XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

01-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #23
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
From Alexandria to Fairfax is doable, from Richmond to Fairfax however...especially with traffic...

You essentially would have to take a day off work to get your car serviced or dedicate an entire Saturday to it.
Ah I'm on the mobile app so can't see the location of the OP.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #24
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Another point to consider is really how often you expect your new vehicle to require service. BMW's race to the top in lowest TCO (4 years) effectively limits your properly running vehicle to 4-5 visits during the paid maintenance period.

Can you put up with them for those visits? I don't particularly care for my dealer, but I hold my nose and take it in for the "free" service when necessary. All other service I either do myself or take to an independent after that. I like BMW cars enough to put up with those 5 visits. Do you?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #25
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
You misread. You also missed a major stipulation in the above comments.
No joke. But would you clarify what you said. Maybe I'll be able to see your angle on things.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #26
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
No joke. But would you clarify what you said. Maybe I'll be able to see your angle on things.
Well. Major warranty items are worth a dealer trip (!). Either out of town or fighting with the local one. Other than that, if you can afford to buy the car then you can afford to have the small items done at an indy, or cheaper yet, DIY.

This would be worth it to me if I hated my local dealer and the next closest one was 150+ miles away, but that was the car I wanted. Not worth it to me to drive longish distance for minor bullshit. It's not as financially sound as using the dealer for everything while under the 4 year warranty, but if they'll make unacceptable mistakes and there's no close option AND you want that car, sacrifices must be made.

All whether its worth the extra cash. Sometimes it is for that car that's really special.
      01-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Well. Major warranty items are worth a dealer trip (!). Either out of town or fighting with the local one. Other than that, if you can afford to buy the car then you can afford to have the small items done at an indy, or cheaper yet, DIY.

This would be worth it to me if I hated my local dealer and the next closest one was 150+ miles away, but that was the car I wanted. Not worth it to me to drive longish distance for minor bullshit. It's not as financially sound as using the dealer for everything while under the 4 year warranty, but if they'll make unacceptable mistakes and there's no close option AND you want that car, sacrifices must be made.

All whether its worth the extra cash. Sometimes it is for that car that's really special.
Ok. Gotcha makes sense. There have been times I've opted to go the DIY route but I'm all over the map when it comes to when I would choose that route over going back to the dealer. I remember one time I had this annoying squeak from the front end of my Focus. The car was still covered under warranty but I opted to do some investigating and found out the bolts securing part of the front end assembly were not tightened all the way.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #28
Phaeron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
You could always get your next BMW at Fairfax and take it there to be serviced. I got my 135i there and take it there for warranty services. Really nice/huge service center. It's worth the drive for me. Also try and find a service advisor that you like and stick with them by scheduling appointments specifically with them.
That is the problem I am grappling with. I live in Richmond, so do I want to drive all the way to fairfax to get service or Williamsburg. My wife summed it up as "suck it up" and deal with it or buy something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #29
Phaeron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:

I agree completely with you. I can do majority of my own work... I mean Oil changes to me are fun. The thing is it is kind of a waste to buy a new BMW and not use the oil changes and stuff. Now, having said that I think I will try both and see what happens. I honestly do not like the idea of looking at Audi because I dislike the S4 (the A series is out of the question.). However, I am told the S3 feels light, but I have not yet driven the 228i nor the M235i so I have some test driving to do. I really want a compact car that has some go that I can daily drive and have fun with. There are also some things like the HUD that has spoiled me.. so this is an issue i feel like a spoiled child crying over.. =D
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:42 PM   #30
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

For those worried about service interval, nothing keeps you from doing your own extra oil change in between the free scheduled ones.
      01-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #31
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

If you question BMW's guidance on fluid change intervals, it is fairly cheap (in the order of $25 or so) to get pretty much any fluid tested to see if it is still good or really does need to be replaced. I haven't had my oil tested on my current car, but found that it could safely go MUCH further than my last one's suggested interval. Unless you use your vehicle on the track or lots of short distance with stop and go, or in exceptionally dusty conditions, the large sump (by most brand's norm) and low rpm at cruise, it just doesn't wear the oil out as fast. On my last car, testing also caught an early slow leak of antifreeze into the oil - way before it could start to cause damage. I think it is cheap insurance, and assurance of success or confirmation of your fears.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 02:54 AM   #32
amyracecar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 '97 328is, E82 '11 128is

I do not like the dealership where I live at all...

I have spoken with management and they simply do not care.. They tried to scare me into buying extended warranty for a recent household acquisition etc. which I do not appreciate [last interaction with them]...

I have never bought a car there [and would make the 1.5 hr drive to another dealership that I do like if I were to buy a new car] but have needed to use their service dept for warranty issues in the past and probably will in the future.

I love BMW's despite the local stealership experience-

I do not trust them in the least - so much so that the few times I have had to go there in the past 8 years, I watch every little thing they do to my car... much to their annoyance [and they make sure I know that my behavior is 'inconvenient']

BUT that is the cost to have them eat the bill and while a bit obsessive, I feel my time is well spent making sure they don't molest my car..

I have gone as far as to call in the shop manager when something was not being done correctly.. he agreed and another tech finished that job - since then I still watch but request the same tech now and HE does a good job while the rest seem to slack.. FIND a good TECH [and good SA] at your local dealership? and only let him touch your car

I have a GREAT independent shop that does everything else that I cannot do on my own and they have no issue w/ me pulling up a chair and sitting next to my car while she is operated on.. I always keep old/used parts and make sure I see the old fluids as well..
and one of the mechanics that works there came from... the same shitty dealership i loathe
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:03 AM   #33
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyracecar View Post
I do not like the dealership where I live at all...

I have spoken with management and they simply do not care.. They tried to scare me into buying extended warranty for a recent household acquisition etc. which I do not appreciate [last interaction with them]...

I have never bought a car there [and would make the 1.5 hr drive to another dealership that I do like if I were to buy a new car] but have needed to use their service dept for warranty issues in the past and probably will in the future.

I love BMW's despite the local stealership experience-

I do not trust them in the least - so much so that the few times I have had to go there in the past 8 years, I watch every little thing they do to my car... much to their annoyance [and they make sure I know that my behavior is 'inconvenient']

BUT that is the cost to have them eat the bill and while a bit obsessive, I feel my time is well spent making sure they don't molest my car..

I have gone as far as to call in the shop manager when something was not being done correctly.. he agreed and another tech finished that job - since then I still watch but request the same tech now and HE does a good job while the rest seem to slack.. FIND a good TECH [and good SA] at your local dealership? and only let him touch your car

I have a GREAT independent shop that does everything else that I cannot do on my own and they have no issue w/ me pulling up a chair and sitting next to my car while she is operated on.. I always keep old/used parts and make sure I see the old fluids as well..
and one of the mechanics that works there came from... the same shitty dealership i loathe
I think it's great you pull up a chair and watch I do the same but I would drive the extra miles and use the other dealer.
      01-24-2015, 03:24 AM   #34
amyracecar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 '97 328is, E82 '11 128is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I think it's great you pull up a chair and watch I do the same but I would drive the extra miles and use the other dealer.
I HAD hopes that said dealer would shape up and thought over time [5 years and 2-3 warranty visits]

- I had an excellent 1st dealer experience once upon a time at VISTA BMW in Ft Lauderdale and am still friends with my 1st sales advisor so I really hoped this one would turn their shit around.. hence speaking with mgmt.

Well by now they have proven they won't so I will make the drive if I find myself in need of warranty service again - so disappointing...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:41 AM   #35
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

This has nothing to do with the fact that it's a *BMW* dealership. Assholes are assholes, regardless of what they sell or what they drive.

My first action would be to speak to the big boss of the dealership and ask him how dare his service dept. treat you like that.

If that doesn't help, go over his head and screw them in the ass by reporting this to BMW North America. Do whatever it takes to tarnish their reputation. Write bad reviews, blog posts, and whatever else that will expose their treatment of you. Then see who's laughing.
      02-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #36
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

It's has more to do with who owns the dealership that the actual brand or franchise. Sure there are customer service indexes but that all gets gamed in the end into $$$$$ over service.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #37
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

The problem I find with Audi dealers, and another reason I will never buy one: Is that they are usually in the same dealership as VW, and they treat you like you bought a VW instead of an Audi.

(The other reason is there quality) Between their 2.0L Turbo motors class action lawsuit which was worse than the N54 suit, and their countless electrical problems that my ex had with her Passat.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #38
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeron View Post
So I am nearing the end of my lease........ wife wants an SUV ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeron View Post
...... My wife summed it up as "suck it up" and deal with it or buy something else.
Happy wife, happy life.....go test drive an X5 diesel and be prepared to be shocked by the torque, even without chip tuning. 30+mpg on a regular basis, climbs mountain road with ease, comfy inside, room for lots of gear & toys....eats a lot of gas powered SUVs in 0-60. 2¢
      02-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #39
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

I lease the car and in the two years ive had my car i went to the service center three times. Yes its a huge waste of time as i can never get an appt with a loaner but as others have stated you only go for service 4 or 5 times throughout the term of the lease. I say just suck it up and get it done for free. While i do agree that the bad business habits should be made aware of i can tel you most dealerships dont have stellar service. Its just how things have come to be in america unfortunately. Shitty and apathetic employees who are probably over worked abd paid too little to actually do more than is required. Im happy if i get my service done correctly without a mechanic scratching up my interior or leaving grease everywhere or worse accidently denting the car while its in for service.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #40
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Maybe I am just lucky, but my dealership is great to work with. No hassles and always a friendly attitude.

I have used the same sales associate for over twenty years.
Appreciate 0