XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

ScanGauge question. Real boost or requested boost?

So there is someone who is a particularly satisfied customer (I won't name names) of ScanGauge and it has gotten me thinking.

In my GTI people tried similar products in hope of having an electronic boost gauge, but they never worked, or rather they only worked when requested boost was the same as actual boost. If you had a boost leak in your DV, or PVC or some set of various letters that was causing you to lose 3-4 psi you'd never know from the electronic gauges. The only way to tell was from a mechanical boost gauge, butt dyno, real dyno etc.

Does the X1 actually have the sensors such that it can determine actual boost levels? Or are boost leaks perhaps less likely since turbo technology is 6 years older?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpistemicConfusion View Post
So there is someone who is a particularly satisfied customer (I won't name names) of ScanGauge and it has gotten me thinking.

In my GTI people tried similar products in hope of having an electronic boost gauge, but they never worked, or rather they only worked when requested boost was the same as actual boost. If you had a boost leak in your DV, or PVC or some set of various letters that was causing you to lose 3-4 psi you'd never know from the electronic gauges. The only way to tell was from a mechanical boost gauge, butt dyno, real dyno etc.

Does the X1 actually have the sensors such that it can determine actual boost levels? Or are boost leaks perhaps less likely since turbo technology is 6 years older?
My Scanguage shows 18psi on initial kick, then, 12psi for the run up to shift.

You barely push the pedal, and 5psi shows up which is why town mileage is pretty good for the X1 with N20 2.0 L.

On the track I saw about 257 horsepower which is probably slightly high, but it has percent adjustment, so if you dynoed the car you could calibrate your Scanguage.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I honestly don't think that 257 number is a lie. This 28i car has been consistently tested at 6.2 seconds to 100 km/h, too fast for only 241hp
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
I honestly don't think that 257 number is a lie. This 28i car has been consistently tested at 6.2 seconds to 100 km/h, too fast for only 241hp
Yeah, when you squeeze it down to pass from about 30mph the kick is phenomenal.

Driving hard on track it is heat soaked somewhat and the turbo was holding back at 12psi, and that was at 5k ft altitude, but that is where I saw the 257.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

I think my question still remains unanswered...is the boost the actual boost or just what the computer thinks it should be getting?

VW GTI's lack the ability to send actual boost levels via OBDII, the sensors that determine real levels just don't output for some arcane reason. But you'd still get a number on ScanGauge and similar products, just a theoretical number.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, yeah, I don't know, but you can choose MAP or Boost so the map should accurate, and maybe it calculates off the altitude air pressure.

Like the horsepower, I don't need it to be exact number as long as it's consistent.

Then, you can use gauges to find out how different situations impact the engine's efficiency.
Appreciate 0