07-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #133
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
_ Cruise Control (sounds like a joke, but it doesn't come standard here)
I wish it didn't here in the US either. That stalk is just in the way when I want to use the light stalk right above it, especially when turning the wheel at the same time.

That you can't see it because the steering wheel obscures it doesn't help. Nor that pulling it up or down both does the same, but in and out doesn't. Nor that it's pull-to-decelerate where the shifter is the opposite.
If it had been a choice here, I would have saved the money.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #134
bmwyouse
Rep
Drives: Buick

Is there a particular time of the year where the deals are better?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #135
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
I wish it didn't here in the US either. That stalk is just in the way when I want to use the light stalk right above it, especially when turning the wheel at the same time.

That you can't see it because the steering wheel obscures it doesn't help. Nor that pulling it up or down both does the same, but in and out doesn't. Nor that it's pull-to-decelerate where the shifter is the opposite.
If it had been a choice here, I would have saved the money.
Thank you for the feedback, Grovsnus! We use the cruise control on open roads with our Passat and other cars we have owned in the past. We have gotten used to having one over the years. I know what you mean on the awkward cruise control mechanism and the stalk location. Even though I haven't used the BMW's yet, our Germany-made Passat has the c.c. stalk located in the same location. I have indeed confused it a few times with the turn signals stalk. I remember it also took me a while to get used to the way it works as it wasn't too intuitive. I guess this must be a German thing. Having said this, some of our summer trips are 10 hours long, so anything to alleviate those long trips helps. We honestly can't see ourselves without c.c., so we decided to suck it up and get it. Let's just hope we don't regret it later.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #136
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwyouse View Post
Is there a particular time of the year where the deals are better?
If you're buying stock from a dealership, I am thinking early in the year... late February to early May. This is the time when dealers are making room for the new cars. BMW seems to launch next year's models really early -- around May.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #137
bmwyouse
Rep

What about ordering? Is that more/less than picking through the stock?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #138
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwyouse View Post
What about ordering? Is that more/less than picking through the stock?
I'm no expert. My understanding is that you will have way more leverage if you pick something from the current stock the dealership has in hand and they're motivated to move quickly. Right around that time (early March) the factory switches to the following year's model, price increases may take place, etc. But hey, you'll be one of the first ones to receive the following year's model. Dealers might still give you some sort of discount. You will have to shop around to see who gives you the best deal on a the latest model of a special order X1. Don't expect much.

So, if your plan is to have a special order X1, my feeling is that anytime of the year should be good. It comes down to shopping around with several dealers and see who's more eager to get your business.

Edit: As you may know, last week of the month is perfect timing to get the best possible deals.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 07-09-2013 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #139
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
I know what you mean on the awkward cruise control mechanism and the stalk location. Even though I haven't used the BMW's yet, our Germany-made Passat has the c.c. stalk located in the same location. I have indeed confused it a few times with the turn signals stalk. I remember it also took me a while to get used to the way it works as it wasn't too intuitive. I guess this must be a German thing.
Quite possibly. Mercedes and Toyota/Lexus use a stalk too, I believe. What might be tricky for you is that VW uses the stalk differently. If you have a separate Cruise Control stalk:

end button: set speed (VW), turn on / resume (BMW)
up (clockwise): speed up (VW), turn off (BMW)
down (widdershins): speed down (VW), turn off (BMW)
pull light: turn on (VW), speed down -1 (BMW)
pull hard: resume (VW), speed down -5 / brake[*] (BMW)
push light: cancel (VW), speed up +1 (BMW)
push hard: turn off (VW), speed up +5 (BMW)

So out of a total of 7 functions, all are different.
Personally, I much prefer to have the functions on the steering wheel where you can see them.
[*]: Yes, the BMW will actually brake, which can be confusing the first few times you experience he car braking on its own.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #140
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
So out of a total of 7 functions, all are different.
Personally, I much prefer to have the functions on the steering wheel where you can see them.
My Ford and Honda were super intuitive with the cruise control function on the steering wheel. Going to the Passat, there was definitely a learning curve with the c.c. on a stalk. On the positive side, this was possibly the first car that really maintained a pretty steady speed on hilly terrain. My previous cars had a tendency to speed up on downhills with the C.C. activated or rev up way too much on uphills... pretty annoying as I had to disengage the cruise control more often, defeating its purpose. We'll see how the X1 behaves with its 8-speed gearbox and all that.

I recently saw a video on youtube on how the X1's cruise control works. Yeah, it seemed a little daunting as it integrates many speed control functions.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #141
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Biggest gripe I have with the X1 is if you're coming up behind someone and want to just decrease your cruise speed a little and grab the wrong stalk you bright the person. :/
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #142
bmwyouse
Rep

Thanks, Chris, I get the idea.

Although it seems somewhat counter intuitive for a dealer to want more for a special order than a unit in stock on the lot. They don't have to pay financing costs for holding a special order on their lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #143
knight427
Registered
Rep
Drives: shopping for bimmer

I am curious about how "incentives" work for the dealer. For example, I have two dealers in my area. Dealer A is offering "Dealer Cost" on some of their X1 models, which is a $3,000 discount from MSRP, but other X1 models only have a $1,000 discount. Meanwhile, Dealer B is offering "Sale Prices" anywhere from $500 off to $5,000 off MSRP of their X1 inventory.

Are these just sale prices, or is the dealer being reimbursed for these discounts from BMW? From reading posts here, it seams like sometimes these incentives can be applied after negotiating a price (say $500-$1,000 over invoice, then take off $X from an incentive and end under invoice), but other times they are part of the negotiated price (and you end up over invoice).

I'm trying to figure out how to negotiate with these incentives. Ideally I would find the invoice price, offer $500-$700 over that as the price before applying incentives. This seems reasonable if the dealer is getting that incentive from BMW. But if the incentive is coming from the dealer, I'd expect that you couldn't use it to go under invoice. Is this about right, or am I missing something?

EDIT: Also, I just found out that Dealer A offers a buy down on the money factor rate by placing up t 7 security deposits (each deposit of $450 reduced the money factor). Does anyone know if this is buying down BMW's rate, or the dealers markup rate?

Last edited by knight427; 07-22-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #144
taxpro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive35i, 2001 540iA

Garage List
Hey mrlancer, Would you tell us the name of the dealer and salesperson you purchased your X1 from as I am looking to purchase an X1 in the SF Bay Area?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #145
Brooklands412
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i xdrive

Talking Ordered mine yesterday

Just ordered 2014 X1 28i xdrive in Pennsylvania.

White exterior
Oyster leather
Lighting
Winter
x Line
Ultimate

Attended the Ultimate Drive event.
Got $1200 under invoice.
Delivery in 6 weeks.
Appreciate 0