XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

More thoughts from van Meel on BMW i8M, hybrid M, and more

BIMMERPOST NEWS
More thoughts from van Meel on BMW i8M, hybrid M, and more
COMMENTS

Here is another interview with new BMW M head, Fraciscus van Meel, by CAR, which provides us some more insight into the new M CEO's philosophies and outlook on the M brand.

On whether there is a possibility of a BMW i8 M model:

‘I can see a marrying of BMW’s M and i brands, but I can’t see an i8M just now. There is a very close collaboration between M and i – we have an open-book policy, and each brand can look into the other’s magic box of technologies and ideas. The i team used that making the i3 and i8, looking at the carbonfibre technologies M cars have used for the past ten years. They took that as a basis and enhanced that, and that’s something we’re looking at now to see if that carbonfibre technology can help us with the next generation of M cars. Also, we’re looking at the vehicle dynamic control systems, which are very interesting on the i8. We are not trying to make an i8M though – that would be a mixing of cultures that wouldn’t work. We want to retain our positions without ignoring the good ideas each one has.’

Asked again about all-wheel-drive, he responded:

‘Whatever technology we’re talking about, the properties of an M car must remain rear-wheel drive; very agile, very precise. And I don’t like the phrase ‘four-wheel drive’. Emotionally it sounds stoic, neutral and understeery. If we are talking about M I think we’re talking about rear-wheel drive with added traction. We are looking into those things because power and torque will only increase, and we will run into the necessity of these kind of systems.’

And what about hybrid M models?

‘Again, it has to enhance the properties we have right now without making anything worse. I wouldn’t exclude it but we haven’t found the right system yet to fulfill all these requirements and stay with the philosophy of M. The power-to-weight ratio is the problem – of course you can simply add more power, but that isn’t the smart way. The car may be fast but it will still be heavy, and that is not M.’

Does he consider some models more "M" than others?

‘It is not possible to make all M cars sporty and dynamic; if we did we would miss out on some customers because in different segments there are different needs. If we were to build a hardcore M5 race machine costing over 100,000 euros we would get the hardcore racers but we would miss all the people looking for a car that combines sportiness with luxury. The M6 has both, and what I like to see is that the motorsport team, which is working on the GT3 car [BMW’s replacement for the Z4 GT car, due on track in 2015], is that they can use the sporty genetics of the M6 and leave out the comfort parts, and by doing that they can easily achieve a very, very good racing car. It’s good to see that the essential balance of the car and the drivetrain is being used in a race car, and of course we look at what they’re doing regarding aerodynamics and so on, to see if there’s anything we can transfer back to the series production cars.’

Catch the full interview at CAR.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

"It is not possible to make all M cars sporty and dynamic"

Scary, then why the heck does the M performance line exist if not to allow M cars to be just that, sporty and dynamic and still cover the comfy,fast and M looks segement? Answer M want to build cars for posers that have to own an M even if they don't want a car that drives like an M. Not good.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Holy shit, I cannot believe van Meel just said that. Sporty and dynamic are just about all an M car should be. Everything else should be compromised, to varying degrees, to accomodate sportiness and dynamism.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
And there it is. Official confirmation that M is dead, operated and owned by bean counters and soul sold to the mass market sales numbers devil.
      01-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Hyperbole, this thread has much of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
It is not possible to make all M cars sporty and dynamic; if we did we would miss out on some customers because in different segments there are different needs.
Wat. The whole point of an M brand should be to miss out on some customers!!!
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
And there it is. Official confirmation that M is dead, operated and owned by bean counters and soul sold to the mass market sales numbers devil.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
Pavit
Private First Class
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: Bimmer Beauty

Garage List
You're reading too much into the word "sporty" here... as he explained up, sporty as stripe all comfort\luxury and have only a road demon car... Then it won't be a BMW any longer?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #9
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Leave the fucking M alone jesus christ....
stop the stupid hybrid + awd into M cars....
Soon, the M will sound less appealing than a s-line
      01-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

its only a matter of time before we start seeing awd m5 test mules with electric motors driving the front wheels..
      01-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
"It is not possible to make all M cars sporty and dynamic".

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
+1
2003 330xi (Forever in my heart )
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
I see these as positive statements by the new boss. The fact is that we (car consumers) are horsepower and 0-60 whores and there is no way to increase performance without controlling traction. The only way to advance against the competition is to go AWD. It's just the result of our own desire. Look at Porsche, they dropped the GT2 for this very reason and the 918 is awd as well, due to traction issues. Companies will not be liable for irresponsible people attempting to be a racer boy and kill themselves (and others) in a car that requires a brain to modulate. Welcome to reality. The boss is trying to implement what we all love about M the best he can within the new formula.

Now, BMW like Porsche should offer us more choices. From the base Carrera to the GT3 there needs to be something for everyone. Especially its "hardcore" guys. We are the most loyal and dedicated of all owners. We'll pay MSRP, get a new model every year and a BMW for our wife and kids. It's essential in the brands history and image.

K bye
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #14
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Wink Open-minded to new BMW innovative technologies.

At least Fraciscus van Meel seams to be open-minded with regards to new innovative technologies at BMW M's disposal, combining and working with new concepts for improving driving dynamics. van Meel is jumping right in the deep-end, lets see what they can come up with.

"If we are talking about M I think we’re talking about rear-wheel drive with added traction."

WANTED: An AWD "Rear-Biased" M4 Competition Package & X4M please! And for the girlfriend she will take an AWD "Rear-Biased" M3.

And for the guys that want a M with AWD "Rear-Biased" that can always be an 'option' and so can the RWD as well. I will tick the M AWD "Rear-Biased" option!

Last edited by DCG; 01-16-2015 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #15
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Nothing wrong with a little rear biased xDrive.

I can take a drive in a X3 or a full on X5M and take you wet places faster and more aggressive than any current RWD M car. I can rage in the car beyond belief with stability turned half off or fully off, and the x-car is outstanding and the ass end is very aggressive and you feel the rear pushing and the front adds power and pulls you through the corner and out of the apex. I love m cars. But I absolutely love driving the xDrive cars and especially the X5M/X6M.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #16
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield
its only a matter of time before we start seeing awd m5 test mules with electric motors driving the front wheels..
Now that I'd like to see.

How about electric motors at every corner.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #17
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Nothing wrong with a little rear biased xDrive.

I can take a drive in a X3 or a full on X5M and take you wet places faster and more aggressive than any current RWD M car. I can rage in the car beyond belief with stability turned half off or fully off, and the x-car is outstanding and the ass end is very aggressive and you feel the rear pushing and the front adds power and pulls you through the corner and out of the apex.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #18
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01
I see these as positive statements by the new boss. The fact is that we (car consumers) are horsepower and 0-60 whores and there is no way to increase performance without controlling traction. The only way to advance against the competition is to go AWD. It's just the result of our own desire. Look at Porsche, they dropped the GT2 for this very reason and the 918 is awd as well, due to traction issues. Companies will not be liable for irresponsible people attempting to be a racer boy and kill themselves (and others) in a car that requires a brain to modulate. Welcome to reality. The boss is trying to implement what we all love about M the best he can within the new formula.

Now, BMW like Porsche should offer us more choices. From the base Carrera to the GT3 there needs to be something for everyone. Especially its "hardcore" guys. We are the most loyal and dedicated of all owners. We'll pay MSRP, get a new model every year and a BMW for our wife and kids. It's essential in the brands history and image.

K bye
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #19
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up Within the new formula, welcome to reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post

Now, BMW like Porsche should offer us more choices. From the base Carrera to the GT3 there needs to be something for everyone. Especially its "hardcore" guys. We are the most loyal and dedicated of all owners. It's essential in the brands history and image.

K bye
+1, well said.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #20
rymiller73
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

So....does he understand his target market???
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #21
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Make a M supercar ffs
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #22
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
I was just about to screenshot that hideous quote when I saw a feeding frenzy about it already. Rightfully so. Exactly why BMW (though extremely profitable for the moment) is building itself right into irrelevance.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0