XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Retractable cargo cover?

Wondering if anyone knows if a retractable cover like the one they have for the X3, X5 old M Coupe etc was available for the X1?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

This is the part that was in my E36/8. I'd like the upper screen for keeping my dog in the hatch area, she's a resourceful little thing.

But this odd thing is what's listed on RealOEM, as part # 51472990745, and it's hard to tell if it would be transparent and it also requires some hardware to be installed into the headliner, which seems less than ideal.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

That's interesting and it seems to hook to the top like the X3 divider which would require the addition of some hardware unless the X1 actually has those receptacles already (I didn't look so have no idea). Unfortunately for me it doesn't include the roller cargo cover portion, it's just the divider net.

By the way, if you are relying on it to keep a dog in the back you may want to see photos installed first, the implementation on the X3 (or maybe it was an X5, have seen a lot of Xs lately) that I saw left big gaps on either side. Your best bet might just be one of the metal partition designed with dogs in mind
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

My Aussie 23d was shipped with a divider which looks much the same as part # 51472990745, but the upper portion is mesh.

There are 2 sets of mounting points, behind the rear seats, and behind the front seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
li21
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

no one has seen any after market roller cargo blinds?
would love to be able to make use of the X1's cargo height without having to remove the parcel shelf each time ..

Just retract when more space is needed and pull out when privacy is needed..
Im surprised this doesnt exist in BMW's long list of options?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Capionsfd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 m sport

The X1 owners manual talks about the divider. It also says you can use with seats folded behind the driver/ passenger seats
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
KaKiT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xLine

has anyone already found a solution for a retractable cargo cover?
im badly looking for one =X removing the current cargo cover each time is so annoying!!! :X
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
li21
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Doesn't look like anything available. Would have to be custom made which would be expensive for a one off.

I asked a maker over here if they would be interested in creating a bulk batch but they said it would not be worth it for them
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
KaKiT
Enlisted Member
Rep

aaah thats a pity

will a X3 cargo cover fit in a X1, by modifying it a bit?

Last edited by KaKiT; 05-02-2013 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

I'm interested in this accessory if exists...I have a Shar Pei
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I got so frustrated with the standard rigid cover/parcel shelf that I just removed it completely. It simply isn't practical if you use the cargo area the way I do. A retractable cover would be much better for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Because it doesn't cover the entire access area, it wouldn't stop a determined dog. So that means it's for dogs who aren't going to go there anyhow. I thus opted for the hammock style rear cover, which protects the dogs from falling down or getting a leg stuck behind the front seats whether the rear seats are folded or not and protects the front seats from slobber and whatnot. The only bad thing about it is the price - over $300 for a generic cover? For that price, it should have been both fitted and color coordinated (with the car interior or the dogs - take your pick).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Because it doesn't cover the entire access area, it wouldn't stop a determined dog. So that means it's for dogs who aren't going to go there anyhow. I thus opted for the hammock style rear cover, which protects the dogs from falling down or getting a leg stuck behind the front seats whether the rear seats are folded or not and protects the front seats from slobber and whatnot. The only bad thing about it is the price - over $300 for a generic cover? For that price, it should have been both fitted and color coordinated (with the car interior or the dogs - take your pick).
How much is the hammock style rear cover?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
KaKiT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
I got so frustrated with the standard rigid cover/parcel shelf that I just removed it completely. It simply isn't practical if you use the cargo area the way I do. A retractable cover would be much better for my needs.
When u remove the cover, is the ´wheeldriving sound´ at the rear seats more noisy??
      05-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaKiT View Post
When u remove the cover, is the ´wheeldriving sound´ at the rear seats more noisy??
YES, at least it is in mine. Volume knob takes care of that though
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinBimmer View Post
How much is the hammock style rear cover?
"The only bad thing about it is the price - over $300 for a generic cover?"

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/39...IVE-REAR-COVER has it at $340.
It's darker in reality than it looks on the web page.

At least my dogs will be safer, and I'll get less slobber and hair.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
famfmann
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Grovsnus, did you get your cover yet? I'm trying to hold off transporting my dogs in the X1 as long as possible until I need to get something like this too!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by famfmann View Post
Grovsnus, did you get your cover yet? I'm trying to hold off transporting my dogs in the X1 as long as possible until I need to get something like this too!
Yes, I have it. It's really nice - absorbent and washable, and protects the dogs, which is even more important than protecting the car (which it also does).
It's also quick to put on, after you scratch your head for five minutes the first time -- just hook it over the headrests - either both the front and the rear to make a hammock, or just the fronts if you have the rears folded forward. You can even split it 2/3rds.
But for $340 it should be nice too. Just saying.

I'll see whether I can take some pictures when daylight returns.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #19
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaKiT View Post
It may be more noticeable in the rear seats, but I have not experienced a substantial increase in cabin noise with the shelf removed. Noisy cargo such as clanging golf clubs or empty beer bottles surely must be more more intrusive without the cover, but it hasn't been an issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
anelson86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
I'll see whether I can take some pictures when daylight returns.
Photos would be appreciated. We've got an X1 coming in a few months and I'm trying to decide how best to handle our two dogs in it (both about 50 lbs). Not sure if the hammock solution would work or if we'll need to go for a proper dog gate in the back.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson86 View Post
Photos would be appreciated. We've got an X1 coming in a few months and I'm trying to decide how best to handle our two dogs in it (both about 50 lbs). Not sure if the hammock solution would work or if we'll need to go for a proper dog gate in the back.
As I see it, it's not so much an either/or - a gate prevents dogs from getting to the front, but doesn't do anything to protect the dogs from falling down behind the seat, nor protect the interior from slobber and muddy paws.

Anyhow, this is what the "hammock" really looks like. Note that it's a generic, and is a bit droopy with the front seats far back, but still does the job. And it doesn't look like the pictures on shopbmwusa. Those are apparently of a different cover, fitted to a different car.

With seats far back, open on one side to give dogs access:
Name:  x35i-005.jpg
Views: 6855
Size:  538.8 KB

With rear seats folded down, side panels removed and on one side (so you can see the waterproof backing):
Name:  x35i-003.jpg
Views: 6828
Size:  591.2 KB

Detail, thick felt, but some small zipper holes:
Name:  x35i-004.jpg
Views: 6714
Size:  558.6 KB

I tried to get a pic with a doggie in it, but she wasn't cooperative, and was more interested in chewing on a stick

Name:  honi04.jpg
Views: 6746
Size:  712.9 KB

If getting a gate, make sure it covers the sides all the way, or else it's pretty useless, as the average dog takes 0.3 seconds to figure out that if it can't get through the middle, it can squeeze through on the side...
Instead of a gate, I prefer saying NO a dozen times, until the dog understands that going to the front isn't acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
anelson86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Thanks for the pictures - I was thinking it may come up a bit higher in the middle to keep them from trying to climb into the front. Obviously training them not to do it would be ideal, but when my dogs get together they are unstoppable. They've managed to open a gate with two latches and run around the neighbourhood.

Has anyone had any luck finding a good gate to keep the dogs in the back (either behind the front seats or second row).
Appreciate 0