'm happy - even a little surprised - to report that the seat comfort on long drives is excellent, although the seats retain a lot of heat. I really like the adaptive xenons. I expected more gimmick than function, but they really make a difference.

Paddle shifter fiasco aside, my biggest disappointment is a malfunctioning cruise control. The "set" feature only works intermittently, and "resume" won't work at all. I'll have it looked at soon. I am less than impressed with the navigation system to this point as well. I continue to carry my Garmin Nuvi out of familiarity and ease of use. I will have to start weening myself off the Garmin, or at least attempt to do so. I also cannot figure out why when switching back to radio from media, it automatically defaults to AM. I have not even tuned an AM station, and all my presets are sat stations, so I can't figure out why it continues to default to AM. Any ideas?

I would also like to know why BMW doesn't offer the floor liners or heavy duty cargo mats here in the US that they have in Europe? Finally, how is it possible that a $45,000 car does not have a sunglasses holder??? Seems like a silly oversight to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

[QUOTE=HottRodW;12745873]I've hit 1,000 miles and I'm averaging 27 mpg with mostly highway miles. Eco Pro wrecks throttle response and makes the cabin less comfortable, so I've stopped using it for the most part. Since it doesn't activate much with my driving, I have allowed the auto start to function normally. I've gotten pretty good at anticipating starts and getting the engine to fire before I need to pull into traffic. I will probably still have the program changed to default to last setting.

Despite my concerns, the M Sport's ride with the standard 18" wheels is fine - even on less than ideal Michigan and Illinois roads. I continue to tweak the seat adjustments and I'm happy - even a little surprised - to report that the seat comfort on long drives is excellent, although the seats retain a lot of heat. I really like the adaptive xenons. I expected more gimmick than function, but they really make a difference.

Thanks for your account. Have an X1 28i XDrive MSport on order with almost identical specs in Sapphire Black/Coral Red interior. Glad to hear your satisfaction with the ride/tires. Our order also has the 18" "mixed" tires which were not on any X1 in any local dealer inventory.
Test drove a few X1's before ordering and tried EcoPro mode in city traffic. Was surprised how well the turbo power helped accelerate the X1, even in comparison to our 35i X3 mSport. Did not notice a significantly reduced a/c performance in eco-pro even tho it was in the 90's.
Do have a few questions for you.
What tire pressure are you running? Test drove an X1 mSport with 19"'s and decided not to upgrade.
With your lights does the fog light on the side of your turn also come on during the turn (right or left side on during right/left turn)?
How do you find the steering at low speeds (we also decided not to add servotronic)?
Happy trails.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #15
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtexan View Post
Do have a few questions for you.
What tire pressure are you running?
Factory recommended: 35 front/38 rear I typically run 2 or 3 pounds higher than recommended, but I'll be less likely to do that with these wheels/tires

With your lights does the fog light on the side of your turn also come on during the turn (right or left side on during right/left turn)
Yes - the driver's side fog illuminates solid on a left turn. Both lights stay solid if the fog lights are already on.

How do you find the steering at low speeds (we also decided not to add servotronic)?
I would definitely describe the steering as "high effort". If the steering weren't so perfect on twisties or at highway speeds where I spend the bulk of my time, I would probably feel like I made a mistake. Without question there will be city drivers and parking garage dwellers with this setup that will quickly grow tired of muscling the car and will ultimately regret not getting the Servotronic.
Another comment on the ride ... although I don't take issue with the firm ride quality, there will be some that disagree. I think it will largely depend on your driving style and what you're used to. I have never liked an overly cushy ride. Having rented an Impala once recently, I drove it about ten miles before turning around to take it back. The springs seemed to be in a constant state of rebound, and I felt like I was going to get sea sick. I exchanged it for a Focus, which while considerably firmer, felt far more comfortable to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #16
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the comment on the steering as most of our miles should be highway also.
Interesting comment on the rental as the X1 will replace our year old 2012 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback (that's a whole other story) which had in turn replaced our 2008 Mini Cooper S. The ride in the Focus is okay, but the Mini had performance runflats with sport suspension and was a very harsh ride on anything other than smooth highways. Test drove an mSport X1 with 19's and the ride felt fine by comparison. Assuming the 18"s will be marginally more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
Another comment on the ride ... although I don't take issue with the firm ride quality, there will be some that disagree. I think it will largely depend on your driving style and what you're used to. I have never liked an overly cushy ride. Having rented an Impala once recently, I drove it about ten miles before turning around to take it back. The springs seemed to be in a constant state of rebound, and I felt like I was going to get sea sick. I exchanged it for a Focus, which while considerably firmer, felt far more comfortable to me.
Having a fused spine, I opted for the M sports precisely because of the stiffer suspension. Short jolts doesn't bother my back, but long stretch-compress-stretch-compress movements do. I also appreciate less side movements.
The wife unit prefers softer suspension, and almost never uses the sports mode on her car that tightens it up. So there's room for both - some might prefer Citroen style foam hammock suspension, while others don't. Having a choice is good.

Most of the other extras of the M sports line seems to me to just be gimmicks. A top speed raised from "losing your license for good" to 10 mph above that? Nah, not really of much use. If some people reach that speed it's likely for testing whether it does reach that speed, and nothing else.
Then there are the apparently larger air intakes. Which aren't funnelled, so there's no extra air to the engine. It's cosmetic, just like being able to pick "Le Mans Blue". A nice enough color, but the only reason it's exclusive is to make it exclusive.
Anyhow, the biggest disappointment in the design department is that there isn't a red model in the US. Strange.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #18
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
The Goodyears on the M Sport are summer tires. Summer rubber simply won't cut it in my area when the lake effect snows start.

I already have my winter package ready to go. While I love the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's we have on our Q5, I wanted something that handles a bit better for the X1. After considerable debate, I finally decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3. I'll sacrifice a little snow and ice traction, but they'll still be far better than all seasons without compromising dry traction too much.

Thanks HottRodW!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #19
masuzu
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i M-Sport and BMW X1

Garage List
What's the size of your iDrive screen? is it 10"inch?
      09-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

More Pics

The first pics were snapped at sundown under overcast skies, so I snapped a few today in direct sunlight to show how the light affects the color.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0