XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-12-2016, 11:46 PM   #1
tony3series
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 35i M-Sport

Omegalink remote start for BMW

I searched but couldn't find any info on the forums about this. Anyone try to install one yet?

Here's the Bav-Auto description and link...

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...jSQhoCSEHw_wcB

"Remote Starter - Omegalink
Plug 'n' play remote car starter for BMWs and MINIs

"Plug 'n' play? Really?" Yes, really! These kits are designed so no wires have to be cut or spliced in your vehicle. Plus you can activate the remote starter in one of several ways. The basic kit uses your factory key fob - simply press "lock" 3 times. Or take advantage of four different RF upgrade kits that extend the range over which you can use the remote starter up to 1/4 mile:

One-button remote (start and unlock), Part number RF10EDP.

Four-button remote (start, lock, unlock, and trunk), Part number RF30EDP.

Four-button remote with two-way transmitter and enhanced functions (confirmation on the transmitter that the vehicle received the command and has started, low-temp/low-voltage start, more), Part number RF50EDP.

And for the ultimate in control, get the GPS smartphone interface which gives you the power to control and track your vehicle from virtually anywhere. Part number B8200001.
Please note: System must be installed and programmed by a professional electronics installer."

Last edited by tony3series; 10-13-2016 at 04:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 04:49 AM   #2
tony3series
Private First Class
Rep

Found some info searching outside of the X1 forums.

This is an old Omegalink remote start group buy that fell through. Read through it and you can basically piece together what is needed to get the job done.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...t=remote+start

Looks like you can currently get everything you need from Amazon for about $410 shipped.

Search Omega OLRSBM1 on Amazon and you should be able to find it. Don't forget to buy the "Omegalink OLLOADER Dedicated USB Interface Cable". It is sold separately and it is needed for install.

Also here is a link to the Omegalink install guide http://cdncontent2.idatalink.com/cor...M-IDS(RS)-BM1-[OL-RS-BM1]-EN_20150121.pdf

And here is a YouTube video of them installing this system on a Dodge Challenger

Hope this helps someone else out who was hunting around for this info.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

No offence to you, but this sounds fishy and reads like a super shitty infomercial.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #4
Aerospike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 M135i

I have to admit, using the OEM remote makes the kit very tempting.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 05:15 AM   #5
tony3series
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
No offence to you, but this sounds fishy and reads like a super shitty infomercial.
None taken.

However, Bavarian Autosport is a legit source for BMW parts. I'm actually surprised the kit hasn't been mentioned much on the forums.

I'm just trying to get some feedback or advice from people on the forums on this system. Whether or not it's worth installing, tips, how it performs etc.

The second post I typed up is basically cliff notes and snippets of info I could find about the system. If anyone has experience with the kit or something to add I'd appreciate the info. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like a remote start on their BMW.

Last edited by tony3series; 10-14-2016 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
m1xmstr
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28i

I ordered the OmegaLink OLRSBM1 and will be installing it on my 2015 E84 X1 xDrive28i once it arrives.

Notes:
You need to flash the module first before putting in the vehicle... Use the WebLink USB interface and a Windows PC (Anti-virus/Windows Defender off) and have to use Internet Explorer...

*Not exactly sure of the procedure as instructions say flash module, then flash add on expander that clicks into the module... Will report back

I am also adding my old 2 way remote add-on from a previous iDataLink install which is just a cable to a small box with the 2 way antenna I believe you also have to flash this unit... If I recall you hook everything together and then flash all of it at the computer...

Then following the video section on WebLink you disassemble, hook up the 2 T-harnesses and proceed to program via the key in the key port. Once set you re-hookup to the computer to flash the "KLON" which is the copy of the key frequency you just set.

Hook backup into the car once more with key fob in key port and the unit is programmed.

Sounds simple but I'm sure there will be some hiccups I'll let you know once I complete it.

### Update after install ###

Install was pretty straight forward. Followed install videos on the WebLink site and all was pretty easy actually. Ribbon cable gave me a little trouble, but it has to be squeezed on both sides to release.

Install and programming was pretty simple, but actually tucking all the harnesses and remote start itself was kind of a pain in the rear.

I was unable to get my old 2 way Compustar addon remote(s) to sync with OmegaLink I believe this was on purpose so that you buy their new RF kit(s) or CarLink Linkr Cell phone addon...

Factory Key (Lock 3X) works great though.

Oddities after install:
-Must use key to unlock doors while remote started (expected) *Handle unlock still works when not remote started.
-After driving and shutting down via push to start/stop I only need to push the button once, where I usually had to push it twice before...

Happy to be able to remote start my car finally.

### Update 2 ###

Factory key fob range was less than par, ordered an installed the MyCar Linkr2 Which uses LTE (Verizon I believe) found a new unit on eBay for $100

Pretty easy to install just clicked into Omega Link BM1

I did start getting the dreaded "Discharge while parked" notification after adding this module, but I also had window tint installed... So possible the shop left my doors open a long time, the IBS sensor on the negative battery terminal went bad, or who knows...

I ended up unhooking the IBS battery sensor at the negative cable and this issue went away... I have been monitoring the car voltage in park I am at around 13.2V while driving 14.1V so no overcharging as far as I can tell. I used Carly to clear the codes and will update again if I find anything else out. My car is a 2015 with the original battery, so it is possible the battery is just on it's way out, but I think the IBS keeps waking up the main ECU and causing the drain probably because it sees the ever so slight draw from the BM1 and Cell phone Linkr device.

#AndBobsYourUncle

Last edited by m1xmstr; 12-18-2018 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: update to install (part 2)
Appreciate 1
AK_Wes3.00
      12-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
DanLewis
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black X1 28i X-Drive

I have it on my car, There is a special flash kit or something you have to go to an authorized installer to have this installed but they only charged me 150. (at least thats what omegalink customer service told me I had to do. Add to that I am not terribly handy and prefer letting the pros do it)

Its a little slow, when you first hit the button three times nothing happens for a few seconds and you are going to think it did not work and hit it again resetting it and causing more delay. It will leave your settings whatever they were when you turned off the car of course so if its cold out make sure your defroster is on!

But if you hit it three times and wait a bit you will see some lights come on then it goes through startup your headlights come on and its on. When you get in put your key in the ignition you do not need to hit start just start driving. While its sitting there it will blink some indicators every once in a while that stops once you get in and put your key and drive away.

So far I love it we have had pretty warm weather for December and I have only used it to defrost the car once but I love that I can. Now if I can just figure out how to have it turn on the heated steering wheel and seats I will be very happy!

My wife's Ford Edge has a remote start settings meaning we can make it always turn on the defroster when we use it etc.. I love that but it was factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:02 AM   #8
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

I'd think hard about how often you're really gonna use it before installing a remote start. I had one put in my wife's Accord about 10 years ago and though we were excited about it at first, I realized after a while she/we barely ever used it. Probably a total of 6-10 times while we owned the car over several years. I definitely wouldn't buy another remote starter.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05X3lover View Post
I'd think hard about how often you're really gonna use it before installing a remote start. I had one put in my wife's Accord about 10 years ago and though we were excited about it at first, I realized after a while she/we barely ever used it. Probably a total of 6-10 times while we owned the car over several years. I definitely wouldn't buy another remote starter.
All depends on where you live..... I doubt an auto start is needed in North Carolina all that often, but in colder climates people use them all the time. I live in Alaska and they are pretty damn popular and well used.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #10
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Wes View Post
All depends on where you live..... I doubt an auto start is needed in North Carolina all that often, but in colder climates people use them all the time. I live in Alaska and they are pretty damn popular and well used.
We weren't living in NC back when we got the remote start, and in fact we've lived in several different states with that same vehicle. I've known others too that found they barely used the remote. But sure, if you can get the use out of it it's a handy thing to have.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #11
tony3series
Private First Class
Rep

Update for everyone. I installed it and I love this thing. I can start my car with my cell phone from anywhere that has cell service and it notifies you that the car started etc. I use the remote start all the time (Michigan winters). I can also use the OEM key fob if I'm just starting it from inside the house since its closer range.

Customer service is great. I had trouble finalizing my set-up when I was installing it and called for help. They stayed on the phone with me the entire time until it was all sorted out and even gave me some other tips to make things easier during install.

Highly recommend it for anyone looking to put a remote start on their BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 12:08 PM   #12
Dhewitt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

What model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3series View Post
Update for everyone. I installed it and I love this thing. I can start my car with my cell phone from anywhere that has cell service and it notifies you that the car started etc. I use the remote start all the time (Michigan winters). I can also use the OEM key fob if I'm just starting it from inside the house since its closer range.

Customer service is great. I had trouble finalizing my set-up when I was installing it and called for help. They stayed on the phone with me the entire time until it was all sorted out and even gave me some other tips to make things easier during install.

Hello, I know this is an older post, but I am looking to install the same this you did in my wife’s car. I got a quote to install one of $1800 CAD which is outrageous. I just want to make sure I buy the right one. It’s -41 C here today so we really need it lol.

Thank you,

Dallas
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 03:12 PM   #13
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhewitt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3series View Post

Hello, I know this is an older post, but I am looking to install the same this you did in my wife's car. I got a quote to install one of $1800 CAD which is outrageous. I just want to make sure I buy the right one. It's -41 C here today so we really need it lol.

Thank you,

Dallas
there is a seller on kijiji that sells the kit for 399$ if you can do it yourself

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-p...nt=app_android
      01-02-2023, 09:00 PM   #14
Botlfed98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

anyone know if this kit is still available?
Appreciate 0