Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMsport View Post
don't forget other forums like the 3 series that also has th n20 and those guys also had engines that grenaded itself.
yea, I still call BS on this.
I searched all over for this massive recall and found nothing. I did find something about a tech that reported a few engines with noisy timing chains that he replaced a broken plastic guide. In those cases it was just noise no granading.
Then there are a guy with a database of engines that ceased, which looked to me more like oil starvation.
I also found out that the timing chain in the N20 and N55 is the same, but I am not 100% sure.
So the point I am trying to make is, unless you have concrete evidence do not parrot someone else's BS just because "grenade" sounds impressive.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #134
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

there was no formal recall by BMW but the timing chain problem is real like it or not. do a search in Google on n20 engine failure; n20 timing chain problems; and you will see many links to people having n20 timing chain issues.
BMW also redesigned the timing chain components for a reason.
here is a link to a site with good info to the main problem with the timing chain and you will see that the main problem is the plastic components fail which causes the problem. if you think that it is an isolated incident then I would say take the blinders off.
https://en.wordpress.com/tag/n20
why it hasn't been formally recalled is because BMW is dragging it feet with the nhtsa so that they can limit the total cost of the recall since it is a very costly job at 10hrs+ to do.
also read in the comments that he doesn't have the same problem with the n55 engines. the n55 most likely does not use the same components.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #135
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMsport View Post
there was no formal recall by BMW but the timing chain problem is real like it or not. do a search in Google on n20 engine failure; n20 timing chain problems; and you will see many links to people having n20 timing chain issues.
BMW also redesigned the timing chain components for a reason.
here is a link to a site with good info to the main problem with the timing chain and you will see that the main problem is the plastic components fail which causes the problem. if you think that it is an isolated incident then I would say take the blinders off.
https://en.wordpress.com/tag/n20
why it hasn't been formally recalled is because BMW is dragging it feet with the nhtsa so that they can limit the total cost of the recall since it is a very costly job at 10hrs+ to do.
also read in the comments that he doesn't have the same problem with the n55 engines. the n55 most likely does not use the same components.
The link you posted is aso the only information I could found on this issue, and it is from this site: https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07...g-chain-issue/
No granading or even sudden engine failure. It is timing chain noise that could probably result in engine damage eventually, there is just not enough information. I did not see anything about stretched timing chains or skipped teeth or granading.
So still no massive recall, not even a small recall.
I am not married to my car, and I am not trying to ignore issues. I am just trying to find out what is real and what is BS.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #136
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

when people say grenading it doesn't mean it is going to explode or anything like that. it just means that the engine is done.
if you look at the problem and what is causing the problem you will understand that more engines are or will go to engine heaven than you would like to think. if you scroll down that page you will see he mentions he is seeing more and more of this problem and that he had to change an engine due to this problem.
Appreciate 0