Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

03-06-2011, 05:47 AM   #23
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sD 18d JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushama View Post
I have read somewhere that angel eyes are not provided with normal halogen lights! Is this true?

I have found this

http://www.magdatom-car.eu/index.php...ct&prod_id=573

Is it possible to just buy this and snap in as an upgrade. When I asked the seller he advises to buy some assistive technologies module.
Yes, correct. They come only with Xenon.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #24
kaushama
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

What is the module he is talking about?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #25
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sD 18d JB

Not sure but it costs 800 EUR. That site he pointed to. Which is around the price of Xenon + washers + back tail lights... But yeah, if you "forgot" to buy it with the initial order, that's an option I guess. To buy some custom add on. Not that I'm recommending it, but I never tweaked anything on any of my cars (I only had one so far lol...). Heard of the potential problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #26
Pepe79
Red Devil
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive

Quote:
I have decided on X1. Have only seen space Grey in person yet. Seen various pics of other colors. But as X1 looks a different car altogether in person than pictures, I don't know which is the best color out of space Grey, Black Sapphire and Bronze. My preference is black with beige interior. Any thoughts? Thanks
Choosing a colour was difficult, the car looks good and looks totally different in each colour. My favourites were black, white, red. I choose red. I really liked it in white. Very elegant. Of course black looks cool too. I would not choose silver ones. This is not a "grey" car.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #27
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Pepe, agree with you too, had a chance to buy a great used X1, but it was in Titanium Silver, and looked a bit dull for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #28
aris
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 23d

Garage List
X1
      03-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #29
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
Pepe, agree with you too, had a chance to buy a great used X1, but it was in Titanium Silver, and looked a bit dull for me.
Dull? Was it dirty
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #30
kaushama
Rep

There are so many reviews criticizing the engine noise, interior plastics, firm steering and overall cabin feel! My partner is now pressing me to have 320D LOL
I should stand firm my grounds.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #31
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
There are so many reviews criticizing the engine noise, interior plastics, firm steering and overall cabin feel! My partner is now pressing me to have 320D LOL
I should stand firm my grounds.
What is the price difference? He is correct to some degree but its relative. Ie, yes the plastics are better in the 320 but not bad at all. Better than most other cars for that matter. Also are you looking at a X- or SDrive?

It varies from country to country but you need to check the spec levels as well. In the UK the base X1 is higher specced than the 320d so once you start adding options to bring them up to the same level the 3-series is at least 15% more expensive, and its not available in 4x4 here (which was the clincher).
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #32
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Dull? Was it dirty
I know you have a silver one, that's why I chose my words carefully
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #33
kaushama
Rep

Quote:
What is the price difference? He is correct to some degree but its relative. Ie, yes the plastics are better in the 320 but not bad at all. Better than most other cars for that matter. Also are you looking at a X- or SDrive?

It varies from country to country but you need to check the spec levels as well. In the UK the base X1 is higher specced than the 320d so once you start adding options to bring them up to the same level the 3-series is at least 15% more expensive, and its not available in 4x4 here (which was the clincher).
Same price for both X1 and 320D. Both are quite basic models though. This is sDrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #34
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Same price for both X1 and 320D. Both are quite basic models though. This is sDrive.
Go for the X1, bit more exciting in my opinion.

Less beige as we say here

PS: you have test driven both ?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #35
BitScribbler
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Less beige as we say here
Oi! I just got my sparkling bronze X1, with beige leather!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 03:48 AM   #36
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitScribbler View Post
Oi! I just got my sparkling bronze X1, with beige leather!
Oops, sorry
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 01:21 AM   #37
gish
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota Starlet

Question

I am also planing to buy an X 1 for the same Permit as kaushama. But I was told that it comes only with Run-flat tires. Run-fats are very new to Sri Lanka and nobody(tire dealer) has it out of Colombo. So I am stumped. Don't know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #38
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Gish, I would say not to worry, but avoid potholes, stones and sharp objects where possible, and don't go heavy off-roading. Your BMW dealer will stock the runflats, but if you'll be driving mainly on dirt roads I would insist on std tyres, unless crime is a problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #39
gish
Registered
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
Gish, I would say not to worry, but avoid potholes, stones and sharp objects where possible, and don't go heavy off-roading. Your BMW dealer will stock the runflats, but if you'll be driving mainly on dirt roads I would insist on std tyres, unless crime is a problem.
Thanx Manicm. I won't be off-roading with X1 for it is not meant for off-roading. But avoiding pot holes and stones will be a problem as most of the Sri Lankan roads are full of it.
BMW dealer will have stocks, yes, but I live about 150 km away from them in the hill country. So in case of a flat, I'll be absolutely stranded. The BMW UK web says their X1s' come with non-Runflats as standard. If the local dealers "cannot" get down non run-flats do I have a way around it?

Last edited by gish; 04-16-2011 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #40
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

I would imagine it would be a bit difficult - you can have them replaced with normal tyres but you'll need to find a centre who have the equipment and really know what they're doing.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #41
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gish View Post
Thanx Manicm. I won't be off-roading with X1 for it is not meant for off-roading. But avoiding pot holes and stones will be a problem as most of the Sri Lankan roads are full of it.
BMW dealer will have stocks, yes, but I live about 150 km away from them in the hill country. So in case of a flat, I'll be absolutely stranded. The BMW UK web says their X1s' come with non-Runflats as standard. If the local dealers "cannot" get down non run-flats do I have a way around it?
Hi Gish, welcome to the forum.

One thing about non-RF's, you are pretty well stuck if you get a bad puncture and have no spare at hand. The tyre goo BMW recommend will fix a small hole but not a gash or a cut. With RF's you can still drive, probably the 150km or so to a dealer would be fine. One other thing thats rarely mentioned about RF's is that they are far safer with a high speed blow-out as they will remain on the rim. Different story if you get a sudden blowout on a bend at high speed with RF's.

Another thing, it does not matter what type you have you should pretty much always replace a tyre that has had a flat and been driven for a couple of km, maybe slightly further with a non-RF but you still need to replace it. A flat that becomes apparent when you have been stationary and which can be repaired by a simple plug is about the only scenario imho where I would not replace the tyre.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #42
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

Why not just buy a couple of tyres and keep them at home, presuming someone can put them on for you closer to home, if not buy a couple of rims too and have them fitted, ready to put on if you run into trouble.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #43
gish
Registered
Rep

Question

Thanx guys for your thoughts.

Quote:
One thing about non-RF's, you are pretty well stuck if you get a bad puncture and have no spare at hand. The tyre goo BMW recommend will fix a small hole but not a gash or a cut. With RF's you can still drive, probably the 150km or so to a dealer would be fine. One other thing thats rarely mentioned about RF's is that they are far safer with a high speed blow-out as they will remain on the rim. Different story if you get a sudden blowout on a bend at high speed with RF's.
yeah, I know the safety value of RFs and don't think you can do 150km with them. Still there are some questions that are bothering me,
  • [1]I have read that RFs are not as durable as std tires
    [2]RFs get easily punctured than regular tires, so expensive replacements
    [3]Only BMW in Colombo has RFs and are equipped to handle them(So problem if I go on a trip some where else in the country)
    [4]Std tire for X1 Rs 28,000(Bridgestone) Vs RF Rs 40,000+(BMW); is it feasible in the long run?

I would love to buy an X1 but it is the above qs' that's holding me up.
Its a genuine practical problem in Sri Lanka.
If only there is room for a spare tire..!!!

Last edited by gish; 04-22-2011 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #44
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Quote:
Hi Gish, welcome to the forum.

One other thing thats rarely mentioned about RF's is that they are far safer with a high speed blow-out as they will remain on the rim. Different story if you get a sudden blowout on a bend at high speed with RF's.
Hey Mario,

What do you mean by that last sentence? What happens when you have a sudden blowout on a bend with RF? Could you please elaborate on that? Thanks
Appreciate 0