XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #133
aferguson7
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X135i Xdrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantm135i View Post
hey guys i sold my bmw x1 35i m sport i have some of the stuff left over, the jb4 the jb intake extra pair of front rims and tires all of the m sport suspension i had the kw v1 on it when i sold it. sold it with just 10,000 miles on it, didnt mod the x1 until i had 9000 miles. let me know
      04-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #134
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

i paid $42,500 and car max gave me $35,000 with 10,000 miles on her.
i hated the kw v1 suspension it would bottom out, didnt have the money to rip it all out and with all the mods it was not fast enough, i ran 13.0 1/4 mile at 107 mph breaking up on the top end. tired of fighting with it
      04-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #135
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

So I have had the car on the track for three days so far this year, one at Mid-Ohio and two at the National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park. Next weekend I will be at Mid-Ohio again with PCA for two days, then Putnam the week after, and then in June I will be at Watkins Glen!

Since I have all these track days coming up, I have decided to take the car to the next level and really finish it off. I have ordered a Wavetrac limited slip differential for the rear axle, a CSF racing radiator/transmission cooler, and am having Turn In Concepts fabricate me a custom dual-core oil cooler (similar to the kit from Evolution Racewerks).

The car is heavy for sure, but is getting to be extremely fast on the track. At NCM, I had my friend drive (an instructor and far better than me) and he was consistently chasing down race-prepped caymans complete with livery, rollcage, Hoosiers, suspension, etc. $100,000+ cars easily. It was amazing to watch.

The radiator and LSD are going in on Friday the 1st. I will post pics when they arrive. Until then, some pics from the track. Serious hardware as you can see!

upload photo

upload image online

Last edited by paradoxical3; 04-22-2015 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2015, 11:23 PM   #136
Mr_Jack
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3;17791205

[url=http://postimg.org/image/p8mbg10sp/full/
This makes me wish I had ordered 17's instead of 19's. It looks so mean!! I love it!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #137
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 2.8 M-Sport LMB on CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
So I have had the car on the track for three days so far this year, one at Mid-Ohio and two at the National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park. Next weekend I will be at Mid-Ohio again with PCA for two days, then Putnam the week after, and then in June I will be at Watkins Glen!

Since I have all these track days coming up, I have decided to take the car to the next level and really finish it off. I have ordered a Wavetrac limited slip differential for the rear axle, a CSF racing radiator/transmission cooler, and am having Turn In Concepts fabricate me a custom dual-core oil cooler (similar to the kit from Evolution Racewerks).

The car is heavy for sure, but is getting to be extremely fast on the track. At NCM, I had my friend drive (an instructor and far better than me) and he was consistently chasing down race-prepped caymans complete with livery, rollcage, Hoosiers, suspension, etc. $100,000+ cars easily. It was amazing to watch.

The radiator and LSD are going in on Friday the 1st. I will post pics when they arrive. Until then, some pics from the track. Serious hardware as you can see!

upload photo

upload image online
My god you have created a monster. But thats my kind of monster too.
      04-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #138
aferguson7
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X135i Xdrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantm135i View Post
i paid $42,500 and car max gave me $35,000 with 10,000 miles on her.
i hated the kw v1 suspension it would bottom out, didnt have the money to rip it all out and with all the mods it was not fast enough, i ran 13.0 1/4 mile at 107 mph breaking up on the top end. tired of fighting with it
What did you end up buying instead?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #139
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

looking good par.
i didnt end up buying anything yet, i did test drive the new m3 i wasnt very impressed, since i was compairing it to my x1 yes the m3 was faster and nicer looking inside and out but the feel of the x1 35i m sport even with the kw v1 and 255 wide tires all around and cambered the handling was more real had much better feed back and you were one with the car m3 feels to big inside, if that makes since. iam really waiting for the m2.

Last edited by wantm135i; 04-28-2015 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #140
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just got back from the track. I ran with a local Porsche Club chapter, and while they are all extremely nice people (and I think I found a new line through the carousel from my instructor that will be faster), they placed me in the wrong run group. There are four groups - D, C, B, A, in order of slowest to fastest. They placed me in C (likely because I have an X1) when in reality my lap times are equivalent to high B, low A drivers.

It was a pretty funny, but frustrating result. I filmed today's session and am working on uploading them, but in 55 minutes on video I passed 35 cars (26 Porsches). Unfortunately, nobody was even remotely close to passing me all weekend. I feel I was not able to progress as a driver that much. It is hard to work on skills like threshold braking, off-line passing, etc, when you are stuck at 80mph behind novice drivers for lap after lap. I also do not like being the fastest car in a group because it is easy to get lazy and get into bad habits like not checking your mirrors, etc. I much prefer to be on track with faster cars and drivers - it is fun to see what they do differently, what lines work for particular cars, etc.

Because of the very slow traffic I was not able to string a few fast laps together to see what kind of difference the new modifications make time-wise.

That being said, it is clearly evident that the Wavetrac LSD and CSF Racing radiator are two of the best modifications I have done to the car. Frankly, I wish I had installed a LSD a long, long time ago - ahead of the turbo and perhaps even suspension.

I gained multiple things from the LSD that are each huge individually, but when taken in total truly transform the way the car drives:

1. Ability to truly rotate the car and throttle steer. This was impossible before. Mid corner adjustments are just a breath on the throttle away. So much fun.

2. Hugely better tire/brake wear. Since the car isn't trying to control wheel spin via corner braking you are not going to run into the situation where the pads/tires are overheated.

3. The ECU no longer cuts power due to "brake disc temperature too high." Previously it would cut my boost because of over-active corner braking and throw a code for brake disc temp.

4. The ability to put power down and maintain drive through corners is tremendous. I gained 4mph on the back straight at Mid Ohio since I could put power down smoothly and earlier.

5. Most importantly, the car is fun. Just simply fun. No longer do you have that frustrating tire "stuttering" when you turn in tightly - the car just grips and goes. You can throw it around, rotate it, be precise - whatever you want to do.

As for the CSF racing radiator, it allowed me to run the entire day at 100% full power with no coolant issues whatsoever. I was having no problem whatsoever pulling on brand new 991 Carrera S down the back straight. I hit 140mph, which is pretty nuts for an X1.

While the video is uploading, here is a funny picture from one of the vids. A Boxter was in the middle of passing a Cayman, but he saw me coming up on them so fast that he didn't even bother completing the pass before pointing me by. Props to the Boxter driver for great track awareness.
Attached Images

Last edited by paradoxical3; 05-03-2015 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #141
NumberSix
Veloce
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future X1???

You da X-1 Track Champion
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #142
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Another track day...this time at Putnam Park. Fun little track that is very safe (no walls) and faster than it looks. Easy to learn and was turning ok times within a couple of sessions.

Only frustrating thing is that my oil cooler has taken so much abuse from tracking (melted rubber from the tires gets thrown in there) that I would start losing power as oil temps climbed to unsafe levels. Looks like I will need to get that custom oil cooler sooner than I thought! This is probably my fault since I removed the grill a long time ago since my wheels rubbed on it.

Oil cooler totally destroyed:

One of these is not like the others....

Getting the point-by from a Porsche race car

Lol....

image hosting sites
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #143
NumberSix
Veloce
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future X1???

Looks to me like you are out there embarrassing some sports cars
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #144
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
Looks to me like you are out there embarrassing some sports cars
Yes...but then that blue Miata was out there embarrassing me! He was wickedly fast in the corners.

10/10ths Motorsports in general is a wonderful organization to run with. There are tons of fast cars and even more fast drivers. What I like about them is that I usually am not the fastest car out there (usually in the upper third of the run group), where as with BMWCCA or PCA I am usually the fastest. It gives me much more opportunities to practice skills like passing in corners, on-track awareness, planning passes in advance, learning how to be passed safely and consistently, etc. The red Camaro was about the same as me or a little faster, and the C5 Corvette was faster than me as well. 10/10ths doesn't tolerate trains of traffic or poor driver awareness, so it is a lot more fun to run with them compared to any other group I have been with. Not to mention the people are all great as well.

For this track, the corner that gave me the most problem was turn 7. It is a hard braking zone followed by an extremely tight slow-speed right hander. My problem was that I could not get my braking right - either too fast or too slow. I think part of this might be with the way my pads are set up - in the front I have PFC01 (super aggressive) and in the rear I have PFC08 (slightly less aggressive). I think this is shifting brake bias too much to the front and overloading the front tires, reducing overall grip. I am going to try switching to PFC11 in the rear soon. This was really the only corner where people made up significant time on me, but it is at least 1 second and possibly two.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 05-09-2015 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #145
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

Fantastic build thread! Thanks for sharing all the info you have done. I am going to take some of your idea put into practice and use them as well.

That is one amazing X1.

I did have a question, have you noticed any excess oil usage due to the track runs and using the JB4?

I read that the JB4 produces up to 23psi which seems like quite a bit and I was concerned about engine longevity, but with you running full track days at that boost level without issue, I thought I would ask.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #146
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 View Post
Fantastic build thread! Thanks for sharing all the info you have done. I am going to take some of your idea put into practice and use them as well.

That is one amazing X1.

I did have a question, have you noticed any excess oil usage due to the track runs and using the JB4?

I read that the JB4 produces up to 23psi which seems like quite a bit and I was concerned about engine longevity, but with you running full track days at that boost level without issue, I thought I would ask.
I have noticed some. It is strange though - sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. It is never anything like 2L, but after a full track weekend of 2-3 days with 2.5 hours of track time per day, more often than not once I arrive home it will ask me to add a liter. I find typically it burns about .5L to 1L for every 300-400 track miles. But also keep in mind I am using non-oem oil, Shell Rotella T6. To be honest, oil consumption increased after switching to Rotella - though I cannot be sure if this is because my skill level and other mods increased as well. Blackstone reports come back great with Rotella so I am sticking with it. Part of me thinks it is because the oil is getting so hot and thinning out due to my damaged oil cooler - it will be interesting to see if it happens with my new custom one being made.

If you have the JB4 you won't even come close to 23 psi of boost on the 35i engine. Map 1 is 12psi, Map 2 is 14psi, map 5 auto corrects depending on octane with a max of around 18psi.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 11:29 PM   #147
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

Ahhh, I hear ya. I ran Rotella T6 in the Speed and it did use a bit more oil than others I had tried. If your testing shows excellent that I wouldn't worry about it. I know that I started using about a quart every 2500 miles on the Speed when I did some open track driving events. I would suspect that the extra sustained boost is pushing some oil around the seals here and there.

Very good to know about the JB4 and max boost. What map do you use for your street driving vs track time?

Also, what is the boost stock on our cars?

Thanks for keeping up with the thread and questions!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #148
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550xi

Hi, any news?
      05-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #149
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Another track day...this time at Putnam Park. Fun little track that is very safe (no walls) and faster than it looks. Easy to learn and was turning ok times within a couple of sessions.

Only frustrating thing is that my oil cooler has taken so much abuse from tracking (melted rubber from the tires gets thrown in there) that I would start losing power as oil temps climbed to unsafe levels. Looks like I will need to get that custom oil cooler sooner than I thought! This is probably my fault since I removed the grill a long time ago since my wheels rubbed on it.

Oil cooler totally destroyed:

Great mods and write up... Seems like my 35i with the JB4 is just slow trash to your set up.

FWIW, on my Porsche, and many others, put in a smaller mesh material in the front of the grills on the front in an effort to protect the radiators and coolers from damage and trash. There are some on line places to get grill mesh made... for me i went to home depot and got aluminum mesh for gutters and cut them to fit... cuts down on debris and damage to the radiators, coolers, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 07:22 PM   #150
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

my vin # ended with V92046 on the 2014 bmw x1 35i m sport
      05-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #151
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
In my old T-bird, I used old house window screens and cut the pieces to fit the grilles.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #152
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

yep... you can purchase sheets of screening and wrap the IC and OC. it doesn't make it indestructible but it does mitigate damage from bugs and rubber or other track debris.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #153
dirtye84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

does the e90 335i m3 front control arms and wishbones fit the x1?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #154
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtye84 View Post
does the e90 335i m3 front control arms and wishbones fit the x1?
Don't know what 335i M3 control arms are, but if you mean E90 M3 arms (which also fit the 335i), no. Much of the rear stuff will. The front is 335xi/xdrive.
Appreciate 0