Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

05-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #1
MauX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

New e84 owner with some questions

First of all I want to say Hello and introduce my self. My name is Mauricio, I live in Mexico City and I am the new owner of a 2012 3.0 X1. It has a N52 engine and a GM 6sp transmission. Some years ago I had an e36 and later an e46.

I know a 10 year old car will need some maintenance and repairs and I starting to work on this.

So far I have done:
⁃ Oil Change
⁃ Air filter Change
⁃ Parking brake adjustment

What I have noticed:
⁃ Wrong spark plugs (LFR5A11) Will replace then today
⁃ Wrong coolant (green)
⁃ Valve cover oil leak
⁃ Coolant leak (a few drops, from coolant pump I think)
⁃ Error Memory (scanned with BiimerLink)
⁃ 2FA4 Wrong Data Record
⁃ 2F71 E-box fan Control (removed and reinstalled fuse and code cleared)
⁃ 9CCE Drive mirror passenger side defective
⁃ BimmerCode error memory contains critical error on the footwell section

The car feels slow, heavy.... could this be caused by spark plugs??? fuel pressure???

Next step for me is fix the leaks starting with the oil one and here is where te questions start:

Where should i look for information on my engine?? I have noticed that it is not common engine on e84

How common is a cracked valve cover?? Could I replace the only the gaskets (Valve cover, sensor and valvetronic motor)

Some DIY do the VCG change with no need to reprogram/reset the valvetronic motor. Is this OK??

Talking about the coolant leak… what should I look for??? Where in the pump area could a leak show up?? Is it fixable??

I think that is it for now…

Thank you all for your help and for a great forum with a lot of Info.

Last edited by MauX1; 05-07-2022 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: added symptoms
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 07:43 AM   #2
E46M3E84X1
Rep
Drives: Xdrive 35i

You should just google for the N52 and there should be a lot of info since it’s shared with different models. (Realoem.com is great to look for part numbers and a few diagrams) Friend of mine works for BMW and he said it’s pretty common for a warped or cracked valve cover (I would start with the gaskets first). He also said that you need to reset the valvetronic or you can leave it alone and it should reset by itself within a few days (you might get a rough idle in the meantime). If it’s a higher mileage I would re-do the whole cooling system, but could be just a hose that connects to the water pump. Might be a good idea to remove the belly pan and give the engine a good clean to try and pin point the leaks.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 01:27 PM   #3
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Welcome to the forum!
I didn't know the e84 X1 came with an N52 engine. It's cool. I'd say basically anything that can occur in N52 apply with your car. But generally this genre of engine is known to be a reliable powerplant from BMW. Care & maintenance will go a long way in keeping it that way.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 05:06 PM   #4
MauX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M3E84X1 View Post
You should just google for the N52 and there should be a lot of info since it’s shared with different models. (Realoem.com is great to look for part numbers and a few diagrams) Friend of mine works for BMW and he said it’s pretty common for a warped or cracked valve cover (I would start with the gaskets first). He also said that you need to reset the valvetronic or you can leave it alone and it should reset by itself within a few days (you might get a rough idle in the meantime). If it’s a higher mileage I would re-do the whole cooling system, but could be just a hose that connects to the water pump. Might be a good idea to remove the belly pan and give the engine a good clean to try and pin point the leaks.
Thank you so much!!! Realoem is great... I decided to replace the full valve cover and gaskets, including oil cooler and the coolant flange near the cooler (it is dripping)

It is 60K miles so I will fix every thing else and then start to re-do the cooling system. Will clean the engine after this gaskets change to see if something is left.

I will report back....
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 05:08 PM   #5
MauX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Welcome to the forum!
I didn't know the e84 X1 came with an N52 engine. It's cool. I'd say basically anything that can occur in N52 apply with your car. But generally this genre of engine is known to be a reliable powerplant from BMW. Care & maintenance will go a long way in keeping it that way.
Yes!!! it is a rare combination... I am using E90 forum for engine maintenance...

I am trying to put her in order and then keep care and maintenance in order.

Thanks!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 05:09 PM   #6
MauX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

UPDATE:

So far I have already:
  • Replaced the Valve cover (complete with gaskets) No problem with valvetronic motor removal or reinstall using PCP Euro DIY. No relearn or reprogram needed.
  • Replaced oil filter housing and oil cooler Gasket
  • Spark Plugs
  • Replaced coolant flange with an aluminum one

Hopefully this will eliminate or at least significantly reduce the leaks. I am going to wait for a few days and then clean the underbody to check again for leaks.

Next will be transmission fluid change with filter and pan gasket (GM Transmission) and after that will try to solve the 2FA4 Wrong Data Record failure code.

Thanks again for a great place to get info to maintain my car!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #7
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Good job in performing these maintenance.

Re: Transmission. I'm surprised it us using the Getrag unit as opposed to ZF. 35i X1 6-spd are ZF. GM's Getrag is less fussy than ZF in terms of fluid requirements. I'd avoid performing tranny adaptation based on what I've read.

Don't forget to refresh the coolant. Replace thermostat and WP only as needed.

Just noticed you are from Mexico. We're visiting Riviera Maya next week! Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 07:08 AM   #8
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

OP - Welcome! Glad to have a new member of the community!

Gamb1t - Sounds like fun, safe travels!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 10:04 AM   #9
MauX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Good job in performing these maintenance.

Re: Transmission. I'm surprised it us using the Getrag unit as opposed to ZF. 35i X1 6-spd are ZF. GM's Getrag is less fussy than ZF in terms of fluid requirements. I'd avoid performing tranny adaptation based on what I've read.

Don't forget to refresh the coolant. Replace thermostat and WP only as needed.

Just noticed you are from Mexico. We're visiting Riviera Maya next week! Can't wait!
Yes! Dexron VI is a lot cheaper and easy to get. I still have a hose to replace and verify there are no more coolant leaks and then proceed with coolant refresh. hopefully in the next 2 weeks. After replacing the coolant flange it looks like there is no more coolant on the floor.

Enjoy your visit and don't forget to visit Xcaret, Cozumel (snorkeling there is great) and all the other historical places there.... a beatifull place.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 10:05 AM   #10
MauX1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
OP - Welcome! Glad to have a new member of the community!
Thanks!!!!!
Appreciate 0