XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

11-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #23
koches
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xDrive

Garage List
Watch YouTube videos and just keep clicking away. All of those guys have different ways to do stuff and different philosophies. Good luck man
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #24
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by koches View Post
Watch YouTube videos and just keep clicking away. All of those guys have different ways to do stuff and different philosophies. Good luck man
I've been watching this lately
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWRTHOMq-n8
Mark Rippetoe and crazy Lee Priest videos are my favorite for free weights and machines.
If you have any good youtube videos to recommend ?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #25
Ok
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Try Stronglifts 5x5. It has helped me on several occasions break to a plateau.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #26
Spieltag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW m235 AW/KR-B

Garage List
2015 BMW m235  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
The physical plateaus you mention are extreme examples in world class athletes. I can guarantee the OP is not approaching that, but actually has more of a mental plateau. As he mentioned, he gets bored and then tries to switch things up and gets bored again.

Absolutely agree with you on variation, periodization, and intensity. I think the OP just really doesn't know what to do and needs to get with someone that can guide him a bit (partner or trainer).
I could agree but plateus can happen at the start of workout programs once the initial neurological progress halts (1-3 months). It can also occur pretty easily if initial volumes are too high and not enough recovery is put in. Even if you are going to train by yourself, train smart and make that time count. You don't need to spend 5 hours inthe gym. In fact, with some clients during certain strength and power phases, I keep it under 15 reps total for deadlifts for example. If that is a 5-3-1, with warm ups or it could be a 3x3 variation or you could do 5x2. It all depends on the metabolic response you are trying to achieve. Volume can be achieved in different ways, along with intensity and quality.

Last edited by Spieltag; 11-28-2014 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #27
M5TXGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 BlackSapphireMetallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 330xi View Post
Try Stronglifts 5x5. It has helped me on several occasions break to a plateau.
I'm actually doing Stronglifts 5x5 right now. I would recommend using that to get to new highs. I was stuck for a while and was primarily doing bodybuilding splits. Someone mentioned Stronglifts 5x5 and it helped me break through. I'll continue doing this routine until I do make progress again, then I'll switch it up again.
      11-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #28
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I've been watching this lately

Mark Rippetoe and crazy Lee Priest videos are my favorite for free weights and machines.
If you have any good youtube videos to recommend ?
Jouko Ahola one of my favorite strongmen. He was undersized, but won worlds strongest man twice. Near the end of the video is when it gets good.

Some others to look up Kaz, Platz, Coan, Benni, Pudz, Arnold, Savickas, and anything Soviet pre-1988.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieltag View Post
I could agree but plateus can happen at the start of workout programs once the initial neurological progress halts (1-3 months). It can also occur pretty easily if initial volumes are too high and not enough recovery is put in. Even if you are going to train by yourself, train smart and make that time count. You don't need to spend 5 hours inthe gym. In fact, with some clients during certain strength and power phases, I keep it under 15 reps total for deadlifts for example. If that is a 5-3-1, with warm ups or it could be a 3x3 variation or you could do 5x2. It all depends on the metabolic response you are trying to achieve. Volume can be achieved in different ways, along with intensity and quality.
Agreed, should change things up every 2-3 months. Yes, don't want to overdo the reps on deadlifts as its very highly CNS intensive. Our programs for strongman had more volume than 15 reps but that's an extreme example. We did know how to get ready for a contest though, my last heavy deadlift session was usually 3 weeks before because it took that long for the CNS to recovery.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:47 AM   #29
Spieltag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW m235 AW/KR-B

Garage List
2015 BMW m235  [0.00]
If its a peak cycle before competition I'll often do an overreaching segment of a strength phase, increasing significant volume by targeting reps (for the most part). Followed by a taper to create super compensation with an almost 70% decrease in volume to allow for supercompensation to hit for the event/game/race whatever.

The way I teach all TB lifts be it olympic/power is to always work in progressions.

DL prog:
BW hip hinge
Face the wall squat

once those are mastered:
BB hinge (RDL)
Goblet squat (on wall)

Then go into teaching the full deadlift: I use different ques than the video above but in my opinion it gives and easier way to get into a successful starting position.

shins against bar
Chest up - shoulders packed
Slide palms down thighs (Hip hinge) begin squat once max distance is reached through the RDL motion
Grip the bar
RESET Spine, chest and shoulders.
exhale, Sniff, pressurize, pull
Drive heels through the ground.

I'll see if I can get some video up for the forum members, on how our strength and conditioing department coaches our athletes. Matter of free time hahaha
Appreciate 0