XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Checked out the 28i X-Drive today

Did not have time to test drive, as I was on my lunch break, but I figure it rides similar to my e90. Also, test drove an F30 a couple months ago, so the engine and transmission are the same.

Initial impressions: When I pulled onto the lot, it immediately caught my attention. It sits higher than a 3 series, but lower than an X3. A nice medium ground IMO. The styling is far from aggresive, but the lines on the car are very nice. The classic BMW lines make it look somewhat sporty considering it is a relatively plain hatchback. I like the grille, headlights, tailights and exhaust.

Size: It is smaller in real life than the online pictures would suggest. You could mistake this for a hot hatch from many different angles. I know BMW calls it a SAV, or a crossover, but this is far from an SUV! Those looking for more room must opt for the X3.

Interior: Materials feel nice, about on par with the interior materials in my e90. Good fit and finish for a 1 series. I especially enjoyed the wood inlays which had an awesome texture. Overall, far cry from an A4 interior. Without the NAV, the center dashboard cubby is kind of cheesy. Sat in the back seat, I am 5'8" and there was ample room for my knees head and shoulders, although back seat occupants over 6' would not be comfortable on long rides. It felt like there was less room in the front seats compared to my e90 which was dissapointing. And that front passenger side cupholder??? Forget about it! My left leg kept banging into it. I was surprised at the cargo room for such a small vehicle. Decent space with back seats up. Lots of room with backseats down.

Price: Considering a base vehicle can be had for low $30's and a nicely equippied model can be had for well under $40K, I think the pricing is very attractive and will appeal to many. Between the new transmission, engine, reasonable MPG, utility and fun factor of this car, I think it presents an exellent value.

Parting thoughts: I diddnt want to leave the lot! Wish I could have stayed longer to investigate. I'll be back for a test drive. If my wife gets a Highlander or the sort, I will definately be taking a closer look at the X1.

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Good thoughts, thanks for sharing. How is the rear visibility?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep

^ Sorry, did not get a chance to look

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

I test drove a 2012 X1 in July. Loved it! (xdrive 28i)
The seat belt mount is perfect for a guy around 6' tall, and its easy to grab.
Not like some/few other asian cars where you have to crank your neck just to grab the seat belt.
I don't quite remember the blind spot viewing per se, but I don't recall it being "blind".
It was a 2012 with about 11,000 KM's on it, and I noticed a slight rattle in the back muffler section. Probably was just related to that particular car, but would be interested if others test driving X1's notice it too.

Seems there should be more posts on the driving experience of X1's since its been in Europe/Canada and other parts of the world for a few years, I'll have to search a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
MillerMav
Patiently waiting until the spring
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

I checked one of these out this past Friday and am definitely a fan. I had saw commercials for them but didnt pay any attention really. My wife has an X5d so the need for another big vehicle or truck is low. What I do need is AWD, which in a small"er" hatch is hard to come buy unless you want the lack of fit and finish offered by Suzuki or something.

It is definitely on my radar now and I will be going in for a test drive sooner than later. It was a 28i black on black with nav. I am really hoping they bring the diesel to the US market cause then I would be sold!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Teleskier
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 20mpg, '01 VW TDI 55mpg

I felt the rear visibility was fine... better than the new Jetta... but it seems every new car nowadays has reduced rearward visibility due to the 'new' design/looks. X1 was OK to good.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavE92 View Post
I checked one of these out this past Friday and am definitely a fan. I had saw commercials for them but didnt pay any attention really. My wife has an X5d so the need for another big vehicle or truck is low. What I do need is AWD, which in a small"er" hatch is hard to come buy unless you want the lack of fit and finish offered by Suzuki or something.

It is definitely on my radar now and I will be going in for a test drive sooner than later. It was a 28i black on black with nav. I am really hoping they bring the diesel to the US market cause then I would be sold!
Thats it! Thats brilliant! My wife will get the Highlander, and I will get the X1 when my lease is up

Appreciate 0