Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-12-2016, 12:48 AM   #1
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Let's talk Warranty Killers?

Hello everyone!

This is my first car, actually my second car, but first car that actually got me into modifying and retrofitting. My X1 is a base Midnight Blue with a sunroof, and while I love my X1, it just seems that if i was able to have certain things added to it, like the power folding mirrors and the i-drive system, i would be more content with my X1.

The bottom line questions is that I am looking to retrofit the i-drive system to my car, but since my car is a lease (don't worry, I am keeping the car after the lease) I am a little worried about if I will lose my BMW warranty if i do so.

I have done some research and I heard that if what i retrofitted causes something else to fail, that may not be covered under warranty.

This scares me a bit, I do want nav as i will be traveling a lot more than now, but I am scared if i do something like that, my warranty might fly out the door.

Also is it true if a dealerships does work for you, like retrofit an item, that if that were to fail, than it will be covered?

Why is this?

What other ways kill your warranty besides:

1. Abusing the car
2. not following maintenance
3. something else causes something to fail

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #2
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Personally I would not modify a leased vehicle. But then again I have no intention of ever leasing one.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Don't forget:
4. If the dealer deems it so

It's really up to the discretion of the dealer and different ones will play that card differently. From what I've heard many dealers will warranty a car even with JB4 on. So if one dealer doesn't warranty it then another might.

Also the warranty is fairly piecemeal, meaning that if your engine goes and ask you've done is suspension upgrades then there's no reason not to warranty.

Of course I've never had personal experience with this so it's just my understanding of what I've seen around
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

I am curious about your retrofit of the iDrive unit. I have looked into it and it seems rather prohibitive.
Appreciate 0