XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
trek8000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Alpine White

My 2013 X1 35i Bumped by a Toyota Prius!

I was on my way to work last Tuesday in my 2013 X1 35i (Alpine White) with only 2,600 miles. I was about 2 cars behind the traffic light which was still RED and all of a sudden SLAM .... I get bumped pretty hard by a 2012 Toyota Prius! Luckily the police were right there assisting drivers in another accident that happened moments earlier. The part that upset me the most was that the young man that hit me made no apologies whatsoever even when I reminded him that my car was only 4 months old. All he could say was "I guess that's why we have Insurance". Per his insurance carrier he admitted fault and there was no dispute. Damage was all contained to the bumper and the parts behind it including the metal bar behind the bumper cover. Luckily no damage done to the exhaust, metal panels or the hatchback. The damage total came to 2,094.00. You cannot tell there was that much damage by the picture. You can however see how dirty my car is ... but it is winter here in Chicago! I am bringing the car to an authorized BMW repair center tomorrow. Luckily no one was hurt and the damage minimal. I guess it could have been a lot worse. Thanks for listening.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Fell your pain brother, nice new car and some idot not paying attention. There should be more to hold people who drive without due care and attention to account....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
yea bring it to the your bmw dealer, hopefully they would give a bigger quote or over charge that u currently have and let that bastard pay !!!

ohh be sure to check underneath your hidden storage under the trunk for damages.

Good Luck
      02-20-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

sucky dude,
especially with your brand new car.
Hopefully they'll fix it up, like brand new!
      02-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Sorry to see it happen, much less to a new vehicle. On a positive note no real injuries, and at least he didn't hit you going another 10+ mph or there would be a lot more bent metal on your baby.

Oh yeah Prius's are evil anyway

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS
Sorry to see it happen, much less to a new vehicle. On a positive note no real injuries, and at least he didn't hit you going another 10+ mph or there would be a lot more bent metal on your baby.

Oh yeah Prius's are evil anyway
I do agree with you that Prius are evol in many ways!
      02-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

The refusal of the other driver to man-up can be more frustrating than the accident itself. A few months ago a woman rear-ended me at a stoplight; no damage but I felt the jolt. I checked to make sure she was okay and the first thing she said to me - in an annoyed tone - was: "The road is really wet today."

Not once did she apologize or seem to think it was much of a big deal. If I ever caused an accident I'd feel like such an idiot and probably not sleep that night due to the embarrassment. It's amazing how inconsiderate people can be.
      02-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Wow...sorry to hear and glad noone is hurt. Seems like a perfect time to order and have installed an Execuhitch. GL with the repairs
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
two-five boy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

Have ur claims been submitted yet? Does ur back/neck any other body parts hurt? Make that idiot pay for his inattentiveness and arrogance!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
xyz100
Private
Rep
Drives: Challenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
Have ur claims been submitted yet? Does ur back/neck any other body parts hurt? Make that idiot pay for his inattentiveness and arrogance!
So you are essentially suggesting to file a fraudulent claim. Just to make him pay. That's nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

Glad to read you're ok and damage was minor. RE the guy not apologizing...keep in mind that most folk are taught not to acknowledge blame, hence reluctance to apologize. Apologies=guilt. Best thing to do post-accident is take care of injuries, help out where possible, conduct ones-self in a business like manner, and exchange info.

I'm speaking from experience. I was at fault once, didn't admit guilt, but apologized because that was the proper and civil thing to do and then was challenged about my apology. Learned my lesson - keep my mouth shut.

May not be what you want to hear, but that's life.

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
I'm speaking from experience. I was at fault once, didn't admit guilt, but apologized because that was the proper and civil thing to do and then was challenged about my apology. Learned my lesson - keep my mouth shut.
Vince.
+1, it's pretty sad that being nice can legally open yourself up to being taken advantage of. I've had to come to grips too that this situation is why we have insurance. My last car was rear ended by a 12 seat ford van going 30+mph just 22 hours after I bought it. About 20 days later and $12k in repairs I got it back and now after 11 years and 120k miles it's not had a single problem with anything and it will probably go another 5 years or more.

The kids insurance will get him, $1k deductable and $2k in higher insurance for the next 5 years, points on license. Also if he's young the accident will probably stick with him for many years to come.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
icemilkcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon to be x1

If I were you I would ask the body shop to paint the lower piece white while they got the spray gun out. It always bothers me a bit to see 3 distinct colors on these X1's.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
trek8000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Alpine White

I put my X1 into the BMW authorized body shop last Wed. Since the car is so new they assured me that all of the parts replaced will be new. I told them to take their time and do the job right. The other party admitted fault in the accident so everything is moving along without a hitch. The other party's Ins Co is also paying for a loaner, they gave me a 2013 Kia Optima. I must admit that it is not too bad of a car for the price once you get used to it. My complaints: The brakes and steering are not nearly as tight as the BMW. The engine as zippy but it is has an annoying buzz about it. The seats do not have the support of a BMW. I miss my BMW!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Wow, BMW to Kia. Kia though has come quite a ways from 10 years ago... Sounds like you have a good shop, I bet everything will work out nice for you. Your car just has some character now.
Appreciate 0