XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

ASS Default to Last User Mode

Are dealers reprogramming this for X1s or is the option only available for 3 series owners?

I thought it was possible for all bimmers but am being told its not possible for the X1.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

My dealer has already agreed to change mine. I believe other X1 owners here have already had it done.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
MaX PL
Major
Rep

ok thanks. perhaps i should have been more specific though.

my dealer said it cant be changed due to NYS emissions. so any NY owners have their changed?

Last edited by MaX PL; 10-09-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
carolvinny
Rep
Drives: 2009 328XI

I got the same answer form my dealer in NY. Hate the ASS and was told it could not be turned off on the X1 28 at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
MaX PL
Major
Rep

do you think scheduling an appointment with a dealer in another state, like CT for example, would work? or would they base it on where the car is registered?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 530i,10 Golf,11 Sorento V6

Someone please verify this, I may cancel my order if it cannot be disabled. I rather have a choice and the car remembers my preference.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Au111
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble_Bear
Someone please verify this, I may cancel my order if it cannot be disabled. I rather have a choice and the car remembers my preference.
That seems like a fairly drastic reason to cancel. There are a couple of easily accessible ways of defeating ass: the dash button and brake pedal pressure. You can easily avoid it when you expect stop&go or a short stop.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Endless Details
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Touring F31 Xdrive M

Mine was done at BMW of Bridgeport in CT.
I have a 28i Xdrive M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
MSportX1
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au111 View Post
That seems like a fairly drastic reason to cancel. There are a couple of easily accessible ways of defeating ass: the dash button and brake pedal pressure. You can easily avoid it when you expect stop&go or a short stop.
Or if you do not care too much about mpg, you can always put shifter to S mode. In S mode, it not only auto disables ASS, but also drives fast. You get a lot of fun. This is what I am going to do if BMW cannot permanently set ASS to last user preference mode. So, do not cancel your order of a lovely X1 just because of a small ASS issue.

Last edited by MSportX1; 10-10-2012 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep

How many seconds after you come to a halt would the ASS turn off the engine?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
MSportX1
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble_Bear View Post
I do not know exactly, probably less 4-5 seconds. By the way, a guy in 3 series forum discussed how to use foot to control ASS. After practicing in a park lot for about a half hour, his foot can control ASS easily. If he does not want ASS to kick in, he just slightly release the foot brake before the car is fully stopped. On the contrary, if he wants ASS to kick in (engine shutdown), he push the break hard and all way down. Using foot to control ASS is a quite interesting technique.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #12
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep

Or you can just shift to N and when you want to go, just put it back. No need to press any botton on the shifter. Engine is more relaxed at N without the burden of fighting the brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
MaX PL
Major
Rep

Quote:
its actually pretty much instant and you hardly even notice it turn off.

the first time it happened was when i was pulling out of the dealer for a test drive, and i was pretty surprised at how seamless it was. but even very light movement of the brake while stopped turns the engine back on or off which was what annoyed me most.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep

I've test driven 2. The first one would activate after 3 seconds; the last one almost instant. I think the most ideal is to activate after 5 seconds from stop, you don't want it to activate when you are jammed in traffic or stop at a stop sign. The manual does say using this feature will shorten life of the related components in the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
The manual does say using this feature will shorten life of the related components in the car.
After doing a quick search, I couldn't find prices on the N20 starter and solenoid. I hope it isn't too much.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
After doing a quick search, I couldn't find prices on the N20 starter and solenoid. I hope it isn't too much.
I am sure BMW calculated those components would break after the warranty is over. I don't think the fuel savings would justify the repair cost & inconveniences. The only time I would turn off the engine is at the red light.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

It kicks in either after something like 2.5 seconds, or not (if it decides it won't do it at the moment because it wants to keep the engine running for one of the many reasons).

It's actually really easy to control: release the brakes a little bit but not completely (like a little 'reverse dab') will restart the engine without letting the car move forward. Once you have restarted it like that it won't consider turning off again until the next stop. I use this to 'prime the engine' (if you can call it that) at the lights before it turns green again, no delay.

My wife says: don't buy an X1 because it has start/stop, please do buy a gas guzzling proper large SUV instead (preferably with a V8 no turbo or direct injection, 2 tons of weight, aerodynamics of a brick, and a gear box with 4 gears max) so she can have the only X1 on the road. .

I personally can't wait to be back in SF so I can pull next to a Prius driver at the light, have the engine stop and have them look at the X1 thinking it's a hybrid (since their engine will also be stopped they will hear mine stop) and then I can laugh at them as I leave them in my dust peeling off when the light goes green... muhahahahah!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #18
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

I'm in nj. Mine agreed to change to L U M as well- thank goodness. The hesitation ass causes merging into traffic is too risky.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #19
Humble_Bear
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by popopine View Post
I'm in nj. Mine agreed to change to L U M as well- thank goodness. The hesitation ass causes merging into traffic is too risky.
Agree with you 100%. Most accidents happened at the intersections. Imagine yourself trying to make a quick left turn at the signal light before incoming cars and ASS turns off your engine right before you lift off the brake. People behind you saw your brake light went off thinking you would dash forward so he bumps into your rear end.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm View Post
I personally can't wait to be back in SF so I can pull next to a Prius driver at the light, have the engine stop and have them look at the X1 thinking it's a hybrid (since their engine will also be stopped they will hear mine stop) and then I can laugh at them as I leave them in my dust peeling off when the light goes green... muhahahahah!
But doesn't the need to start the engine mean you're going to be delayed when the light turns green? Even if fast, it's not instantaneous. While in modern hybrids, the electric engine starts pulling immediately while the gas engine starts.

I think you have to put the 28i in sports mode where the engine stop is turned off, and rev it slightly before the light goes green to get anything like the 0-60 in 6.2 s (sDrive) or 6.3 s (xDrive) that BMW claims. With A.S.S. on, I would think it's closer to the Prius than you might think.
So you might want to keep your fingers off your shoulder unless you have a 35i.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #21
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

I've had my manual X1 for 18 months now. The ASS system is an absoulute ass! I've nearly had accidents 5 or 6 times because it kicked in whilst I was actually still in gear - most times in 1st, once whilst I was in second. problem with it is that you think you've stalled it, so you jab the start button to restart which switches the car off completley, then you realise you've shut the car off so you jab at it again. That all takes a couple of seconds and your heart rate's gone up a few notches. My incidents happened crawling around shopping centre carparks and once while reversing out of an angled carpark out onto a road.
When it works predictably it is instantaneous from the moment you release the clutch.
How it goes on auto's I don't know, but if you can't program it off I'd question buying the car. For me, my dealer reprogrammed the car 2 months ago and it's a completely different car to drive because of my relaxed state now. It had got to a point where I was waiting for the ASS to kick in at every take off from an intersection.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #22
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusX1 View Post
I've had my manual X1 for 18 months now. The ASS system is an absoulute ass! I've nearly had accidents 5 or 6 times because it kicked in whilst I was actually still in gear - most times in 1st, once whilst I was in second. problem with it is that you think you've stalled it, so you jab the start button to restart which switches the car off completley, then you realise you've shut the car off so you jab at it again. That all takes a couple of seconds and your heart rate's gone up a few notches. My incidents happened crawling around shopping centre carparks and once while reversing out of an angled carpark out onto a road.
When it works predictably it is instantaneous from the moment you release the clutch.
How it goes on auto's I don't know, but if you can't program it off I'd question buying the car. For me, my dealer reprogrammed the car 2 months ago and it's a completely different car to drive because of my relaxed state now. It had got to a point where I was waiting for the ASS to kick in at every take off from an intersection.
Sounds like you had ASS PTSD!
Appreciate 0