XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
mrbodhi
Rep
Drives: Mini Copper S

Very anonying defects

GF has had the 23d for 6 months now and here is the list of pain in the butt defects or design flaws:

If you have the right central vent of the airconditioning working and pointed upwards the air flow hits the built in microphone...the person on the other side of the line cant hear anything

the leather seats do not have any venting at all - i.e. no ribs to let air flow...result is extremely hot between body and seat

even with the sun protection windows (which are only applied to the back passengers windows) the sun heat goes smack into the cabin - unusually so and when driving with direct sun light it gets too hot - I think BMW forgot to apply the RV filter...at least compared to my mini

due to the previous point the car heats up when left in direct sun light...wayyyyy tooo much

when cruising along if you have you left foot on the foot support you dont feel any vibrations...put it flat on the floor and there is some vibrations - bare foot at least

when the fuel is low you cant see the external temp...pain in the butt

consumption does not go below 9.5....

thats it for now...anybody else have any of the above?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

I´ve had my car for two months now and my fuel consuption is 7.2 - 7.9...9.5 seems VERY high.

My Navi Pro has it´s own life, it thinks that I´m about 60 km NW from the real position...

I also feel that the cruise control is a bit nervous and it is really a pain in the butt you cant have separate bass/treble for radio/CD
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

When the yellow fuel indicator lights up, you can see the time and temp by pressing the BC button.

I have 3M tints on all windows except windshield and the car doesn't boil up like you said even if the outside temp is 40 celsius degrees.

My fuel consumption is generally between 8.5-9.0 liters but this is when I shift between 3k-4k rpm. 7.5-8.0 when driven calmly.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
andret
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

I have posted this on other threads, but I will say it again. i think the X1 23d is not engineered to the refinement level expected from BMW. The engine is too noisy and there is too much vibration in the cabin from the engine. I was expecting better from BMW. Other BMW's such as 320d and X5 35d are much more refined.

2011 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
geotah
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Hi all
I would like to mention that my xdrive20d cruise control was indeed a litle bit nervous when i set 10 km/h increment from the cruise control stick. The car accelerated a bit sudden (strong acceleration).
But after updating the car's software, among other improvements, the cruise control automation is much more gentle.
Go for update!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andret View Post
I have posted this on other threads, but I will say it again. i think the X1 23d is not engineered to the refinement level expected from BMW. The engine is too noisy and there is too much vibration in the cabin from the engine. I was expecting better from BMW. Other BMW's such as 320d and X5 35d are much more refined.
OK, and I will say it again as well. The X1 is not a X5 but then its pretty much half the price. Compare it with others in its class, eg Land Rover Freelander, Volkswagen Tiguan, Toyota RAV, Volvo XC60, etc etc and it stands head and shoulders above them in my opinion. I have driven them all in my search for a good all round cossover in the £30k range and the X1 fits the bill perfectly. Only one that really compares in the market here is the Q5 and I did not like it for a whole host of reasons. Chief among which was the uncomfortable ride/driver offset angle (The pedals don't line up with the driver seat).

Again its just my opinion but I also cannot even begin to see how one can compare it to a 320d. The 3 is a sedan or an estate that will get stuck way before the XDrive X1. Yes, if you are looking for a highway cruiser exclusively the 320d is a better bet, and yes it is more refined. Venture slightly off track and the X1 shows its mettle with a better clearance (good for snow/farm tracks), 4x4 ability (no 3-series 4x4 in the UK), better suspension travel, better load lugging and better underbody protection. Oh, and I have mentioned it elsewhere as well....the X1 is 15% cheaper, like for like.

Don't mean to offend but you gotta compare apples with apples.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

My contribution to the annoying defects:
- put the armrest in its foremost position (the only one in which it really serves as armrest) and pull the hand brake: it bounces against the armrest and pushes it back;
- the "boot open" warning triggers only AFTER you start driving, obliging you to stop to re-check the boot door; also, impossible to tell when closing the boot whether it is deemed closed properly or not;
- gps (for europe) in some cities, notably brussels, respects some absurd administrative boundaries rather than the real territorial ones, e.g. try looking in Brussels for avenue paul hymans and you don't find it; now check in google, it's one of the biggest streets in the city;
- the control of the tracks when playing a cd (previous - next track) is really sub-optimal.

This said, I'm very happy with the car, and I also tried a lot of others (forrester, mercedes B, tiguan, ect.) before buying it. Now of course, you can't expect it to have the level of refinement of an x5!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
nicholls
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

with regard to the car getting too hot, colour both inside and outside plus sun roof raise inside temp notiably i am in australia white no roof perfect
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #9
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
OK, and I will say it again as well. The X1 is not a X5 but then its pretty much half the price. Compare it with others in its class, eg Land Rover Freelander, Volkswagen Tiguan, Toyota RAV, Volvo XC60, etc etc and it stands head and shoulders above them in my opinion. I have driven them all in my search for a good all round cossover in the £30k range and the X1 fits the bill perfectly. Only one that really compares in the market here is the Q5 and I did not like it for a whole host of reasons. Chief among which was the uncomfortable ride/driver offset angle (The pedals don't line up with the driver seat).

Again its just my opinion but I also cannot even begin to see how one can compare it to a 320d. The 3 is a sedan or an estate that will get stuck way before the XDrive X1. Yes, if you are looking for a highway cruiser exclusively the 320d is a better bet, and yes it is more refined. Venture slightly off track and the X1 shows its mettle with a better clearance (good for snow/farm tracks), 4x4 ability (no 3-series 4x4 in the UK), better suspension travel, better load lugging and better underbody protection. Oh, and I have mentioned it elsewhere as well....the X1 is 15% cheaper, like for like.

Don't mean to offend but you gotta compare apples with apples.
Could not agree more.
Besides, the X1 is NOT an SUV such as the X3/X5. The line of comparison (the apples) are more in the likes of Audi Allroad or Volvo XC70. ie 4WD Wagons, or even Crossovers.

10 months on my SDrive 20d, only a minor problem with the sliding roof seal that would not stay in its rail. My BMW dealer just glued it and its fine.
      12-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
matthewuk
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive20d

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan35 View Post
- the "boot open" warning triggers only AFTER you start driving, obliging you to stop to re-check the boot door; also, impossible to tell when closing the boot whether it is deemed closed properly or not;
+1, very annoying
I've had this a few times and am wondering if I have a slightly faulty catch (or am just no good at closing the boot!)

Quote:
This said, I'm very happy with the car, and I also tried a lot of others (forrester, mercedes B, tiguan, ect.) before buying it. Now of course, you can't expect it to have the level of refinement of an x5!
+1

I've also had a couple of times the rear passenger side window opens a little bit. Not sure I am touching the control when I get out BUT I am sure it did it earlier after I had pressed the Stop button and about the same time I was removing the key. Will keep an eye on this...

Other minor annoyance is the washer fill is a sort of U-bend which basically means you cannot 'top up' with very low temp screen wash when it is full or nearly full. A real pain when it freezes!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

[QUOTE=matthewuk;8525554

Other minor annoyance is the washer fill is a sort of U-bend which basically means you cannot 'top up' with very low temp screen wash when it is full or nearly full. A real pain when it freezes![/QUOTE]

Matthew, I put a 50:50 mix in this time of year. Never freezes, even at -15c.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
matthewuk
Rep

Quote:
Matthew, I put a 50:50 mix in this time of year. Never freezes, even at -15c.
I do now!!

Not sure if it would have handled the -20 on the road to Abingdon last week though....
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewuk View Post
I do now!!

Not sure if it would have handled the -20 on the road to Abingdon last week though....
Holy crap, -20C ! Not seen that on my car yet. I would use it neat then
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
nathan35
Private
Rep

Quote:
+1, very annoying
I've also had a couple of times the rear passenger side window opens a little bit. Not sure I am touching the control when I get out BUT I am sure it did it earlier after I had pressed the Stop button and about the same time I was removing the key. Will keep an eye on this...
Happened to me two times that I found one of the windows (once the front passanger, once the rear left) open the next morning. I came to the conclusion that I inadvertently pressed the button when opening the door, but now I hear your story I'll also keep an eye on it.

Another very annoying thing I discovered recently is the fixation of the floor mats: the front passanger's one is not fixed at all, while the driver's one is fixed with some kind of cheap velcro that got worn after a few months, and the mat slips under the pedals pretty regularly. I cannot understand how bmw could've opted for such a bad solution. To compare, my previous opel astra had a plastic latch which hold great for the 5 years/100000km I had the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #15
matthewuk
Rep

Quote:
Happened to me two times that I found one of the windows (once the front passanger, once the rear left) open the next morning. I came to the conclusion that I inadvertently pressed the button when opening the door, but now I hear your story I'll also keep an eye on it.

the first time was just a tiny bit. I thought there was a bit of extra noise in the cabin and it was the first week I owned the car so I was bit disappointed. I was delighted when I realised a window was down just a little (<1cm?)but am now a bit wary as I think it happened again soon after and then today was fairly sure I didn't do anything to make it happen. Must confess I now have OCD in pulling up both sets of window switches while I am driving!!

post back if you see it yourself again.....

edited to add.....
All 3 times for me (assuming it is a real thing and not just clumsy fingers which is just as likely with me) have been on the passenger side......
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #16
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

Another very annoying thing I discovered recently is the fixation of the floor mats: the front passanger's one is not fixed at all, while the driver's one is fixed with some kind of cheap velcro that got worn after a few months, and the mat slips under the pedals pretty regularly. I cannot understand how bmw could've opted for such a bad solution. To compare, my previous opel astra had a plastic latch which hold great for the 5 years/100000km I had the car.
I agree, also a real problem on my Mini. At the moment I have a cheap set of rubber mats in my X1. They have these spikey bits on the bottom that grip the carpet and don't move at all. Cost me £15 at Tesco but really protect my interior from the mud/snow/water. For the Mini I got some carpets made by a company in the USA called CoCoMats. They are insanely expensive (don't even ask me how much ) but handmade and worth every penny. I dont like recommending products in forums but this is one exception, probably the best carpets I have seen anywhere and trust me they won't budge. Need to get a set for the X1 still. Just google the name and you will find them, site does not look like much but they are very helpful when you speak to them.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #17
nathan35
Private
Rep

Quote:
For the Mini I got some carpets made by a company in the USA called CoCoMats. They are insanely expensive (don't even ask me how much ) but handmade and worth every penny. I dont like recommending products in forums but this is one exception, probably the best carpets I have seen anywhere and trust me they won't budge. Need to get a set for the X1 still. Just google the name and you will find them, site does not look like much but they are very helpful when you speak to them.
Thanx a lot for the info! Checked on internet, indeed looks interesting... and expensive But then, do they provide you with some kind of fixation to the floor? How do you make sure they don't move, and still you can remove them once in a while for cleaning?

I kind of fail to understand that bmw takes the thing so lightheartedly, it something that directly affects security . Last year there was a big fuss because toyota's floor mats were going lose, and there's even an info about it on their page:
http://www.toyota.com/recall/floormat.html
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Thanx a lot for the info! Checked on internet, indeed looks interesting... and expensive But then, do they provide you with some kind of fixation to the floor? How do you make sure they don't move, and still you can remove them once in a while for cleaning?

I kind of fail to understand that bmw takes the thing so lightheartedly, it something that directly affects security . Last year there was a big fuss because toyota's floor mats were going lose, and there's even an info about it on their page:
http://www.toyota.com/recall/floormat.html
Nope, not fixed but trust me they dont move! They are extremely heavy, about 2cm thick and have rubber spikes on the bottom that just grip the built in carpet. You can take them out and vacuum/wash them but I find that they just dont get dirty. I generally just give them a good shake out and trust me my cars are very very clean, I don't even let BMW valet them when they go in for a service in case they mess them up.

If you think the X1's carpets are bad you must see the Mini's. Even worse. I threw them in the bin after 2 months and just as dangerous as you mention. Missed the brake a few times due to them riding up. Thats why they are in the bin!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #19
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

These "defects" sound more like quirks rather than flaws in the manufacturing process...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #20
terryd
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

Quote:
the first time was just a tiny bit. I thought there was a bit of extra noise in the cabin and it was the first week I owned the car so I was bit disappointed. I was delighted when I realised a window was down just a little (<1cm?)but am now a bit wary as I think it happened again soon after and then today was fairly sure I didn't do anything to make it happen. Must confess I now have OCD in pulling up both sets of window switches while I am driving!!

post back if you see it yourself again.....

edited to add.....
All 3 times for me (assuming it is a real thing and not just clumsy fingers which is just as likely with me) have been on the passenger side......
This is happening to me too... The first time was on the day I received it, the near-side rear windows went down about 10cm!!! I heard the sound of it going down as I walked away, but thought maybe the Mrs left her window open a little and the car had just closed it automatically!
Since then it's happened 2 or 3 more times, always the near-side rear window, but normally no more than 1cm.. (Nice to find snow in the back one day!)

I've since taken it to the dealer, and they have disabled the window function from the remote, but it still had gone down a tiny bit the other day, so I'm sure we're not all accidentally pressing the remote (Plus, I tried this before it was disabled, and it took a while, and all windows went at once, not just the rear).

I'm going to take it back to BMW again soon, but I'm waiting for it to do it once more to be sure, but it only seems to be about once a month at the moment, so could have a wait!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #21
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
This is happening to me too... The first time was on the day I received it, the near-side rear windows went down about 10cm!!! I heard the sound of it going down as I walked away, but thought maybe the Mrs left her window open a little and the car had just closed it automatically!
Since then it's happened 2 or 3 more times, always the near-side rear window, but normally no more than 1cm.. (Nice to find snow in the back one day!)

I've since taken it to the dealer, and they have disabled the window function from the remote, but it still had gone down a tiny bit the other day, so I'm sure we're not all accidentally pressing the remote (Plus, I tried this before it was disabled, and it took a while, and all windows went at once, not just the rear).

I'm going to take it back to BMW again soon, but I'm waiting for it to do it once more to be sure, but it only seems to be about once a month at the moment, so could have a wait!
Hi Terryd, I had a similar problem a few years ago with a VW Golf. Turned out to be the anti-trap settings on the windows that were not configured correctly. Took quite some convincing at the dealer before they believed me that I had not mistakenly pushed the button on the remote. I insisted they call their HQ where it turned out to be a known flaw. Any which way you must take the car back to BMW and tell them to fix it. It's their problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #22
nathan35
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
they have disabled the window function from the remote
didn't know there was such a function. Is it an option or standard?
Appreciate 0