XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 Xdrive

Let's talk wheels

So it's been a full year and I've had a chance to really put some mileage on this platform. Long story short, lov'n it, I could start a discussion about how much I love it but I'll save that for another day, right now I want to focus on wheel choice. First time with a "real" vehicle so forgive me if some of these topics have been discussed already or are common knowledge...

So, the car came with a set of summer run flats on super generic rims, which I absolutely hate, images of both summer and winter rim sets attached. So after using them over the summer, then just switching back to my winter rim set, which are non run flats, I'm noticing a bunch of things, but I have yet to figure out the nuances of what is what.

So, for starters, I hate the way the summer wheelset looks, I don't like the rims/spoke pattern, it's too closed off and just looks boring and generic and doesn't show off the calipers and rotors ala more sporty rimset (like my winters). They seem to be stanced less wide also (I'm assuming that has to do with "offset") which ofcourse always looks super grandpa. Issue #2 is although I notice slightly less rolling resistance, they feel darty AF....compared to my winter wheelset which feels so damn planted and safe and stable. I literally can't let go of the steering wheel with my summer wheelset, or she just picks up every slope and slant of the road and get's pulled everywhere... So my question is, is that normal? is that a product of the runflats themselves, the tires, the rim design? or something else?

Issue #3 is they feel heavy AF. Now I'm not sure the weight is enough to make a difference but if I didn't notice any better, now that I have my winters on (non run flats) and lighter rimset in general, it feels just plain sportier, quicker pick up and hauls etc. Any thoughts on this?

Having said all that. I did like that when I got a nail in one this summer, I was able to roll on it with no problem, literally no air pressure left and could hardly tell it was flat.

So it's fall in Canada, I'm on my winter rimset, and first things first, they feel lighter and more nimble. They feel SUPER planted, grippy and stable. I can let go of the wheel and it tracks nice and straight with a confident feel. I'd say overall it just "drives" better on the winters, aside from slightly more perceptible rolling resistance.
I also LOVE the look, I feel they're just perfect amount of sidewall vs. rim size for my taste and they have more offset which ofcourse looks badass. For our roads here in Quebec, low profiles are not ideal so I'm digg'n the 50/R17" size fr now. So my question is, what are my options? Could I just fck swapping wheels in spring and just keep my winters on over the summer? obviously they will wear faster, slightly worse fuel economy.... or should I look into getting better rims for the summer, with more offset, putting on the same tires or just ditching the run flats entirely.... LMK what you think. Cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

For starters, other than minor differences due to wear, the OD is going to be identical for any 225/50/17. So I do not see how there could possibly be a 1" difference between your summer and winter setups.

I would go one of two routes.

#1 - swap your tires/rims (put your summer tires on your winter rims and you winter tires on you summer rims). That way you have the nicer looking (to you) combo for the time of year you want to be able to see your calipers (not that the factory ones are a sight to see).

#2 - if you just plain don't like the summer rims, get something new. I'd suggest a set of nice lightweight Apex ARC8s in black or anthracite.

I absolutely would not run winter tires all year long. The horrible stopping performance would frankly be hazardous.
      11-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Also, those do not look like summer tires to me. I could be wrong, but they look like Bridgestone DriveGuards to me.

If so, there is nothing performance about that tire. Others have, but personally I would never run these on a BMW.

If you stay with 17" wheels I would go with a set of 245/45/17 tires. Both the high speed stability and the turn-in are much better (this is from direct experience).
      11-07-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
For starters, other than minor differences due to wear, the OD is going to be identical for any 225/50/17. So I do not see how there could possibly be a 1" difference between your summer and winter setups.

I would go one of two routes.

#1 - swap your tires/rims (put your summer tires on your winter rims and you winter tires on you summer rims). That way you have the nicer looking (to you) combo for the time of year you want to be able to see your calipers (not that the factory ones are a sight to see).

#2 - if you just plain don't like the summer rims, get something new. I'd suggest a set of nice lightweight Apex ARC8s in black or anthracite.

I absolutely would not run winter tires all year long. The horrible stopping performance would frankly be hazardous.
The OD is about the same, I went by eye so not that accurate, but I'm pretty sure the winter tire comes out a tad larger, that just might be the treads though.

Yeah, not sure if I want to swap, because I'm not sure if the "dartyness" is due to the run flats....but I'm assuming it would have to do more with the rim width? but both tires sit at ~ 9" wide so I'm confused as to what's going on with that.

I'll most likely just go with a new rimset for the summer. Nice suggestion, I like them. My whip is grey so I partial to bronze on grey. I think the path forward would be to do that, just get rims and put the RF's on them. If I'm not happy with handling, then spring for new tires completely. One thing I know is that the RF's are heavy AF. I don't like that, it's really noticeable and takes away from the sportiness.

Thanks for the helpful comments.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Also, those do not look like summer tires to me. I could be wrong, but they look like Bridgestone DriveGuards to me.

If so, there is nothing performance about that tire. Others have, but personally I would never run these on a BMW.

If you stay with 17" wheels I would go with a set of 245/45/17 tires. Both the high speed stability and the turn-in are much better (this is from direct experience).
Nah, just checked, they're actually Driveguards so all seasons. Had no idea
Good to know about the tire size. So if I understand tire size correctly, that would = smaller sidewall, wider width, so OD would drop a bit???
So I guess it's safe to say, the wider the tire, the less darty and more stable?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:18 PM   #6
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

As said, not sure how you are running 225/50/17 on both sets and different overall diameter.

And as said use the nicer set of wheels for summer.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #7
Jonathan0880
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeEmVe View Post
As said, not sure how you are running 225/50/17 on both sets and different overall diameter.

And as said use the nicer set of wheels for summer.
answered that above, wasn't the most accurate measurement, winter might be a tad larger due to treads.. but yes, we'll assume they're the same. The main issue I'm trying to figure out is to keep the run flats or not, I'm just trying to figure out why it feels squirrelier on the summer rims and runflats...

Last edited by Jonathan0880; 11-07-2020 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Why don't you weigh the different wheel and tire combos?

My stock 355M X1 8x18 wheel and Pirelli runflat P& summer 225/45r18 weighed 55#.

I put Michelin PS4S in 225/40r18 and it's now around 50-51#.

Car accelerates faster mostly due to 25 inch tire instead of 26.
Appreciate 0