XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
DrRockSalt
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

AC windshield film

Recently I've been getting a horribly obnoxious film building up on the windshield when I run the AC. It accumulates over a week or so before I can't stand it. Usually needs more than just cloth to get it off.

I've run the AC quite consistently over the last year, so it's not that I just started using it or anything. From previous experience with cars, this usually indicates a coolant or heater core problem, which I'm not looking forward to.

Anybody else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #2
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

I found that using a glass microfibre cloth and window cleaner got the glass really clean and virtually stopped this film. Prior to that, there would be some film left and it would build up quickly.

Also I think restricted use of conditioner type sprays on the dash also helps, I use autoglym protectant and have no issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
DrRockSalt
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Microfiber cloth and good quality cleaner are currently my solution. One alarming thing I failed to mention is that on some days turning on the air conditioner will cause a lot of fog / condensation to form on the windshield that will disappear over a few minutes time.

I'm okay just cleaning the windshield, but I'd rather not have a heater core be going out and dump coolant everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

It's not the heater core, it's all of the plastic on the dash and climate control off gassing. BMW's are bad about it, the old 1 series was named one of the worst cars for it by a study and the X1 seems just as bad.

The fog you're seeing is just because the glass is warmer than the air conditioning and causes a brief condensation. Nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Beondwacko
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M sport

Both my wife's 14' X1 & her older 11' Z4 have done this. The Z4 was far worse than the X1 has been leaving this fog on the interior of the windshield.

I use "invisible glass" and good old fashioned news paper to clean the glass. Better than even a microfiber IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beondwacko View Post
I use "invisible glass" and good old fashioned news paper to clean the glass. Better than even a microfiber IMHO.
Another vote for newspaper. Used it for years til I got fed up with the liberal slant and dumped that rag. Now I use MF towels or the occasional WSJ.
Appreciate 0