01-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #23
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
- xDrive25i and xDrive28i / M-Sport packet.
25i?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:05 AM   #24
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Yes first launch with Twin Power Turbo 2.8i and then when the 1er Sporthatch comes along bringing additional new engines. 1er will be all four cylinders. As will X1 which will receive the 2.5i Twin power Turbo once the 1er is launched.

The move leads to the demise of the BMW NA Six Cylinder engine in place of more powerful and more efficient Turbo-charged four cylinders.
      01-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #25
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Yes first launch with Twin Power Turbo 2.8i and then when the 1er Sporthatch comes along bringing additional new engines. 1er will be all four cylinders. As will X1 which will receive the 2.5i Twin power Turbo once the 1er is launched.

The move leads to the demise of the BMW NA Six Cylinder engine in place of more powerful and more efficient Turbo-charged four cylinders.
I'm a little confused by the above. Please be clearer on what series gets what engines and when. I haven't been following the production plans of the 1 series, but I didn't think that there was a new 1 series nor was the hatchback coming to NA in the next few months.

Is Canada getting the 2.5i Twin Power Turbo at launch as well as the 2.8i Twin Power Turbo? Because I thought the launch here was around March 2011.

Thanks.

Last edited by DUH CAR; 01-19-2011 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
I'm a little confused by the above. Please be clearer on what series gets what engines and when. I haven't been following the production plans of the 1 series, but I didn't think that there was a new 1 series nor was the hatchback coming to NA.

Thanks.
What he is saying is that the X1 will debut with the new turbo 4 in the higher output "2.8i" guise which is rumored to be around 240-250hp. This should most probably be in September. Then, once the F20 1 series hatchback launches (in Europe - no North American sales are planned, at least not yet) and introduces the lower output "2.5i" turbo 4, that motor too will be added to the X1 lineup as well. Now granted the timetable I'd seen for the F20 is a late 2011 launch so this should follow the US X1 launch very closely.

Remember, BMW is preparing to introduce not one but actually two new turbocharged 4 cylinder engine families. I have seen these referred to as N13 and N20 though I don't know if those names are correct/official. At any rate, it could very well be that the 2.8i is the N20 and the 2.5i is the N13. This would explain the staggered launch, in that these two could very well be different engines altogether. However, this is just my speculation. Perhaps SCOTT can comment, or we'll just have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
What is your source for this info?

I've been reading that the first X1 for the US market will have the 3.0L tuned to 260 HP as in the current X3, with possible engine options to follow.

IMHO, I hope you are dead wrong. If a turbo is the only engine offered, I will definitely not consider this vehicle. Say "HPFP" to any early 335i purchaser and you better get ready to run.
Now official.

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477885

Although this is for Europe, it is a forgone conclusion that when the X1 comes hear later this year the N52 I6 will not be a part of the lineup.
Appreciate 0