XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #23
Curvo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota sr5v6

The only reason I would consider servotronic in the xdrive28i is if it made a considerable
difference in negotiating parking lots compared to the hydraulic. I have test driven the
straight hydraulic and really loved the connection I felt with the road but didn't get a chance to really test it much in parking lots. I don't mind having to use a little extra
effort but am interested to know other's experiences between the two while in tight
city traffic and parking? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

The thick, cushy M Sport steering makes navigating parking lots a breeze without servotronic. I feel like the skinnier steering wheels require a bit more effort. Our X1 M Sport is easier to navigate than our 128i w/sport wheel. I'm considering retrofitting our 128i with the M3 or M Sport wheel.
      02-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

An entire thread dedicated to the joy of hydraulic steering. How disappointing is it that we have one of the last BMW's available without EPS? And honestly ... the only reason we can still get hydraulic is because the electric rack simply wouldn't fit in AWD X1's. Sad. And for what? Maybe one mpg? Maybe shameful is a better word.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #26
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
An entire thread dedicated to the joy of hydraulic steering. How disappointing is it that we have one of the last BMW's available without EPS? And honestly ... the only reason we can still get hydraulic is because the electric rack simply wouldn't fit in AWD X1's. Sad. And for what? Maybe one mpg? Maybe shameful is a better word.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #27
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
Get used to it. With rising CAFE and CO2 standards, things like EPS, ASS and any other method car companies can find to eek every drop of efficiency out will be standard going forward. The good news is that EPS will get better with time. Folks complained about the lack of feel with hydraulic steering for decades. I've owned a few cars with no assist and still prefer that, but it's not really practical on most modern, heavy cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #28
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

Amen to that, one can indeed only hope electric steering assist will soon match hydrolic for feel because its definitely a thing of the past now... But do have trust in the engineers, I am sure they know what they still haven't matched the feel and they are still working on improving the technology. Look at turbo engines, they used to have a lot of lag but now look at the N20 engine and I defy anyone to tell its a turbo engine (unless you roll down the windows and listen as you drive close to a wall). Honestly it's the first engine I have ever driven where there is really no noticeable turbo lag.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #29
nospam
Captain
Rep

I have a 2013 328i loaner right now with base steering. I posted previously that my parents' 2012 328i variable sport steering was more than competent, just slightly lacking in feedback compared to hydraulic assist. I have to say that the base electric steering is pretty bad on the COMFORT setting, but it tightens up nicely on SPORT. BMW moving to electric steering is not the end of the world IMHO.

I am very interested in driving an sDrive with servotronic option. Just haven't been able to find one anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #30
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I wish I could be so confident in the future of EPS. We were also told runflats would eventually match their conventional counterparts in comfort and performance, with only a marginal price penalty. How long ago was that?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #31
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW
I wish I could be so confident in the future of EPS. We were also told runflats would eventually match their conventional counterparts in comfort and performance, with only a marginal price penalty. How long ago was that?
A while, but good RFTs aren't bad now. I'd be hard pressed to tell a PS2 from its RFT cousin. I'm still not sold on RFTs, but I do like the weight and cost savings of no donut, jack or lug wrench.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #32
jrstech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550

sDrive with HYDRO?

I just checked the vin decoder on my inbound sDrive which I ordered with servotronic option, it is listed on the production sheet as:
S216A SERVOTRONIC HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC.
Not sure what the "HYDRO" represents in the description as I was under the impression all sDrives were equipped with EPS.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #33
nospam
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstech View Post
I just checked the vin decoder on my inbound sDrive which I ordered with servotronic option, it is listed on the production sheet as:
S216A SERVOTRONIC HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC.
Not sure what the "HYDRO" represents in the description as I was under the impression all sDrives were equipped with EPS.
Those decoders don't always make 100% sense. I believe the servotronic code is the same whether it is sDrive or xDrive. You'll be getting EPS with servotronic speed sensitive programming. Let us know how you like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #34
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
A while, but good RFTs aren't bad now. I'd be hard pressed to tell a PS2 from its RFT cousin. I'm still not sold on RFTs, but I do like the weight and cost savings of no donut, jack or lug wrench.
RFT was what vehicles had back when Mr. Dunlop figured out that more sidewall and air would be a good thing for both the vehicle and its riders. Now we're back to wheels with a thin layer of rubber again.
Suicide doors have made a comeback too - thankfully not on BMWs yet.

Next year's models: The seat heater becomes a pan of coal.
Appreciate 0