XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

02-28-2016, 12:30 AM   #1
Riche3
Rep
Drives: X Drive , Jet Black Shines

Bmw tyre issue ... ftm system error in idrive

Help needed .
I had a rear tyre slow puncture in my non run flat ,the idrive told me which wheel ,(it was a nail in the tread ) it was so I took it to the nearest tyre shop and they repaired it for me . they didn't reset for me as it was late in the day

But since this repair I am unable to reset the tyre pressures as the intalisation button is 'greyed' out so will not let me reset it .from idrive .
The idrive puts up a message ' ftm system error ' in idrive and the obc window in the cluster puts on a yellow warning message .

I know the wheel speed sensors give the system readings from tyre size rotation,I have checked them and they are all working from a hand held diagnosis machine

So I can assume it's not a duff sensor

Is it a case of just putting the correct tyre pressures , in as have read on the net that it is critical to put the correct pressure or have I got a software coding issue

Before the puncture I had no idrive messages with this
I have set pressures to psi 32 front 38 rear with no issues before puncture

Help!

Help needed

Last edited by Riche3; 02-28-2016 at 01:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

I assume you're not in US if you have flat tire monitor system based on ABS measurements. I am sure if you read the car with diagnostics tool it'll tell you the exact problem. On my car with tire pressure monitoring system sometimes i need to overinflate the tire so the warning goes away. After the warning is cleared i can reset the system with new pressures if i want.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Uneven wear or a big difference in pressure on the opposite tire of the same axle could prevent ftm from resetting.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 02:24 AM   #4
Riche3
Rep

Thanks for the reply,yes I'm in the uk so its using the abs system to monitor flat tyre pressures .
so it's a different system to USA fitment of valves
The system worked and I could reset the tyre pressures in idrive. But since tyre the repair it comes up with ftm system error.
My code reader flags a tyre deflation but clears

I will try to overinflate my tyres to see if this makes difference but can't see it working ,but hey I'll try anything maybe I'm doing something wrong

Handbook says start engine while stationary reset then drive ,I'm not sure if this correct also not sure what distance I have to travel for the system to learn the new pressures.

Help

Just wondering if anyone out there has come across this issue within planet bmw forum

Last edited by Riche3; 02-29-2016 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #5
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Are you sure they put the correct tire back on?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 01:14 AM   #6
Riche3
Rep

Yes they fitted the original tyre back on ,all ready checked that.
      05-07-2016, 04:33 AM   #7
barzul
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30 Black Saphire

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche3 View Post
Thanks for the reply,yes I'm in the uk so its using the abs system to monitor flat tyre pressures .
so it's a different system to USA fitment of valves
The system worked and I could reset the tyre pressures in idrive. But since tyre the repair it comes up with ftm system error.
My code reader flags a tyre deflation but clears

I will try to overinflate my tyres to see if this makes difference but can't see it working ,but hey I'll try anything maybe I'm doing something wrong

Handbook says start engine while stationary reset then drive ,I'm not sure if this correct also not sure what distance I have to travel for the system to learn the new pressures.

Help

Just wondering if anyone out there has come across this issue within planet bmw forum
hello, f30 user here

I just came across the same problem with you.. my f30 shown a flat tyre message on idrive and dashboard, it happen just after I drive back from wheel shop for wheel alignment and I add 38 psi for my 20inch wheel

so I do the reset on the idrive (same step like you mentioned, but i perform it during highway traffic ), after reset just drive your car normally for a while and voila those flat tyre message will disappear

hope this help
      06-02-2023, 05:47 PM   #8
abuzar
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw F30 sport

I have the same problem bro. How did it go away ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche3 View Post
Help needed .
I had a rear tyre slow puncture in my non run flat ,the idrive told me which wheel ,(it was a nail in the tread ) it was so I took it to the nearest tyre shop and they repaired it for me . they didn't reset for me as it was late in the day

But since this repair I am unable to reset the tyre pressures as the intalisation button is 'greyed' out so will not let me reset it .from idrive .
The idrive puts up a message ' ftm system error ' in idrive and the obc window in the cluster puts on a yellow warning message .

I know the wheel speed sensors give the system readings from tyre size rotation,I have checked them and they are all working from a hand held diagnosis machine

So I can assume it's not a duff sensor

Is it a case of just putting the correct tyre pressures , in as have read on the net that it is critical to put the correct pressure or have I got a software coding issue

Before the puncture I had no idrive messages with this
I have set pressures to psi 32 front 38 rear with no issues before puncture

Help!

Help needed

I have the exact same issue. FTM error came up after fixing the puncture and its irritating me like anything pls help
Appreciate 0