Diesel 28 87.50%
Petrol 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

02-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #23
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Oh ok Konstantinos, I thought you got your car already. But how I measure my fuel consumption is taking note of how many litres I've filled at the pumps, and then taking note of the kilometres on the odometer when I fill up next. This is easy as I fill up my tank each time.

Not saying you're wrong, but I think the needle on the dashboard could have been! In fact it baffles me why BMW still persist with that analogue fuel consumption gauge.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 02:45 AM   #24
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

[QUOTE=manicm;9006470]Oh ok Konstantinos, I thought you got your car already. But how I measure my fuel consumption is taking note of how many litres I've filled at the pumps, and then taking note of the kilometres on the odometer when I fill up next. This is easy as I fill up my tank each time./QUOTE]

Agreed.
It's the only way to get a proper reading (That's why I had asked Konstantinos in the first place how he determined the gas mileage)

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 02-26-2011 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #25
Konstantinos80
Rep
Drives: X1soon

Thanks for the reassurance!

Yes, I had 5th gear and the indicator was always above 10 so possibly the test car was not in the best shape.

Glad to know that the 1.8sdrive manual petrol car will not have such a consumption! Now just got to wait a few more weeks to pick the car up, post pics and verify the consumption!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #26
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hold on, you said 5th gear? That's probably why it was heavy on fuel, cruising at over 100 you ought to have been in 6th!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #27
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
Hold on, you said 5th gear? That's probably why it was heavy on fuel, cruising at over 100 you ought to have been in 6th!
My point exactly macnim, but after Konstantinos' answer I didn't want to push the issue.
As I suggested above, he might have mistakenly left it in fifth, thus revving the engine unnecessarily and burning more gas.

Hey, it still happens to me once in a while on our Burgundy country roads.. Gear down to 4 and then forget it there, Vaughn Williams' music covering the engine roar...
      02-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #28
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've heard bits of Vaughn Williams and it was fantastic - where do I start?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #29
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

I'm sure he was thinking of the Burgundy Dales when he composed "The Lark Ascending" !

But I digress...

How about "amazon dot whatever" it is in South Africa ?
      02-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #30
HelVan
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 18d

Diesel here aswell... because of the high petrol prices .. and when im gonna sell it again, its much easier selling a diesel here. and of course the economic aspect with lower usage than petrol...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #31
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Wanted more fuel-efficiency, so went for diesel despite a higher price of the car.... and I haven't been disappointed: 6.5 l/100km in mixed traffic, managed to go down to 5 while steady cruising @110 kph on highway.

Find the engine a little intrusive at low rpm though, the whole cabin, gear handle and pedals shaking... that's the only slight disappointment, this is my first bimmer and was expecting a little higher vibration and noise insulation.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #32
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan35 View Post
Wanted more fuel-efficiency, so went for diesel despite a higher price of the car.... and I haven't been disappointed: 6.5 l/100km in mixed traffic, managed to go down to 5 while steady cruising @110 kph on highway.

Find the engine a little intrusive at low rpm though, the whole cabin, gear handle and pedals shaking... that's the only slight disappointment, this is my first bimmer and was expecting a little higher vibration and noise insulation.
Interesting...
No vibration here whatsoever at idling, and it's a 20d.
      02-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #33
Konstantinos80
Rep
Drives: X1soon

Well,

It is going to take longer to solve the mystery... The dealer just rang and announced a two month delay... Pushing it to at least a 5 month wait from Germany to Greece. The problem is in Greek customs..

But I guess it will be worth the wait!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 02:42 AM   #34
jazzo77
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: f20 118i

Quote:

Same engine = same disappointment. Anyway dealer said its ok.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #35
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinos80 View Post
Well,

It is going to take longer to solve the mystery... The dealer just rang and announced a two month delay... Pushing it to at least a 5 month wait from Germany to Greece. The problem is in Greek customs..

But I guess it will be worth the wait!
Aaah. Sorry to hear that my man. I guess you'll have to read us bragging about how wonderful our X1s are a little longer that expected !!
      03-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #36
nathan35
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzo77 View Post
Same engine = same disappointment. Anyway dealer said its ok.
Yes, I also read this in several reviews about the car, so I'm not worried about it. Especially that the sound gets much better and the vibrations dicrease as soon as I start to accelerate
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #37
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Yes, I also read this in several reviews about the car, so I'm not worried about it. Especially that the sound gets much better and the vibrations dicrease as soon as I start to accelerate
Yep, I agree. Diesel has more vibration than the equivalent petrol engines.

I am finding it to be improving marginally the more miles I do. Also of course its less so when the engine is hot.

I do think though that its also because they have skimped a bit on the dampening and soundproofing on the X1. I test drove the 320d which has the same engine and it was much quieter/less vibration.

Anyway, don't care as I think its a great all round car.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #38
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
It's not that bad.... I mean, this ain't a Peugeot 504 atmospheric Diesel mill circa 1973 either. Now THAT was a vibration factory, either hot or cold !!

Frankly I've been driving Diesel cars in Europe for years, and modern common-rail, MPI engines vibrations amount to a shiver when the engine is cold... A non-issue in my humble opinion.
      03-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #39
nathan35
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
I think its a great all round car.
Wouldnt've guessed... you keep surprising me every day
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #40
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Wouldnt've guessed... you keep surprising me every day
Mario has this great sense of.... summary !
      03-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #41
nathan35
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
It's not that bad.... I mean, this ain't a Peugeot 504 atmospheric Diesel mill circa 1973 either. Now THAT was a vibration factory, either hot or cold !!
Sure, everything's relative... the first car I drove was my father's fiat 126p with a rear-placed 2 cyl air cooled engine... well, driving this was probably as close as you could get without leaving the earth to how Gagarin felt on his pioneering flight. So don't talk to me about vibrations
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #42
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Sure, everything's relative... the first car I drove was my father's fiat 126p with a rear-placed 2 cyl air cooled engine... well, driving this was probably as close as you could get without leaving the earth to how Gagarin felt on his pioneering flight. So don't talk to me about vibrations
Hey, I remember that ! A "fancy" Fiat 500 of sorts...
Did the "p" stand for "polski" ?
      03-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #43
nathan35
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Did the "p" stand for "polski" ?
Exactly

The original 126 was discontinued in 1980, but they kept producing the "polski" until 2000!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #44
ady
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 SE 20D

With diesel at £1.39 a ltr in the U.K need I say more...
Appreciate 0