XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #23
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

It's really easy to get close to 300 HP from the E888 (I think) 4 cylinder in the Audi, and a GTI is the same basic car, with FWD, for thousands less. Hell, you could probably get a R for a like-equipped Audi 3
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #24
YYCADM
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

I'm one of those "old guys", but my car is bronze, I've got the chrome package, lots of other options as well, and I get compliments on how nice the car is almost daily, followed by surprise when I'm asked about price.

I'm in a large city in western Canada (pick-ups rule here), and although I've never had a negative comment about the car, there isn't a ton of them around, either. Mores the shame; i think its a more interesting car visually than the 3 series
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:12 PM   #25
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabun View Post
I'm young (ish) and the gf and I recently moved from a WRX to an X1 35i M Sport. Take a look at our criteria - it seems like we weren't really spoilt for choice because the American market is flooded with good options for bulky, sluggish baby carriers (even if it's the AMGs and Ms, that size is ridiculous for city life) while the hatchbacks and wagons get no love at all.

- AWD
- Engine with balls
- Luxurious, auto transmission
- Wagon, Hatchback or Compact SUV
- No Toyota or Honda. Ever. Even if it's Acura or Lexus (This was more of a personal prejudice than rationality, but it stays)

We saw the Golf R, but holy wow $40k for a golf? Nope. We saw the Q3 - 200hp is an insult, really. Bimmer wagons were overpriced IMO and I wish we could afford the CLA AMG. What's left? Outback wasn't exactly an upgrade.

Not sure if I answered your question or laid out my rationale for getting an X1 instead!
Either way, I agree with you. Not much love for compact SUVs from manufacturers, and maybe therefore they aren't as popular?
Owned 4 WRXs...good to see some Suby guys on here.

I don't get the Golf R hate though. What does it base at, $36k? It now offers every bit of the performance of the STI, along with a MUCH better interior, etc. The old Golf R was the compromise. STI price, WRX performance. You paid for the interior and overall refinement at the expense of performance. Now, it's all even. What other cars offer that kind of performance and build for the money?

I'm sorry, but in today's market, the Golf R is a good buy. Hell, it's M235i performance, in an AWD hatch, for FAR less money.

I'm no VW fan either...but I just don't get the hate. $36k for an Impreza with a 20 year old engine and a shitbox interior is OK, but not for a Golf?

The window sticker on our X1 was $50k (bought CPO). How is that not offensively expensive vs. a Golf R, which costs over $10k less, is a similar size, similar interior, and will run circles around the X1?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #26
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Agreed, Subie have stood still for 15 years and X1 is way over priced.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #27
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
I am still baffled that 2 companies that make the most ugly and generic transport came up with the BRZ😀
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #28
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Owned 4 WRXs...good to see some Suby guys on here.

I don't get the Golf R hate though. What does it base at, $36k? It now offers every bit of the performance of the STI, along with a MUCH better interior, etc. The old Golf R was the compromise. STI price, WRX performance. You paid for the interior and overall refinement at the expense of performance. Now, it's all even. What other cars offer that kind of performance and build for the money?

I'm sorry, but in today's market, the Golf R is a good buy. Hell, it's M235i performance, in an AWD hatch, for FAR less money.

I'm no VW fan either...but I just don't get the hate. $36k for an Impreza with a 20 year old engine and a shitbox interior is OK, but not for a Golf?

The window sticker on our X1 was $50k (bought CPO). How is that not offensively expensive vs. a Golf R, which costs over $10k less, is a similar size, similar interior, and will run circles around the X1?
Agree with you. No hate here, but it's just difficult to justify at least from my perspective. The Golf R is definitely more refined than the WRX and right up there in the S3 league (same car, I think), but to pay THAT much of a premium for a smaller car just didn't make sense. Also, most dealers I asked were way too snobby because of the demand and the MY2016 (Mexico made, new infotainment system) is still a mystery. Also, the gf is German and her face when she heard $40k Golf was just

I'm just glad I got my hands on an N55 powered SAV that is out of production now. Hopefully that's some redemption from the ridiculous depreciation that German cars have in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 10:52 PM   #29
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

I'm one of those old guys, too (63).

I was about to get my wife a woman's car.

I was looking at Volvo XC60, and noticed the X1 was higher rated , and cost less.

She immediately bit, saying she wanted to be a Bimmer girl.

Apparently anytime she had brought up BMW, I nixed it because I was on to Mazda or other low maintenance Japanese cars.

I'd talked up how costly BMW was for service, and deqaler, etc.

Anyway, we got a strippo X1 s28i with only M Sport and Mineral white paint.

She had no preferences as she had no idea about things like the Xenon lighting, etc.

Wow, this is the best car I've ever known, and she always looks for other BMW's, but mostly finds X3's and X5's.

The dealers in Texas won't budge on MSRP, but we got ours in Munich on Euro delivery for 7% off, so I don't feel it was expensive.

The gas mileage is extremely good for the power it puts down, it's smooth as glass, and it runs like a scalded cat.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:28 AM   #30
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550xi

That's because the X1 says to everyone: "I'm not rich enough to get a X5"

Seriously, I'm sure Switzerland is a very different market compared to USA, but there's a lot of X1 here. And although we have many more BMW models available here, the X1 is really a big hit. My seller told me it sells like hell, most of them being diesel, white, black or grey. No orange around here, and so far I saw only 3 midnight blue, including mine
      05-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #31
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTY View Post
That's because the X1 says to everyone: "I'm not rich enough to get a X5"

Seriously, I'm sure Switzerland is a very different market compared to USA, but there's a lot of X1 here. And although we have many more BMW models available here, the X1 is really a big hit. My seller told me it sells like hell, most of them being diesel, white, black or grey. No orange around here, and so far I saw only 3 midnight blue, including mine
There's alot of truth in what you say. Here, in the wide open inland NW, you see so many BIG suvs and crewcab pickups that a X1 looks more like a short Forrester in traffic. We pay so much less for fuel than Europe, like always, that we're disinclined to change our consumptive ways. Not really sorry about that, just the way it is. God bless fracking!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #32
zoul
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

In the US we like out big cars, our big gas guzzling cars.

He had the gas crisis and everything when smaller, but as soon as it became palatable again, the size of the cars grew. If you look at every model out here that started small, they all have bloated over the years. Take a look at the Honda Civic as an example. It started out as a small car, and now it's bigger than the original Honda Accord was.

When talking a salesperson that I know at the BMW dealer in Rockville when I was looking for an X1, she said that her main buyers of the X1 were foreign embassy employees because it was the same small car that they can get back home.

I like smaller cars. I had a 2004 325xi Wagon that I loved, then I moved to a 2008 325xi wagon, and i just didn't like it as much because it bloated in size.

I now have my X1 and I love it and I love the smaller size, but I know that is not a favored view here in the US. The view seems to be that if it's small (excluding sports cars), it needs to be cheap.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #33
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

But the name plate just grows with the customer and the manufacturer inserts a new nameplate under the previous compact one. It's very sensible.

So your 1 series is about as big as 20 year old 3 series, your Civic has effectively been replaced by a FIT etc etc.

Mind you, I was shuttled in a new 5 series last week, staggered by how small it is. I dunno why but it looked smaller inside than my brother in laws 8 year old 5 series. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #34
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

The F30 3er is bigger than the E39 5er, the F10 5er is the size of the E32 7er but actually has more interior space than the E38.

I continue to want an E36 or E46 sized rwd sedan with a manual and LSD, I don't really care who builds it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #35
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Cadillac.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #36
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Cadillac.
ATS V-Sport. Nice little car. Too bad no wagon.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #37
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette
Quote:
Cadillac.
ATS V-Sport. Nice little car. Too bad no wagon.
I thought they'd threatened an ATS wagon? They had said the CTS would not get another wagon or coupe and I thought they had confirmed there would be an ATS wagon.

I've driven a few ATS, not the V and it's a much more enjoyable car than the F30, but the engines and transmission (manual) are lackluster. The V likely fixes both of those issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #38
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I thought they'd threatened an ATS wagon? They had said the CTS would not get another wagon or coupe and I thought they had confirmed there would be an ATS wagon.
That'd be great. Good timing, too, because I'm old enough for a Cadillac now.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #39
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette
Quote:
That'd be great. Good timing, too, because I'm old enough for a Cadillac now.
I've debated a CTS V wagon a number of times. A pulley swap, larger intercooler and exhaust and they're monsters. My kid could get to daycare sideways!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #40
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
There's alot of truth in what you say. Here, in the wide open inland NW, you see so many BIG suvs and crewcab pickups that a X1 looks more like a short Forrester in traffic. We pay so much less for fuel than Europe, like always, that we're disinclined to change our consumptive ways. Not really sorry about that, just the way it is. God bless fracking!
Indeed, I went sevral times in the US, for work and holiday. Had to rent a car several times. All cars are big in your country and the X1 looks sooooo small So I guess you really like your car since you went for it and have so many other big cars with big engines (and nice sound).

I had the opportunity to drive a Tahoe here in Switzerland. It was around 2" higher than stock, and it looked soooo big. I think I still have a picture of it with my little Corsa, it was ridicoulous. I remember the roof of my Corsa was below the exterior mirror of the Tahoe. The Tahoe made me feel somehow like the king of the road. So big and high that even the biggest Range Rover looked small to me. But it was ridicoulous. Wondering if the Tahoe would enter that parking or fit in that spot is not fun
Fact is I like small cars, and to me the X1 is already kind of too big.
      05-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #41
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX1Sdrive28i View Post
Why is the X1 so rare and mistreated? (Please Read)
poorly marketed and aimed at two completely different demographics. the same issue audi had with the 3.2Q A3 S-Line, B6/B7 S4 Avant. beautiful car and hardly any sold and the ones that did people that saw them never knew they existed. similar issue with the acura wagon that was short lived but i think that also had to do with only being available in FWD (fail wheel drive). you're going after either a person who wants an affordable hatch or an enthusiast who wants a "hothatch". those two people rarely cross paths and their idea of "value" are two different things... the person shopping a base model 28i with absolutely no options is not the same person shopping a 35i m-sport fully loaded.

so who buys the car? obviously not too many enthusiasts and not too many value seekers. a 2012/2013 mdx is priced the same as a 2013/2014 x1 35i. so the person who shops value will most likely go with mdx. a 2012/2013 pilot is priced the same as a 2014 x1 28i. so the person shopping economic practical value is going with the pilot.

in the end you have a rare car that needs a rare owner. very difficult task to move quantity when you specialize in rarity.

this is only my theory and point of view... YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #42
Gunric
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i ///M

Hi all,
I am a new 2015 xDrive35i M sport X1 owner. I am coming from a 2005 WRX wagon and this has been the absolute perfect match. I really loved my WRX but I was going to be facing about 5k in repairs in the future (at least that what the dealership claimed). So I was looking for a similar but higher end car. I happened to see an X1 a few months ago in Miami, first time I ever noticed one and really thought it was a great size and shape. Once I discovered there was a 3.0 turbo, I went for it.

One thing I noticed when I was doing some research is that there are not a lot of cars in this space - fast luxury crossover hatchback. 500 miles in and loving it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #43
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I've driven a few ATS, not the V and it's a much more enjoyable car than the F30, but the engines and transmission (manual) are lackluster. The V likely fixes both of those issues.
Biggest issue for Caddy is a tight interior, their cars feel small inside. So perfect for all the midgets here who want to drive minis
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #44
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Biggest issue for Caddy is a tight interior, their cars feel small inside. So perfect for all the midgets here who want to drive minis

That's so funny. My GM drives a Mini, with personal plates the read "Beansy", which for our non-US friends is slang for very small. I'm 6-2/225 with a long torso, and I couldn't even get in the pass. side without crouching, which is difficult with a fused neck.
Appreciate 0