04-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #45
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter crouch View Post
Hey manicm, hows this for murphys law- I had 18" runflats on my E90 325i then changed to normal tyres- gave me a much better ride and lasted me 12 000km more than runflats, i think i did about 48 000km on pirellis. I then heard about the insurance possibly not paying in case of an accident so i changed back to 4 new 18" runflats, cost me about R15 000. One week later, aan idiot came across onto the oncoming lane on the N2 and took me out. Car went spinning, total write off, i was absolutely fine and the insurance paid out in full...how's that for timing on the tyre change?
Looks like non-RFTs attract collisions just like mobile homes attract tornados!
      05-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #46
poscher
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX Sti 9 Spec C

hey guys need some help, really confused over this issue... For some reason I am to get 17" steel wheels in my X1 with run flat tires, and the our dealer is asking for USD 2200 more for genuine BMW X1 alloys. but I want to get BBS alloys from Ebay thats built for X1, just want to whether it will be compatible with the runflat tires?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #47
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by poscher View Post
hey guys need some help, really confused over this issue... For some reason I am to get 17" steel wheels in my X1 with run flat tires, and the our dealer is asking for USD 2200 more for genuine BMW X1 alloys. but I want to get BBS alloys from Ebay thats built for X1, just want to whether it will be compatible with the runflat tires?
Yes you can but you should really use rims that are compatible with run flat tyres. Its a grey area but as I understand it you will lose some of the runflat functionality if you put rf tyres on non-rf rims, ie you cannot drive with them after a flat as they may come off the rims. Non-rf rims are not designed to keep the tyre on when you get a puncture.

When shopping for new rims you need to find ones that are EH2 (extended humps 2) rated to ensure you can still drive on them. The EH2 refers to two extra ridges on the inside of the rims that keep the tyre wall from jumping off when you are driving on a rf flat.

You can however put non-rf tyres on rf rims.

In both cases you would then need to carry a spare or tyre goo/compressor/valve removal tool.

Hope this helps.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela

Last edited by mario486; 05-27-2011 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #48
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Yes you can but you should really use rims that are compatible with run flat tyres. Its a grey area but as I understand it you will lose some of the runflat functionality if you put rf tyres on non-rf rims, ie you cannot drive with them after a flat as they may come off the rims. Non-rf rims are not designed to keep the tyre on when you get a puncture.

When shopping for new rims you need to find ones that are EH2 (extended humps 2) rated to ensure you can still drive on them. The EH2 refers to two extra ridges on the inside of the rims that keep the tyre wall from jumping off when you are driving on a rf flat.

You can however put non-rf tyres on rf rims.

In both cases you would then need to carry a spare or tyre goo/compressor/valve removal tool.

Hope this helps.
Mario, you level of knowledge on such technical matters is always impressive.
      05-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #49
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Mario, you level of knowledge on such technical matters is always impressive.
Agree!!! Tanks Mario
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #50
silber1
Rep
Drives: x1

Is this valve removal tool supplied with the standard compressor tool, which comes with non RF? I don't like to unpack the kit.
Appreciate 0