XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
Shortstack3000
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xDrive

Black Ice - Yep, I did it

I was heading to work early in the AM and I slid through a totally iced turn.
Hit a huge squared curb head on with both side wheels.

Asked BMW about frame damage 24 hours after they'd had the car, and they quickly said "There's a front and rear frame... The front should be fine, but we need to check the rear." (It's a 2014 328x)

Does this answer jive? What should I look out for? This is going through insurance so shouldn't be any issues with the repairs/costs. They've already told me at least 3 control arms need to be replaced.

Thanks for the input guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortstack3000 View Post
I was heading to work early in the AM and I slid through a totally iced turn.
Hit a huge squared curb head on with both side wheels.

Asked BMW about frame damage 24 hours after they'd had the car, and they quickly said "There's a front and rear frame... The front should be fine, but we need to check the rear." (It's a 2014 328x)

Does this answer jive? What should I look out for? This is going through insurance so shouldn't be any issues with the repairs/costs. They've already told me at least 3 control arms need to be replaced.

Thanks for the input guys!
Sorry to hear about your accident, but I don't think posting this on the next-gen X1 forum is going to bring you much help. Try here: F30/F32/F36 Forum

EDIT: My mistake! Still I'd try the F-series forum though
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #3
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Were you on all season, summer, or winter/snow tires at the time of the incident?

I hit a patch of black ice coming out of a turn in a residential area yesterday. The back end broke lose but fortunately I was sporting Michelin X-Ice Xi3 studless winter tires on my RWD 335i. I attribute the effortless recovery to the tires. $900 for the tires and installation seemed well worth it in hindsight.

Appreciate 0