XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

11-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #1
polarbmw
Rep
Drives: e84 x1

N20 Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power

Friday driving home from work and sudden engine malfunction reduced power message came up on iDrive of 2013 xdrive28i. Engine shaking and could smell gasoline. Limped home and parked. Disconnected battery. Smelled like gas from exhaust. P0304 code misfire cylinder 4. On Saturday, took out spark plug, gasoline on plug, replaced plug and coil. Started car and same issues as above but a lot of white smoke coming from exhaust so I turned off ignition and disconnected battery again. Can you please help me on what else could be the problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #2
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Corrado, Audi S4, X1 128xi

I would be looking at injector and timing chain/guides.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2021, 08:46 PM   #3
Portly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive28i, M2

Perhaps a coil pack failure resulting in cylinder misfire?
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2021, 08:50 PM   #4
polarbmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly View Post
Perhaps a coil pack failure resulting in cylinder misfire?
Thank you for the responses. I actually replaced the spark plug and coil, but that didn't fix the problem, so my next step is replacing the fuel injector on cylinder 4.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:51 AM   #5
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep

Injectors are coded to the ECU just in case you don't know.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2021, 07:33 AM   #6
polarbmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_ring_circus View Post
Thank you for the info
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #7
polarbmw
Rep

Quote:
So I replaced the fuel injector and that looked like it fixed the problem. No engine misfire, no gasoline smell, etc. Took the car out for a little spin to see how it runs and everything seemed fine. Saw a little bit of white smoke coming from exhaust, but by the time I got home it was gone. Ran the scan tool diagnostic just to see if there were any fault codes and I get the 2BC1 code, mixture control, fuel-air mixture too rich and depending on load condition, has to be reduced by 25 to 30%. Any idea what this could be? I programmed the new fuel injector code already. Should I change the oil since I was driving with a bad fuel injector for a short time?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #8
polarbmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbmw View Post
Quote:
So I replaced the fuel injector and that looked like it fixed the problem. No engine misfire, no gasoline smell, etc. Took the car out for a little spin to see how it runs and everything seemed fine. Saw a little bit of white smoke coming from exhaust, but by the time I got home it was gone. Ran the scan tool diagnostic just to see if there were any fault codes and I get the 2BC1 code, mixture control, fuel-air mixture too rich and depending on load condition, has to be reduced by 25 to 30%. Any idea what this could be? I programmed the new fuel injector code already. Should I change the oil since I was driving with a bad fuel injector for a short time?
Cleared codes and rescanned using BimmerLink and no codes. Looks like everything is ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:38 AM   #9
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep

If you had a leaky/bad injector you should change the oil, there will be fuel in it.

Glad you got it figured out!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #10
polarbmw
Rep

Quote:
If you had a leaky/bad injector you should change the oil, there will be fuel in it.

Glad you got it figured out!
Thanks friend,
Yes, you're right, when I drained the oil the smell of gasoline was very noticeable. The oil-gasoline mixture was also not as viscous as just oil so I'm glad I did that because all my efforts replacing the fuel injector would have gone to waste if I didn't simply change the oil afterwards and ended up ruining more parts in the engine. Now I'm not sure if I should keep this x1 or sell it for something different, because the N20 engine is prone to other failing parts from my understanding.
Appreciate 0