Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Angry Leaves, leaves everywhere!

Of all the BMW's I've owned, I've never seen such a poor design regarding drainage and leaf accumulation under the hood.

The huge gap between the hood and windshield allows for all sorts of debris to collect in the inconvenient drainage guards at either corner near the firewall. I've resigned myself to having to clean out those areas rather often and live with it.

In a related event, last week the wife started complaining about loud vibration/noise when she turns on the front defroster. This of course, turns the blower fan on full blast, and the entire dash vibrates.

So, I remove the cover to the cabin filter and look down into the blower cage, and lo and behold, what do I find? Two mostly intact oak leaves and a few maple leaf pods!

I vacuumed out all the debris collected that MADE IT PAST THE FILTER! Funny too, the vehicle is due for its 30k service in a few days where the filter should be replaced. Looking at the filter it is pretty clean. Gee, I wonder why? If entire intact leaves can bypass it, pretty much everything else is, too.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

Indeed, our summer house is surrounded by 100 year old white pine trees. The pine needles find their way into the same area in a way that makes them nearly impossible to get out. I now cover the car when I arrive. I had to make a special vacuum attachment just to get them out, and you can never get them all.

I hear ya....
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

I've always wondered what's below those drain guards near the bonnet hinges ( don't get me started on the idiotic placement). I'm sure water will drain out somewhere under the car, so why are they worried about leaves going through? This is my first car that I've seen drain guards being used.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #4
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
My second E39 needed a replacement brake booster because the hidden cavity it lived in had a tiny weeping hole which most likely clogged while on the transporter from the port to the dealer and never worked again. That design I'll never understand...nothing feels so odd as water in the braking system...never want to experience that again (or the cost to repair...I DIY a lot but wasn't going to tackle that mess).
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0