Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-19-2015, 12:58 AM   #1
hessan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 2.5

front suspension what to change first??

Hi there,

I live in a city with extremely terrible roads and numerous amounts of potholes. I remember reading awhile back that it is recommended to change one part of the suspension so that it does not damage the other parts of the suspension

Basically my question is what part needs to be changed first? do all parts related to suspension need to be changed together
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

You'll probably want 17" wheels with higher profile tires. Tire selection can make a difference too so pick a model with a softer ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
flguy400
Rep
Drives: X1

I can't believe what a difference tire pressure can make too.

The weather got cold here and caused one of my tire sensors to indicate low pressure so I added air to that tire but didn't think to check the other tires.

Then I was driving down the highway and the car seemed very erratic like I was being blown all over the road.

I stopped and checked tire pressure, and difference in pressure between the right tire and left was like 5 psi! And the back tires were only 32 psi instead of 38 like recommended.

I adjusted all the tires and the car drove much more smoothly after that.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Bilstein HDs. You can hit anything...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
hessan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Bilstein HDs. You can hit anything...
What part? Wont give me a harsh ride? Reason is pretty much after 2 years everyone here changes their whole front suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #6
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessan View Post
What part? Wont give me a harsh ride? Reason is pretty much after 2 years everyone here changes their whole front suspension
Not harsh at all. They offer a lot more road feel on small imperfections, initially giving the impression that they're "firm". However, unlike the stock shocks/struts, the fair MUCH MUCH better with large impacts. No crashing/bottoming out/etc. Honestly, you feel like you could hit anything with them. Even my wife loves them on all of our cars on crappy Northeast roads.

What do you mean, "everyone changes their front suspension"? Replacing worn out struts? Sure, they tend to wear out early (stock anyway). Are they bending control arms? If they're bending stuff, nothing beyond downsizing your wheels and/or upsizing your tires is going to help that.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
hessan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Not harsh at all. They offer a lot more road feel on small imperfections, initially giving the impression that they're "firm". However, unlike the stock shocks/struts, the fair MUCH MUCH better with large impacts. No crashing/bottoming out/etc. Honestly, you feel like you could hit anything with them. Even my wife loves them on all of our cars on crappy Northeast roads.

What do you mean, "everyone changes their front suspension"? Replacing worn out struts? Sure, they tend to wear out early (stock anyway). Are they bending control arms? If they're bending stuff, nothing beyond downsizing your wheels and/or upsizing your tires is going to help that.
Sounds great, so i should buy the struts ? Or ..... What parts should I purchase?
Appreciate 0