Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Leaf traps under the bonnet

Wonder if you guys have noticed that there are leaf traps inside the engine compartment, right under each bonnet hinge? The leaf traps prevent leaves from entering the drain, so I guess it is important to clear it often?

If it is so important, I really don't know why the BMW designers had to put it so close to the hinge!!! The plastic traps can be removed from the car to be emptied, but space is really limited, so you'll have to tilt the traps in order to slide them out. And when the trap is full of leaves/twigs, the stuff will just fall into the drain hole when you tilt the trap!!! So currently I'm using my hands to reach into the area to grab most of the leaves/twigs out before removing the trap.

And how do we get the leaves/twigs out from the drain hole if it does fall in?

I do not have a covered parking space and there are trees around the lot, so leaves do tend to accumulate in the traps easily.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post
Wonder if you guys have noticed that there are leaf traps inside the engine compartment, right under each bonnet hinge? The leaf traps prevent leaves from entering the drain, so I guess it is important to clear it often?

If it is so important, I really don't know why the BMW designers had to put it so close to the hinge!!! The plastic traps can be removed from the car to be emptied, but space is really limited, so you'll have to tilt the traps in order to slide them out. And when the trap is full of leaves/twigs, the stuff will just fall into the drain hole when you tilt the trap!!! So currently I'm using my hands to reach into the area to grab most of the leaves/twigs out before removing the trap.

And how do we get the leaves/twigs out from the drain hole if it does fall in?

I do not have a covered parking space and there are trees around the lot, so leaves do tend to accumulate in the traps easily.
It sounds like your everything to be perfect no?
I don't see there are any problem tho, just use a air gun or compress air can to blow the stuff out.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

I've got 4 Oak trees in my front garden, so the traps fill up quickly at this time of year. I use an old vacuum cleaner to empty them

J.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Thanks for the recommendations on the air and vacuum cleaner. Well, clogged drains often lead to rain water flooding into the cabin, so I'm pretty careful about it. Leaves are best cleaned out regularly before they start decomposing into soggy stuff.

Yes, I think it's a small thing, but this is my first car to have a real proper leaf trap area to trap/hold leaves (with removable traps too!). And if the BMW designers have spent the time to design it into the car, I suppose it is important not to get leaves down the drain?
Appreciate 0