XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

07-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #23
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

Hi Kernelkraut,
I'm trying to replace the foglight switch on my X1, however, I don't want to break any tabs or pin behind it.
Do you have a closeup pic of that trim piece or the dash picture after the trim being removed?

Thanks a million!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #24
kernelkraut
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the late reply. I've been away for a while.

@ Serg - I'm not sure if you managed to find the part numbers you need but if not let me know. PM me and I can help you out. I would also recommend getting in contact with Patryk and giving him your VIN. He will be able to make sure that there aren't any unexpected additional parts needed during the install.

@ ohnoyuji - The light cluster is held in place by 2 screws behind that panel you highlighted. As far as I can remember you don't need to remove the instrument cluster just the trim pieces in front. Best place to start is the side trim piece in between the door and the dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #25
Alfons
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Thumbs down LCD Display

Hello Kernelkraut, I live in Barbados in the Caribbean and have recently bought a BMW X1 (brand new). I am interested in retrofiting a DVD, navigation system with a reverse camera. However, I do not know exactly where to purchase the equipment. I would really appreciate hearing from you as to where I can purchase the requisite items required to retrofit the vehicle. I was also told that if the retrofit was not done by the dealers I would void my warranty. Looking foward to your response to this posting. Thanks.
Louis

Last edited by Alfons; 02-17-2012 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #26
kernelkraut
South Africa
Rep

Hi Alfons,

BMW does allow a retrofit of navigation on some of their older models. Unfortunately since the sharkfin antenna appeared on newer models they wont be offering the retrofits anymore because they would have to replace the roof or cut a hole into it... It would just be too much time, effort and the customer would never pay that much.

In my experience Patryk (You can find him on the forum or I can PM you his details) can help you with everything you need from parts (correct for your VIN) as well as all the programming online over the internet.

Hope this helps.

Marcus
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #27
space-godzilla
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X1 sDrive

yikes, I thought I was doing well to upgrade my speakers!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #28
Bushellj
X1 Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 18d SE

Excellent article - Gave me all the information that I needed to install a TomTom in the Dash using the BMW Panel that replaces the box on the top of the dash.

Thanks for making this information available to all.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #29
laercio32
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18i sDrive

OEM Codes

Hello

It is perfect!

I've a doubt do you have OEM code of cable?

How did you change the front air cooler panel position , the size is not the same from up to down?

Thank you

I will do the same here in Brazil ,

Really thank for your post , perfect information
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 03:15 AM   #30
kernelkraut
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laercio32 View Post
Hello

It is perfect!

I've a doubt do you have OEM code of cable?

How did you change the front air cooler panel position , the size is not the same from up to down?

Thank you

I will do the same here in Brazil ,

Really thank for your post , perfect information
Patryk can help you with any OEM part numbers - Each build can be different because of the way your vehicle was built. Cend him your VIN and he can tell you all the parts you need. He can supply at very good price and is very helpful.

The A/C control is actually the same unit as before but the bezel (frame) around it had to be changed. It is a small part and not expensive - again, Partyk can help you and supply whatever you need.

Hope this helps :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #31
dronski
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d XDrive

Kernelkraut, great modification!

I am planning to do the similar modification in my car.

Could you (or somebody else) please give me the P/N's of spares required for the retrofitting of CIC?
VIN is WBAVP31060VT05813

I have contacted Patryk with above mentioned question. The answer was they are not providing any part numbers. If you are interested in any of the retrofits we are offering you can order them from us But I have already bought the CIC (controller, LCD and head unit) in different place.

And also I would appreciate for exact coding that needs to be done for such upgrade.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by dronski; 07-04-2012 at 03:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #32
morski
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D X Drive

I asked the same question to Patryk but never got any reply. Mainly looking for the cables etc

Dronski; can you tell me how much you got you cic units for?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronski View Post
Kernelkraut, great modification!

I am planning to do the similar modification in my car.

Could you (or somebody else) please give me the P/N's of spares required for the retrofitting of CIC?
VIN is WBAVP31060VT05813

I have contacted Patryk with above mentioned question. The answer was they are not providing any part numbers. If you are interested in any of the retrofits we are offering you can order them from us But I have already bought the CIC (controller, LCD and head unit) in different place.

And also I would appreciate for exact coding that needs to be done for such upgrade.

Many thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #33
dronski
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morski View Post
I asked the same question to Patryk but never got any reply. Mainly looking for the cables etc

Dronski; can you tell me how much you got you cic units for?
Thanks
Hi Morski!
I have got the list of p/n's on one of the Russian BMW forums (thnx to Valery Val1X)

65209154413 (GPS ANTENNA WITH BRACKET) from E93 - you can find GPS antenna on Ebay much cheaper
66539245515 (Control unit, reversing camera)
84109229740 (Hands-free charging electronics, High) - it's a Mulf, do not needed if you a planning to install Combox
66212162439 (Reversing camera retrofit kit)
65412208572 (Retrofit kit, USB/audio interface)
65159135687 (Bracket for telematics control unit/SES) - required for installation of combox in the baggage compartment
84132180456 (Bracket) - required for installation of combox in the driver's leg's compartment (above pedals)
84640441949 (Basic hands-free unit, Bluetooth)
61119215854 (HSD - Pipe CIC - USB)
61119129361 (Connecting line HUB/MULFII)
84109257160 (Combox Media) - you can buy on ebay cheaper or you can find telematics unit
66209225822 (Control unit PDC) - for displaying of the PDC on the LCD
61129196805 (Cable set, USB)
61136913644 (Covering cap)
61126960966 (Antenna cable), 61126960976 (Antenna cable) - not mandatory
61136913626 (Universal socket housing uncoded) - 2 ea
61136925156 (HF socket housing, angled)
07119902612 (Hex Bolt) - 4 ea
07119915703 (Self-locking hex nut) - 4 ea
07148263913 (Fillister head self-tapp.screw w collar) - 10 ea
07146960289 (Sheet metal nut, self-locking) - 10 ea
07147122390 (Fillister head screw) - 30 ea
61130006663 (Bushing contact) - 10 ea
61130005197 (Bushing contact) - 10 ea
61138366598 (Flat-spring contact, microtimer) - 10 ea
61138380698 (Plug housing)
61136954526 (Universal socket housing uncoded)
61319167196 (USB socket) - for the glove box
61119185171 (Connecting lead, CIC / display)
41248147832 (Hex nut with flange) - 4 ea
07129906048 (Hex nut) - 4 ea
61119207251 (USB repair cable)
65206959147 (Roof antenna)
65829205177 (Controller) - i-drive joystick
51162991683 (Frame, central operating unit)
61138384580 (Plug housing)
65509224965 (Central information display)
65509210357 (Trim, on-board monitor, 8.8")
51452991260 (Cover, function carrier centre)
51452991262 (Cover, function carrier centre)
51452991264 (Frame)
65129199905 (Replacement CIC)
51452991241 (Trim panel dashboard) - I've seen on some forums and guy who sold me the CIC said that dashboard for Radio Professional can be modified for installation of CIC main unit

All pictures you can find on the realoem.com

Obviously that not all of these spares will be required for the retrofitting of CIC (of course depending on your requirements )

Currently I want to install CIC with BT and USB, but without Navi.
After some study of ISTA D/P I have made some kind of a conclusion that hardware installation is not a big issue. Main concern for me is a coding/programming, I have no idea where to start from.
Recently I have ordered D-Can cable on Ebay, but did not have a chance to play with it yet cause I am in the business trip now and will be at home only in the mid-August.

I have paid for the head unit, LCD including bracket and i-drive controller about 1000 USD (at the current exchange rate, local price is 32000 roubles). Bought all hardware in Russia. Everything is used and imported from USA. Cables are not included.

Average prices in Russia for used CIC (without cables and small stuff) about 1200-1300 USD. Plus 700-800 USD for installation and coding.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #34
morski
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D X Drive

Thanks Dronski,

Well no reply at all from patryk, probably because hes only interested if the items are bought form him/bimmertech. i believe thats bimmertechs policy.

If you get any more info about modifying the original dash frame to get the cic unit to fit would be great. I know the screen fits in the non nav dash for sure but the lower frame is very different and am will to modify it. if its been done by someone then even better.
Awaiting your reply...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #35
dronski
Russian Federation
Rep

Hi guys!

At last I have almost completed installation of CIC on my X1.
I have not received main unit frame yet, so I will have to do some new mods later.
All the hardware part of this retrofit has been done by myself only. No combox installed yet, no coding has been made yet. USB interface was installed as well, but it is still inactive, because it has not been coded yet.
Trim panel dashboard has not been replaced. I have modified the existing panel, you can on the last photo amount of plastic which has been removed from the existing panel ))

CD, radio, car functions and settings work great without any coding. I was also surprised that graphic PDC works great without any additional coding.

Totally spent about 1000 euro for hardware including CIC kit and 0 for installation

Next step is to install combox, bluetooth, make USB interface work and activate DVD in motion. Unfortunately there is no Russian language in the menu, not a problem for me, but my wife is having some troubles with English, so this is one of the things for future mods )) I am thinking about navigation, but have not made the decision yet, cause I do not really need navigation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #36
markridoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive 20d

Amazing job. Out of interest, there are a few Chinese retrofit Sat Nav units around now - they look the biz. Anyone had any experience of these or heard if they're ok or should be avoided? Thanks.

This is one - http://www.autodvdgps.com/8-inch-hd-...13-p-3426.html
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #37
dronski
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markridoo View Post
Amazing job. Out of interest, there are a few Chinese retrofit Sat Nav units around now - they look the biz. Anyone had any experience of these or heard if they're ok or should be avoided? Thanks.

This is one - http://www.autodvdgps.com/8-inch-hd-...13-p-3426.html
Hi.
I would not rely on the Chinese sat nav units. I had an experience of installation of Chinese head unit on my old Focus MK2. In few words: terrible menus and usability was very low. Do not know for how long time it worked after the installation because few months later I've sold the car .

And look at the 3rd picture from the bottom of the page. ORIGINAL Sat Nav unit is shown on this picture, not the unit which they are offering on this web page. In cars without original CIC/Navi, climate control unit is installed under the radio, but on the picture you can seen that climate control is above the radio unit. It means that picture shows original Sat Nav unit.

I do not know people who would install Chinese c-r-a-p in addition to the original Sat Nav.

Personal opinion - forget about non-original equipment.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #38
jiudia
Enlisted Member
China
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernelkraut View Post
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since my last post.. I've finally completed my I-Drive retrofit :-) I thought I'd share some photos and info with you all...

Firstly I have to send out a massive thanks to Partyk for supplying all the necessary parts and for his excellent service! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to all of my friends! Thanks also to Steven and the guys from Lyndhurst BMW in Johannesburg for your help with the project!

First off here are the parts you need if you are wanting to do this retrofit (From BMW Professional Radio with no I-Drive, to I-Drive with Nav etc):
  • New Dashboard (Unfortunately you cannot just remove the storage bin in the dash)
  • Navigation Unit (In this case CIC HIGH)
  • LCD Display incl. mounting bracket (In this case 8" Professional Display)
  • I-Drive Controller
  • LCD Display Surround (Do not confuse with LCD Bracket)
  • New A/C Trim and CIC Trim
  • USB Connector (For glove box)
  • FAKRA GPS Antenna (Recommend Magnetic one)
  • I-Drive controller bracket
  • Cables (USB to CIC, CIC to LCD, Controller to LCD and CIC)
  • FSC Activation codes
  • Owners Manual (If you are pedantic like me...)
  • Set of TORX screwdrivers (Medium sizes all the way through to Large)

NOTE: If you have PDC and want to see the PDC on your new LCD you will need to replace your PDC module as well - Your PDC will still work if you don't but you wont get the visual guide on your LCD if you don't replace the module.

If you would like part numbers etc feel free to PM me or contact Patryk directly. The best way to make sure that you get the right parts is to give him you VIN - That way you can make sure you get exactly what you need.

In total you will need around 4 hours time to remove all the parts and install the new ones, plus around 1-2 hours for all the coding.

Once you have all your parts ready, I would suggest enlisting the help of at least 1 friend (technically minded) to assist.

REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE STARTING!

You will have to remove the centre console in order to easily get the dash out (Remove the Gear lever / Shifter to make access easier). Once you have the centre console out you can start to remove the trim around the A/C. That lets you access to two screws holding in the radio. Once thats out too start removing the Dash trim. Start from the passenger side closest to the passenger door - I would suggest using a proper removal tool as you don't want to scratch you trim pieces :-)

Next remove the glove box and steering wheel completely. You will need to disconnect the passenger and steering wheel AIRBAGS - Try to handle them VERY CAREFULLY :-) Continue with removing the trim around the steering column and then disconnect and remove the instrument cluster. You should now be able to remove the instrument cluster cover. Continue with removing the key holder and then lastly remove the covers over the A-Pillars (Here's where you will need your largest TORX screwdriver) Be careful when removing the A-Pillar covers as there are curtain AIRBAG's behind the covers - Don't worry, you don't need to remover these AIRBAG's... I would also recommend wearing clean gloves to make sure you dont mess up the A-Pillar covers.

You should now be able to remove the entire dash - It is held in place by 4 screws only. This is where a second person comes in helpful :-) With the New Dash in place replace the A-Pillar covers and start installing the LCD Monitor. Connect all the cables to the LCD Monitor and start running them into the dash before installing to make the work easier. Run all the cables to the CIC and install the new CIC. The cable for the controller can be run neatly and there are pre-fitted cable holders to run your cables through (underneath the centre console which should still be removed.)

From there you should be able to replace all the parts in the reverse order.

NOTE: Only install the LCD Surround cover once you have completed the entire install and reconnected the battery to test the unit - the LCD Surround is made from soft plastic (almost like soft rubber) and will not like to be installed and removed too many times.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to do the install - Below are some photos of my install. I would love to hear your comments!

Starting to remove the Steering Wheel:

Radio, Steering Wheel, Glove box, Centre Console and Dash Trim removed:

Dash Storage Compartment removed:

Centre Console Removed (Look at the top right corner you will see a black plastic holder with E84 written on it. Use that to run your controller cable through):

Complete Dash removed (In the right top corner you may notice a flat piece of metal - just to the right of the steering column. This is the perfect place to mount your magnetic GPS antenna - It's flat, its unobstructed and when the install is complete there is nothing in the way not even the instrument cluster):

Another shot of the Dash removed (I suggest also using a nice big box for all your screws etc):

New dash installed (You will notice the A/C trim is now on top instead of under the radio as it was before):

Controller installed (Probably the easiest bit - Just unscrew the small storage bin from underneath and replace with the controller bracket. Then clip in the controller):

Programming the car with Patryk:

Fantastic...
Can you tell how much all of this cost?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #39
ukrboy
Canada
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive28i

Hi there!
We just got our 2012 Xdrive28i. It didn't come with CIC. I'd like to retrofit it into our car. Trying to figure out if a CIC from Europe would work in Canada. Are there any differences, except for maps, of course?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #40
danyro
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3/F25 x30d AT 08/16

Hello guys and nice to see your detailed work also here available for others like me.

I am starting a project like yours - retrofit from bmw radio professional to CIC Professional 8.8 inch.

CAR - X1 E84

I have few high level questions:
1. After physical installing of CIC-HU, do you need to do some rewiring? or the plug from radio professional will fit to CIC HU? I assume that i need to do some wiring..

2. what cables do i need to connect usb and idrive controller to CIC? Maybe some OE numbers would be excellent.

3. what does exactly combox and when should be used?

thanks and looking forward for your help here.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #41
Xandrea1
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 e84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronski View Post
Hi guys!

At last I have almost completed installation of CIC on my X1.
I have not received main unit frame yet, so I will have to do some new mods later.
All the hardware part of this retrofit has been done by myself only. No combox installed yet, no coding has been made yet. USB interface was installed as well, but it is still inactive, because it has not been coded yet.
Trim panel dashboard has not been replaced. I have modified the existing panel, you can on the last photo amount of plastic which has been removed from the existing panel ))

CD, radio, car functions and settings work great without any coding. I was also surprised that graphic PDC works great without any additional coding.

Totally spent about 1000 euro for hardware including CIC kit and 0 for installation

Next step is to install combox, bluetooth, make USB interface work and activate DVD in motion. Unfortunately there is no Russian language in the menu, not a problem for me, but my wife is having some troubles with English, so this is one of the things for future mods )) I am thinking about navigation, but have not made the decision yet, cause I do not really need navigation.
Hi don't You have any picture of The cutted dashboard? Just To understand and see what i have to Cut with dremel . And i don't understand how You screwed up units on The dashboard You cutted. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #42
hamidrm
Registered
Rep

Hi,
I am planning to do the same and was wondering if you can guide me through bits I need to break out from the current dashboard to be able to fit the CIC unit in. Also wondering if you have photo from finished job?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #43
Marcosq
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sdrive 20 2015

Hello! Can anyone tell me how to connect the iDrive controller and the power to the display?

I'm doing this retrofit on my X1, and got all the parts, but I'm still missing the wiring part. Do I have to get any specific harness, w/ the connections for the controller and the display power cord?

Tks!!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 05:52 AM   #44
Kasper_DK
Denmark
Rep

Hi,

Can anyone explain me if it's possible the install the CIC Headunit with a TCU?
I already ordered my Combox and i am planning to retrofit it as well, but its stocked in duty, and heaven knows when it wil be released. It could be everything from 1-3 weeks.

My E84 is from september 2010, the CIC headunit is from week 43/2011 and the Combox is a BN2000, software 2013.

Is it reccomended to update all the software in car?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0