Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Are our cars capable of being hacked?

After seeing the demonstration of the Jeep being hacked remotely, I started wondering if there were any safeguards in the BMW systems to prevent this? Of course, our cars have multiple computers and Systems, any any computer can be hacked if the hacker is capable of writing the correct code. Anyone with knowledge of our computer systems have an opinion?
      07-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 11:58 PM   #3
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
That happens if you do not isolate control systems from the entertainment network.
The only possible access in our cars is what the remote app or BMW assist can access.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 12:13 AM   #4
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
That happens if you do not isolate control systems from the entertainment network.
The only possible access in our cars is what the remote app or BMW assist can access.
Don't be so quick jumping to conclusions. The "unlock door" command is sent over the canbus, which means the remote interface has access to the bus and everything it can do. There may not be any front-end for sending other commands, but that doesn't stop a hacker who has gained access, and who will gladly do it low-level, providing his own command interface if he gains access.

Unfortunately, most embedded systems are built on the turtle principle - hard on the outside, soft on the inside. Once you get past the shell, there's little that stops you. I have no reason to believe BMW is so different from others in this respect.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 12:55 AM   #5
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
I agree that your extreme scenario is certainly possible, but if you meet a hacker at that level we might get our first non piggyback tune 😀
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 06:15 AM   #6
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Most car makers are behind when it comes to securing the network of communications in auto systems. Simple reason, up until the last few years they haven't provided the access to the main bus. But with more and more remote connections allowed to the car via wireless, and some of those accessing vital functions, they've opened up the potential for someone with a will and a way to start seeing how much access they can control remotely. It costs extra in engineering and tech inside the car to help prevent it and if the car makers don't have to spend the extra in costs for the vehicle they simply won't.

The same kind of problem exists in industry. Most companies do not spend the resources necessary to properly secure their company networks and keep them secure with a trained staff, because it's not cheap to do so. So as we see they continue to be "hacked" and their networks penetrated and then we see the scramble to spend a buttload of money after the fact both in discovering what happened and trying to prevent future repeat compromises.

With that said, it's also Chrysler. Remember the 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it not being able to pass the Moose Test ? Chrysler swore up and down there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and it was the testers incorrect methods that were causing the failures. Yet magically the 2014 version does now pass the test. (cough)

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0