Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #67
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil777 View Post
Just have ours in today at Parkview for the recall and the brakes, as well as the interior trunk light, and the auto wipers that have a mind of their own, and the seat belt tensioner. How much did we pay for this vehicle?? By the way, I asked the Service Adviser about the holes in the engine compartment that are exposed to the left front wheel well (the ones that most of us have covered over with duct tape in true handyman (and handywoman) fashion!) - he noted that the holes were there to provide additional cooling to the turbocharger since it apparently runs very hot in this vehicle close to the underside of the hood, and advised me to take the duct tape off to let it run cooler. He said it was more of an issue in the summer than the winter for obvious reasons... Any thoughts on this? Has anyone heard anything else (other than in the separate thread) on this issue?

By the way, DC - must have just missed you at Parkview - I saw a Deep Sea Blue X1 being driven my one of the service techs, and wondered if it might be yours...
Yike!!! I think only unknowledgeable technician can say those are cooling holes for the turbocharger....

The turbocharger heat is being dissipated thru the intercooler. The engine need cooling too, why don't we need a radiator for??

I forgot to mention that there's also oil that keeps the turbo smooth. So it will not cease under heavy load usage (like track racing)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #68
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440xi Gran Coupe!!!!

Not to mention the turbo and the exhaust run out of the engine on the other side..........

Tech was making sh*t up....because he new there was no good answer aside from BMW being to frugal to engineer proper rubber gasketed block offs.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #69
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian eh! View Post
Not to mention the turbo and the exhaust run out of the engine on the other side..........

Tech was making sh*t up....because he new there was no good answer aside from BMW being to frugal to engineer proper rubber gasketed block offs.
However, with my experience on airplane design, simple gasket will not be a permanent solution.
BMW will need to bond a new sheet metal piece to the opening with proper corrosion inhibiting compound and surface finishing in order to rectify this flaw.

Of course they won't claim it, as this is labour intensive job... but how many km/miles do we cover for corrosion penetration? 6 years? unlimited miles?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #70
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoyuji View Post
However, with my experience on airplane design, simple gasket will not be a permanent solution.
BMW will need to bond a new sheet metal piece to the opening with proper corrosion inhibiting compound and surface finishing in order to rectify this flaw.

Of course they won't claim it, as this is labour intensive job... but how many km/miles do we cover for corrosion penetration? 6 years? unlimited miles?
12 years unlimited km

The edges are painted and sealed, my concerns are more around debris and mess than a belief that this will corrode.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #71
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT, 2012 X1 28i

Quote:
12 years unlimited km

The edges are painted and sealed, my concerns are more around debris and mess than a belief that this will corrode.
Oh well, we just leased ours, so when the lease is up, it will be someone else's concern!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #72
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Yep, that was ours. Had the clamp and pads done and gone by 11am.
The Deep Sea Blue is really beautiful. That's the first 'live' one in that color that I've seen on the road. Kinda makes we wish we went for that colour over our black on black choice (the D. S. Blue was a close second and we waffled a lot before deciding). You made a nice choice D.C.!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #73
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
The Deep Sea Blue is really beautiful. That's the first 'live' one in that color that I've seen on the road. Kinda makes we wish we went for that colour over our black on black choice (the D. S. Blue was a close second and we waffled a lot before deciding). You made a nice choice D.C.!
It was all my wife's choice, but thanks.
      12-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #74
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep

Further note on the brakes - had the front pads replaced yesterday with the new style pads (checked the part numbers and they were definitely the new ones). Had the X1 out first thing this morning - it's squeaking worse than the old ones!!! Once they warmed up they were fine, but until then, it didn't feel at all like I was driving the "Ultimate Driving Machine"! It felt more like I was driving a 15 year old Ford... Hope they can figure out something else - cause this just won't work...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #75
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Further note on the brakes - had the front pads replaced yesterday with the new style pads (checked the part numbers and they were definitely the new ones). Had the X1 out first thing this morning - it's squeaking worse than the old ones!!! Once they warmed up they were fine, but until then, it didn't feel at all like I was driving the "Ultimate Driving Machine"! It felt more like I was driving a 15 year old Ford... Hope they can figure out something else - cause this just won't work...
Wow, sorry to hear this. I listened to my wife's this morning when she left backing out and heard nothing.
Granted it is the first day, but I'll keep on monitoring.
      12-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #76
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you bed them in after the install? That could be the difference. I took it out and ran it up to 100 and down down to 30 five or six time to get them hot and bedded in after they installed them. No sounds since. Can't hurt to try
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #77
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Did you bed them in after the install? That could be the difference. I took it out and ran it up to 100 and down down to 30 five or six time to get them hot and bedded in after they installed them. No sounds since. Can't hurt to try
The tech left a card on the shifter that said to avoid violent braking for the first 125 miles or 200K. Card printed in German, English and French.

Last edited by DUH CAR; 12-17-2011 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Quoted the card
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #78
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The tech left a card on the shifter that said NOT to do any violent braking for the first 100K......
It's interesting - it just seems to depend on what service tech you end up getting - I was given no instructions at all about driving with the new pads. We have gone a bit more than 100 kms since having them installed Wednesday, so perhaps I will try to 'bed' the brakes today and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the tips guys!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #79
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Sigh. Heard a squeak this morning. Will abuse them this afternoon like Canadian e! suggests.
      12-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #80
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep

i guess there's no permanent fix as of today yet with all the input we have....

This should be fix soon BMW!!!

We want our ultimate driving machine, not squeaking brakes and keep going back to the dealer for fix!!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #81
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sigh. Heard a squeak this morning. Will abuse them this afternoon like Canadian e! suggests.
Kinda abused them but squeaking still there. Sigh.
      12-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #82
Legends
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28i

Yes, my brakes squeal too. Took it to Bavaria BMW and they found PUMA 49555397-01 Related ( whatever that means ). Replaced front brakes pads. So far , not a squeal but we'll see. I do notice some brake dust now and none from before.
There are also two recalls : 1. Repair turbocharger vacuum line
2. E84 N20 Program control units (EGS data status )
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #83
dr.rock
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive 28i

Had the front brakes replaced last week at Crowfoot BMW Gallery in Calgary. They told me they are the "updated" pads. Initially they were squeaking a bit in the cold but haven't heard them since the first day. I also noticed a small amount of break dust so maybe these new pads are a bit softer.
No instructions were given on how to, or not to, drive them.
Hopefully this lasts.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #84
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.rock View Post
Had the front brakes replaced last week at Crowfoot BMW Gallery in Calgary. They told me they are the "updated" pads. Initially they were squeaking a bit in the cold but haven't heard them since the first day. I also noticed a small amount of break dust so maybe these new pads are a bit softer.
No instructions were given on how to, or not to, drive them.
Hopefully this lasts.
Thanks Dr. Rock. I just spoke with the dealership again regarding my (replaced) brake pads, and they are recommending that people drive with the new pads for approx. 1,000 kms before returning to the dealership (assuming they are still squeaking). Apparently there is a small raised section on each pad where it contacts the rotor. It can take about 1,000 kms (depending on each driver's braking behaviour) to wear down this raised section and allow the pad to 'seat' properly against the rotor. He noted that if, after 1,000 kms there is still a lot of squeaking, I should bring the vehicle back in and they will check the wear pattern on the brake pads to see if there is anything weird going on from a wear perspective. He also said that since they have been replacing the pads with the new parts, people who have driven more than 1,000 kms on the new ones have not had the squeaking continue. So fingers crossed, it may just go away! Sounds like that may have already happened with yours. Thanks for your post.

By the way, he did say that the repeated aggressive stops to 'set' the pads (which was suggested in the earlier post) may not be the best thing to do, as it might cause some burn marks to appear on parts of the pads (this would only be in situations with multiple aggressive stops performed in minutes).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #85
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
He also said that since they have been replacing the pads with the new parts, people who have driven more than 1,000 kms on the new ones have not had the squeaking continue.
Hmm. They only issued the notice for the new p/n two weeks ago. I doubt that there are that many that have driven the 1000+km.

But there's always hope!
      12-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #86
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hmm. They only issued the notice for the new p/n two weeks ago. I doubt that there are that many that have driven the 1000+km.

But there's always hope!
Yes that's right - hope...and squeaky brakes...!

Last edited by Phil777; 12-20-2011 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #87
mrm83
Private
Rep
Drives: x1

i gave up on the squeaking breaks. i just crank up music so i dont hear anything =D
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #88
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm83 View Post
i gave up on the squeaking breaks. i just crank up music so i dont hear anything =D
Nooooooo! Don't give up. We have to get this problem fixed. #bmwcanada